BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Charles Barkley
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

150 Years Ago Today: On the Origin of Species is Published

On this day, 150 years ago, Charles Darwin finally published "On the Origin of Species." It still recieves heavy criticism and skepticism today, especially in the United States, despite ever-increasing evidence supporting his theories.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2883/...theorigino.jpg

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Darwinism

I was honestly wondering why nobody had made this thread yet, and actually thought I missed it.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

inb4 Darw- oh wait.

Miz where are you?

Also Happy Darwin Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Pirian View Post
    I was honestly wondering why nobody had made this thread yet, and actually thought I missed it.
    I made a comment about it in the LHC thread, but I'm sure no more than a couple people actually read that anymore lol.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Someone found a 1st edition of this book in there bathroom book shelf a few days ago. Auctioned for $171,000.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

The US ultra Christians are still pissed their European ancestors lost the whole Earth is the centre of the universe debate so they wont give up on this one for probably another 150 years.

Quote Originally Posted by vagus View Post
    Someone found a 1st edition of this book in there bathroom book shelf a few days ago. Auctioned for $171,000.
    Well only 1250 were printed in the original printing, and 500 of those were bought by a company that circulated books, so 750 for the general public. Of those 750 there are probably not that many left, and of those only a handful are most likely still in good condition. The price seems pretty reasonable for a collector, all things considered.

Mr. Anna Kendrick
    BGs Worst Golde Abuser

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Charles Barkley
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I wonder if Obama believes in natural selection and evolution. Obviously wouldn't voice it, if he did, cause he likely wouldn't be re-elected, but I hope one day a President is man enough to just say "Look, natural selection and evolution are legit concepts, start teaching them in school, stop teaching all other ideas." May seem silly to Euros, but as sad as it is, a President would create a shitstorm if he denounced the Creation story of Genesis and announced he believed that Darwin & Co's ideas are true.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Sepukku View Post
    I wonder if Obama believes in natural selection and evolution. Obviously wouldn't voice it, if he did, cause he likely wouldn't be re-elected, but I hope one day a President is man enough to just say "Look, natural selection and evolution are legit concepts, start teaching them in school, stop teaching all other ideas." May seem silly to Euros, but as sad as it is, a President would create a shitstorm if he denounced the Creation story of Genesis and announced he believed that Darwin & Co's ideas are true.
    unfortunately you're right, the massive shitstorm that would follow would have that guy impeached by the end of the week, were he to announce that. imo bible thumpers need to chill the fuck out and look at the facts
    (not to troll but science > religion)

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Democrats arent asked these questions cause most democrats dont care about evolution as a voting issue, and if anything the Republicans in the 08 primaries who admitted to being creationists were ridiculed in the media more than the darwinists.

I'm not a huge fan of President Obama, but he's actually pretty good on this issue:

Q: York County was recently in the news for a lawsuit involving the teaching of intelligent design. What’s your attitude regarding the teaching of evolution in public schools?
    A: “I’m a Christian, and I believe in parents being able to provide children with religious instruction without interference from the state.
    But I also believe our schools are there to teach worldly knowledge and science. I believe in evolution, and I believe there’s a difference between science and faith. That doesn’t make faith any less important than science. It just means they’re two different things. And I think it’s a mistake to try to cloud the teaching of science with theories that frankly don’t hold up to scientific inquiry.
    Though I doubt this will have much of an affect on policy at all.

I'm pretty sure he's an Atheist, so definitely he believes in evolution. In his book that he wrote before running for president (so we know it contains mostly truth) the chapter "Faith" mentioned how to succeed in politics you absolutely need to join a church. Sort of implies that he only joined because he had aspirations to become a politician, not because he actually believed in that stuff.

Plus he was raised by his atheist grandmother, and went into some detail defending it in his book as well.

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

It's unfortunate that the theory was so often abused, especially when used in terms of social issues and people. Hell, it did not take long for people to start talking about superior races and peoples right after the theory, take Sir Galton for example.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

lol.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Old Merits
    BG Level

Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron are the 2 biggest fuckwits on the face of the planet

Change this later.
    BG Level

He said he does in The Audacity of Hope.

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shuvo View Post
    I'm pretty sure he's an Atheist, so definitely he believes in evolution. In his book that he wrote before running for president (so we know it contains mostly truth) the chapter "Faith" mentioned how to succeed in politics you absolutely need to join a church. Sort of implies that he only joined because he had aspirations to become a politician, not because he actually believed in that stuff.

Plus he was raised by his atheist grandmother, and went into some detail defending it in his book as well.
    Pretty much. You need to pretend to be Christian to get elected pretty much anywhere in the States. The bibletards don't seem to realize that most politicians (regardless of party) are faking it. I'd be willing to wager than most educated "Christians" in this country only bother claiming faith to avoid confrontation.