+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The effects of weed?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Ridill
    BG Level

Guys I get all depressed when I go spend a couple weeks in the mountains playing golf and goofing off and then come back to Kansas and live in reality.

Think it's the weed?

When I'm stoned I find myself enjoying Adam Sandler movies. It depresses the fuck out of me.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

If I lived in Kansas, I wouldn't need a few weeks of golf to make me depressed about living there.

To the OP: start using harder drugs, shrooms and coke are good ones. Shrooms make you laugh for hours while watching Monsters v Aliens, and coke makes you feel like a king.

/lick
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Srs Bsns
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Extended heavy use can make "normal" feel "low" because you've gotten used to the sensation of being "high". Just a matter of the bar being temporarily reset.

Amotivational aftereffects can also feel like depression, but they're not, really.

Science Fiction Super Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

if they're not real but they feel like they are real doesn't that mean they are real at least to the person feeling them

paradoxical statement is a paradoxical

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

weed can make you depressed. it depends on the person. I've known people who smoke an ounce a day and are fine. some people smoke an eigth a week and get depressed.

and the depression can come while you're smoking, or after you stop. again, it depends. if it's the type of depression that comes after you stop smoking, it's likely a symptom of withdrawal, and the worst of it will go away in a few days, while it should clear up entirely within a few weeks to months. marijuana withdrawal can be a lot more difficult than most people would believe, although it's nothing like coming off of heroin. it shouldn't affect you unless you are smoking heavily for a prolonged period (like, a couple weeks at the very least) and stop suddenly, though.

but yes, marijuana certainly has the potential to cause depression.

Science Fiction Super Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

an ounce a day thats right he said it

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

I would do it if I didn't have no worries about getting more.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    weed can make you depressed. it depends on the person. I've known people who smoke an ounce a day and are fine. some people smoke an eigth a week and get depressed.

and the depression can come while you're smoking, or after you stop. again, it depends. if it's the type of depression that comes after you stop smoking, it's likely a symptom of withdrawal, and the worst of it will go away in a few days, while it should clear up entirely within a few weeks to months. marijuana withdrawal can be a lot more difficult than most people would believe, although it's nothing like coming off of heroin. it shouldn't affect you unless you are smoking heavily for a prolonged period (like, a couple weeks at the very least) and stop suddenly, though.

but yes, marijuana certainly has the potential to cause depression.
    1. An ounce a day is retarded, and either those people are severely retarded or, well, they are severely retarded.

2. Weed withdrawal is psychological and is VERY easy to handle if you actually know it's psychological. The problem is people think it's like nicotine and think it's a physical effect that your body needs, whereas it's only a habit that you develop when going outside to smoke your joint and changing that habit makes your day feel empty. Failure to stop smoking weed means a very weak willpower.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg View Post
    Failure to stop smoking weed means a very weak willpower.
    I know I'm gonna be flamed for this but... starting either of them is weak willpower in my book.

Trading my health and money for temporary fake sensations and disgusting smell/breath... I think I'll pass.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arathor

STRAIGHT EGDE 4 LYFE YO. YOU DON'T NEED ANYTHING BUT THE GLORY OF A HEALTHY BODY.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodwahh View Post
    Weeds a stimulant not a depressant, but usually it just exacerbates whatever type of mood you are in. If smoking weed is making you feel shitty then stop smoking for a bit. Simples. How much are londoners paying for an oz these days? Last I heard is was retardedly expensive.

Wrong, you're an idiot. Cannabis is a psychedelic, get your mind right.

STRAIGHT EGDE 4 LYFE YO. YOU DON'T NEED ANYTHING BUT THE GLORY OF A HEALTHY BODY.
    OMFG A BROTHER?!

RIGHT ON DUDE XxXS8EDGEC0REXxX.

Lets mosh sober sometime.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nevex View Post
    I know I'm gonna be flamed for this but... starting either of them is weak willpower in my book.

Trading my health and money for temporary fake sensations and disgusting smell/breath... I think I'll pass.
    What good is your health if you live to 100 and experienced so little. Mind altering substances are amazing. Do you also steer clear of caffeine and alcohol?

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arathor

Quote Originally Posted by Raikku View Post
    Wrong, you're an idiot. Cannabis is a psychedelic, get your mind right.
    Oh shit please forgive me. Change stimulant for pyschedelic and the rest of my post still stands. Smoke up when you already feel shitty and you generally feel shittier, smoke in a good environment and you feel even better.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

SXE, FA SHO FA SHO

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nevex View Post

So you'll also stop eating fastfood, drinking and fucking since they all give you temporary fake sensations and a disgusting smell/breath (depending on the part of your body)?

Smoking weed rationally doesn't mean you're a pothead. Most, if not all of the stories related to weed are the bad ones, like kids driving high and hitting some old hag or, well, those faggots smoking an ounce a day and not doing anything else but being dumb. I usually smoke one solo joint a day at night, after I'm done with studying/work and don't have to do anything else but eat and sleep, and I know many people who do the same and have been for a few years. Will we ever be on the news for being casual smokers who don't endanger other people? No. The ones who will always be exposed are the retarded kids (or adults) who go around high doing stupid shit that they would've been doing anyway on something else (be it alcohol, another drug or even sober).

Pot smokers have a bad reputation in society since the ONLY things that get shown of weed are the bad ones, whereas with alcohol, you are getting constantly hammered with ads that show how fun being drunk can be and shown by your parents that it is okay to drink alcohol (to an extent).

For the health issue, it's the abuse of weed, same as with alcohol, that will hurt your health in the long term. I'm not saying weed is beneficial to the body (one could still argue on that though), but I'm just saying it's not a cancer trap like most people think it is.

tl;dr : dumb fucks are dumb on weed or not

I Have The Clap Again
    BG Level

everyone is wrong..

he said he had been smoking it a lot

he hasn't now and you will have some mild psychological withdrawals that vary from person to person ie. depression in your case.. now did your dad beat you as a child?

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg View Post
    2. Weed withdrawal is psychological and is VERY easy to handle if you actually know it's psychological. The problem is people think it's like nicotine and think it's a physical effect that your body needs, whereas it's only a habit that you develop when going outside to smoke your joint and changing that habit makes your day feel empty. Failure to stop smoking weed means a very weak willpower.
    the problem with marijuana withdrawal is that it quite often works in concordance with other psychological problems, making it much less simple to deal with. in those cases, you can't say that it's a matter of weak willpower. it's a matter of psychological illness. and if you're already suffering from depression or other forms of mental illness, the psychological effects of marijuana withdrawal can be devastating. hardcore depression, unrelenting anhedonia, insomnia, complete loss of appetite, these are not fun things for a normal person, much less somebody who's already deep in the hole.

bottom line, marijuana withdrawal effects vary vastly depending on the person and the circumstance. to say that it's always a matter of weak willpower, or to say that it's always easy to handle, is ignoring the reality of someone else's potential situation.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

First off, I don't smoke marijuana but I use to. I did a study on drugs during Paramedical training a few years ago, mainly focusing on hallucinogenics and marijuana.

Marijuana does not effect serotonin at all, it instead causes a production of anandamide which produces similar but neurologically different effects. Some say that it effects dopamine but this has not been proven, or well studied, and is widely disbelieved. This is why it is now classified as a dependence and not an addiction. Addictions cause chemical imbalances (serotonin and dopamine) in the brain and replace your dependence on natural chemicals with dependence on the drug itself causing seizures and severe withdraws when use stops.

Marijuana does not cause depression, but it can raise blood pressure and cause heart palpitations which lead to panic attacks usually in people 25+, as well as memory loss due to relaxation of the thought process. Other permanent effects on the body are most likely resulting from damage caused by method of consumption.

Marijuana is not good for you so you shouldn't smoke it, but always be skeptical of anti-marijuana common beliefs. Many of them originated due to competition in the paper industry in the United States and have evolved into wife's tales, plain stupidity, or false experiences to protect friends and family.

Of course, I am no expert on the matter, but this is what I remember from my study.