+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Samurai Jack     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Irish Vagabond
    BG Level

8 mins too late. What Insanecyclone said, with the nouveau resilience/mindfulness therapy sessions sprinkled along the show.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Adajer Vonte
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

Quote Originally Posted by DFJS View Post
    Thank God for YouTube. Dvr decided to cancel the recording and I wasn't about to wait till Wednesday for the replay. So many awesome throwbacks and damn that that Gurren laggan ending. Was such an awesome show.
    my directv dvr did that to me two weeks in a row for samurai jack

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

That ending was extra hot ass tbh

Spoiler: show
    They should have just killed Aku in the future instead. Ashi wasn't the only one to die. Pretty much everyone from that future would have the same effect.

Aku was a major influence in the world. He dictated who lived/died. Where people took refuge, etc. Very unlikely for all the same pairs of ancestors to meet up to the point where the people we saw in the future start being born. Without Aku, people who may have gotten together due to the circumstances of Aku won't, and people who may have never bred (for example dying to Aku) now will. The entire future is going to be a completely different world. Everything Jack did and everyone he saved doesn't mean shit when now they'll never have existed at all.

By destroying Aku in the past, Jack essentially destroyed that entire existence and replaced it w/ a completely new one. We're gonna have new people coming in the future that never would have existed otherwise while everyone we saw is most definitely not ever going to be born

Irish Vagabond
    BG Level

No Creamsoda, there was a choice there. And it's up the viewer to side with or oppose the decision that was presented to us.

It's a bomb shell ending in a sense that it quite counter to what the themes of the story were to that point of the story; but, in the adult-themed Jack world there are consequences.

Even though Jack learned to overcome his past/survivor guilt/ etc and find hope in the future based on the present....he still chose (!!! now, did he choose this or did Aishi? Jack was teleported back to the past, could he have stopped going back?) to go back to the past to kill Aku to spare the suffering Aku would cause in all the years that he was present.

So the question becomes is Jack providing justice for those in the past(so his family wouldn't die, and all the victims of aku from past-to-future), or in the present (by accepting that Aku was part of reality and shaped all the people to the present day and stop him from causing further harm)? Those realities are ultimately at odds with each other when you put time travel into the mix.

The ending was bullshit in that it just didn't discuss the fact that he just wiped off the existence of millions(or whatever) of people/things that he bonded with in the Aku-Future, despite him about to suppoku in a graveyard over a gaggle of children, and it seemed like he was going to have his cake and eat it too with Aishi being in the past.

The real ending is that Jack( or Aishi) ultimately chose to go back and provide justice (and salvation) for the people of the past, with the authority of might is right. But with that might came consequences (that were poorly explored, but at least poignant with Aishi.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

If only...

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

That was bittersweet and I'm gonna need some recovery time.

I feel like Jack's decision wasn't simply 'might makes right,' he was empowered by everyone that supported him along the way and eventually came to his aid. Jack's mission wasn't a secret: everyone knows his goal was to return to his time and undo Aku's rule. I think everyone that helped him decided that just about any option would be better than the world they were living in: even their occasional joys were shadowed by the world Aku made.

I would have liked a glimpse into the future; there are those people who would never have been born, but it would have been a nice sendoff to see the changes in the lives that would have been born, and even more than that, how Jack would be remembered in the future, if at all.

I also have mixed feelings about Ashi's end. I'm pleased they actually dealt with the consequences of Jack's mission and didn't run from it, but I'm wondering why in their travels together, the question never came up.

Finally, I'm low-key mad we never learned Jack's real name.

Definitely deserved an hour or more to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Insanecyclone View Post

gurren laggan all over again
    Was what I was thinking most of the season when Ashi was introduced but I am surprised they actually did it. Ending was a bit all over the place but holy shit at how close it actually gets to TTGL lol

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    If only...

I thought it was backwards, though I'd have to rewatch the first two episodes again.

It's like all those groups in the future were remnants of what the past already had (minus the things that came to the planet because of Aku). At first I thought most of those people showing up were past versions of the future people but it could work either way.

I thought it was a good ending, Aku's entire purpose was evil (and comically at that) so killing him isn't really something you need to think about when essentially a future without him would be better for everyone there. It sucks for Jack and I guess the viewer because you've grown to like the people there but I can't think of the ending as anything but positive. My only issue is that it needed an hour and more time to resolve (because yeah the things on this list would have been nice) but I completely enjoyed the season even if the ending was a little bit of a let down. The original opening was great and Aku didn't disappoint.

Pseudo-Elitist
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Didn't have a problem with the ending really. I mean Jack going back and killing Aku was the only way it was ever going to end; it was literally the intro for the entire show.

One think that was kind of nagging me looking back is that the series was presented as a darker story only to snap back to the original tone basically the second Aku showed up.

Still nice to finally have a conclusion, only wish it could have been a decade ago, or an hour long.

Irish Vagabond
    BG Level

Doesn't it come down to whether or not Jack intended to go back in time though? It seems the fact that Aisha could control Aku's powers was a surprise all round, the episode had already established that there were no more time portals around and he never intended to go back.

On further reflection it seems like the entire premise of this season was him learning to cope with failing innocents to something outside of his control, and moving forward in his goal to stop evil without being consumed by rage/his past/ etc.

Then he gets back to the past (his original intention from the first show), defeats Aku and suffers the consequences of realising he lost Aisha and the others from the Aku-Future, but he sees the ladybird and remembers that while he's in this dark place, he's gotten through it before and has hope for this new Aku-Free-Present.

Bollocks that they didn't explore this more given the slightly condescending emotional-learning they put us through throughout the season. The poignancy of his almost attempt at suicide seems taken away by that ending.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

An hour? No. The length was fine considering the amount of filler thrown into it. Great ending to the series. IMHO, bad ending to an arc that we were lead to believe was darker (and started off as such) to the series. It felt like we got roped in then brought back to the first four seasons. Small complaint of mine. Now that I know it's over, I can definitely show to my younger daughter without issue.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Athas View Post
    I mean Jack going back and killing Aku was the only way it was ever going to end; it was literally the intro for the entire show.
    I always felt the same, until the episode that Jack faces the Guardian:

https://youtu.be/ppMe1I0xVo8?t=7m3s

I mean, the series could have ended right here with about the same impact, but it hinted at something much bigger for Jack, beyond simply going back in time.

Either Tartakovsky forgot about that or abandoned it. Either way, it's still a tiny bit disappointing.

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

Ugh, my gut! I keep my feels there!

Kinda wish Ashi and Jack had a kid(that wouldn't have disappeared). Or that he had stayed in the future and let the past go. I dunno. I didn't like this ending so much the more I Think about it.

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

There was never any chance of Jack staying in the future. Anyone thinking there was doesn't get the character.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Deftscythe View Post
    There was never any chance of Jack staying in the future. Anyone thinking there was doesn't get the character.
    As he was, correct. It makes room for deepening the character and character development.

He's been in this world 50+ years now. Does he sacrifice it and them to bring the dead back and return to the past? or does he realize these people he's living with now aren't worth giving up, that they do deserve to live (because honestly most of them are never going to be born; unlikely to have the exact same pairings of people across multiple generations living under an extremely different world) and dedicate his life to rebuilding the world along w/ the people he's spent the majority of his life with?

Would have made for some interesting development. and even then it could also have nothing to do w/ the "character" to begin with. If all the portals were destroyed, he may have had no choice, defeated Aku in the future, felt sad he couldnt' go back but then vow to rebuild the world and make sure no such evil ever comes back.

Or coulda just did like a dbz time travel w/ creating alternate timelines, having defeated Aku in the future, then going back and defeating him in the past. Making the timeline where Aku was never born and the one where he was defeated and the people there can still move on (rather than just outright being erased from existence)

Instead we get a ladybug and nobody happy.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Deftscythe View Post
    Wat? He continually passed up the chance to go back in time, to save people in aku-future. By changing the past, he erased all of those people, negating pretty much everything he did across the entire show.

Might as well have gone back and killed aku in the beginning of season 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post
    As he was, correct. It makes room for deepening the character and character development.

He's been in this world 50+ years now. Does he sacrifice it and them to bring the dead back and return to the past? or does he realize these people he's living with now aren't worth giving up, that they do deserve to live (because honestly most of them are never going to be born; unlikely to have the exact same pairings of people across multiple generations living under an extremely different world) and dedicate his life to rebuilding the world along w/ the people he's spent the majority of his life with?

Would have made for some interesting development. and even then it could also have nothing to do w/ the "character" to begin with. If all the portals were destroyed, he may have had no choice, defeated Aku in the future, felt sad he couldnt' go back but then vow to rebuild the world and make sure no such evil ever comes back.

Or coulda just did like a dbz time travel w/ creating alternate timelines, having defeated Aku in the future, then going back and defeating him in the past. Making the timeline where Aku was never born and the one where he was defeated and the people there can still move on (rather than just outright being erased from existence)

Instead we get a ladybug and nobody happy.
    The character was developed enough to the point that going full circle was entirely welcomed. It was never about Jack embracing a darker future/life but correcting history and himself. You talk like Jack had all these deep connections but he really didn't. The Scotsman was probably the closest he got to a friend before Ashi and even that's pushing it. Jack's connection has always been to the past.

If he didn't have a choice then sure, but given that you could go to the past and fix years of corruption, death and evil (at the cost of a few good people who wouldn't even know or care that they don't exist) that was his entire goal then why not do that?

In the end we get someone that has chosen a path and is willing to live with it despite the obvious consequence that Aku's future and all that came because of it (good and bad) doesn't exist, because the final scene shows that there was a lot worth saving.

Quote Originally Posted by fantasticdan View Post
    Might as well have gone back and killed aku in the beginning of season 1.
    Not like that wasn't the entire point of the show...???

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    If he didn't have a choice then sure, but given that you could go to the past and fix years of corruption, death and evil (at the cost of a few good people who wouldn't even know or care that they don't exist) that was his entire goal then why not do that?
    This. Jack would never choose the certainty of the entire world suffering for centuries under Aku (not to mention his own family and village being murdered) for an uncertain fate for some people that, despite all, he barely knew and most of whom died in the finale already.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

So... Gurren Lagann?

I found a better ending: