• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Those &$@*ing GameStop/EBGames stickers....

How do you remove them without stretching/ruining the plastic?

If I pick them off manually with my nails I always stretch the plastic, and the sticker residue always remains, nearly impossible to remove by hand. Is there a solution I can purchase that'll eat away at it without ruining the case?

Hate having to buy games new from them at times since it's more trouble than it's worth to remove, but unfortunately they're the only shops in my area that gets the more obscure titles in.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

hairdryer.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

My solution is to not buy games there. Except, like, $5 used games >_>

You could try heating 'em up a little with a hairdryer, and using packing tape or something to pull off the remaining residue (or Goo Gone, of course, but that may result in a case that permanently smells of the Power of Citrus).

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    My solution is to not buy games there. Except, like, $5 used games >_>

You could try heating 'em up a little with a hairdryer, and using packing tape or something to pull off the remaining residue (or Goo Gone, of course, but that may result in a case that permanently smells of the Power of Citrus).
    That's my main use for EB Games, is cheap used stuff. But crap like Blazblue for example, I could not have gotten anywhere else in my area without resorting to online.
    (which didn't work for Blazblue anyway thanks to its extremely limited supply in Canada during launch)

Taping it will stretch the plastic, heating it will warp it, and I'm not sure about Goo Gone, it might be a bit strong, but worth a shot if there's some around the house here somewhere....

A simpler solution would be for Sony to sell blank PS2/PS3 cases. ;/

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I've seen some Gamestop DM's (NJ) require that labels be put under the plastic screen, and on the actual paper insert of the game to supposedly "lower theft".

And yeah, hairdryer is literally the only real way to go. Goo-gone and such may stain the area, along with making your games smell like Orange-Glo.

Retarded policies 101.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Wtf @ lowering theft. Price of the game should be determined by the scanned bar code, no idea why ruining the actual paper insert would benefit any.

[EDIT] Wait, forgot used games require an actual sticker barcode, nvm.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Hydraxis

Scanning the barcode would require them to put a self made new bar code on the box, and that would likely be placed by a sticker as well. I think most GameStop's do this, but yeah, they put a price sticker on there as well. Looks like hairdryer is the winner here.......

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

http://www.carpettool.net/751_cmyk.jpg

heat gun, I use this to remove everything with the name sticker about it.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    That's my main use for EB Games, is cheap used stuff. But crap like Blazblue for example, I could not have gotten anywhere else in my area without resorting to online.
    (which didn't work for Blazblue anyway thanks to its extremely limited supply in Canada during launch)

Taping it will stretch the plastic, heating it will warp it, and I'm not sure about Goo Gone, it might be a bit strong, but worth a shot if there's some around the house here somewhere....

A simpler solution would be for Sony to sell blank PS2/PS3 cases. ;/
    Blazblue I did get from Gamestop, due to Best Buy and the like not having it in when I went and looked. However, I just ask 'em if they have non-gut copies. For that, I saw unmolested copies on the shelf. I've had other games where it's a no, which means more money for Amazon.

Tape won't necessarily stretch it. You just sort of roll it on/off, and it'll pull a little off at a time. Heating is fine if you're careful. It's easy to screw up, sure, but I did enough shrink-wrapping when I worked at Software Etc to know it's not a guarantee.

I've seen some Gamestop DM's (NJ) require that labels be put under the plastic screen, and on the actual paper insert of the game to supposedly "lower theft".
    I've seen that on some too. I don't get it. I mean, I know -their- ideal world is one where we "rent" games from them, but I don't want my collection all stickered up :/

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

In my case I got the first and only copy of Blazblue they had for the PS3, so no choice on ungutted. -.-

But yeah, I'm trying to fix this monstrosity, and that's not displaying the sticker they placed on the manual also -
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...UFF/EBRAGE.jpg

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I just throw those inserts away and pick up a fresh one from the display cases at blockbuster...

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

The people saying hairdryer/heat gun are being serious, and it does work. You can also use Goo Gone.

Vuitton

Lighter fluid also works well. One of my first jobs was at a video store and I was always the one to remove the "new release" gold star stickers from the DVD boxes. In order to do that without ruining the plastic, they gave me lighter fluid and a razer blade. I would cover the sticker in lighter fluid and use the razer blade to slowly peel back the sticker and remove any residue.

Also, there are products you can buy specifically for this task if you don't want to use lighter fluid. Just google "adhesive remover".

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

I always use a combo of hair dryer + 99% isopropyl (rubbing alcohol). Basically the shit I use to clean thermal paste off my CPU lol. It works well in low amounts on paper towels with a hair dryer combo. :O

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Ravenholdt

Use Ronsonols lighter fluid to remove stickers from plastic.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

This is why I only buy from Best Buy or if I'm desperate Wal-Mart or Toys R Us. Those stickers are a pain in the ass.

Gamestop really should invest in those anti theft plastic cases...

YOU ARE SEARED
    Dungeon Master of the House of Weave

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Any way to focus some heat on the sticker will work just fine. You don't have to superheat it, just get it warm; it'll soften up the glue and make it easily peeled off and then wiped down if necessary.

Drunken Red Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Oh god, those old square stickers are miserable. They still use them at EBs in Canada?

If you're lucky they just stick them to the case / plastic, and they probably have a truckload of spare cases somewhere- each one I worked at had boxes of every type of case. Remove insert / booklet > put into new case. In the event its stuck to the cover art / whatever itself- sorry

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

I worked at a Gamestop for a year, with the yellow stickers, you're pretty much fucked.

The big white stickers however, are easier to remove the shorter they've been on. Aim for those, and ones that look fresh, if the option presents itself.