+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PC Build request     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

PC Build request

I'm shopping to replace my computer, and would like some help putting a list together of components. I'm aiming for anywhere between 600 and 800 as a price, and needs to include a OS. I believe I should be able to use the DVD drive from the old machine, and monitor but that's it. Would anyone be able to help?

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

What do you wanna do with that PC for 600-800$ ?

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nicholai Tankyou
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

^what he said.

Well automatically subtract about 200 for the OS unless your some kind of college student. Not going to be able to get anything fancy for ~500, unless your not counting on a GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Waraji View Post
    Well automatically subtract about 200 for the OS unless your some kind of college student or have the internet. Not going to be able to get anything fancy for ~500, unless your not counting on a GPU.
    ftfy

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Buckethead View Post
    ftfy
    ^

Just do yourself a favor and torrent the OS. Otherwise your budget won't get you much of a computer.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

What kind of things are you going to do with this PC? Gaming? Just surfing and e-mail? Graphics work? Need some more kinda info with it.

And I think torrenting the OS is ass-retarded if you value your account info/banking info/etc

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Basic gaming, ffxi, being able to run FFXIV when it comes out, internet.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Well, for about 1000-1200 you could put together a cutting-edge build. However for 600-800 you're going to have to cut back a bit, whether that means getting a core2duo instead of an i7 or a older generation video card is really up to you. You'll probably want to stay away from the expensive enthusiast motherboards and go with a basic Gigabyte or something similiar.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I'd spend more money if it was available, but it's not at the moment. I need something that will get the job done and I realize it will be lacking. Something like the budget gaming pc build MaximumPC did months ago. PC died and need a replacement.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

is it just me or tomshardware site is broken right now?

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I cannot pull it up at the moment, either.

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Cephius View Post
    What kind of things are you going to do with this PC? Gaming? Just surfing and e-mail? Graphics work? Need some more kinda info with it.

And I think torrenting the OS is ass-retarded if you value your account info/banking info/etc
    Not when you run HashCalc on the image and it matches perfectly with a Microsoft-pressed disc.

I hate to hijack a thread, so I hope this helps you out too.

I'm looking at an inexpensive PC for my mom for Christmas. I own an E8400 and am very pleased with it (for now, that i7 920 is calling my name lol) so I was looking at the same for her, but then I noticed that the i5 is fairly close in price. So my question is this: For average non-gamer use, would the extra cores be more beneficial, or the higher GHz of the dual core? This will mostly be used for internet, email, Microsoft Office, and occasionally she has to RDP to work from home. Although I have my CPU overclocked, I intend to run hers at stock speeds.

Here are the builds I'm considering (PSU and video card are intentionally excluded because what she already has will be sufficient):

Quad (i5)

Dual (E8400)

As you can see, only about $20 difference. Cost isn't a factor in this case, just wondering which would be better for an average user, or if any difference would be noticed at all at that level. Any suggestions would be great.

To OP: Both of these builds include Windows 7 Pro in the price and both come in at around $700. Adding a Power Supply and Video Card might put you over the $800 mark, but hopefully this will help you get some ideas. Going with Windows 7 Home will save you some money if you don't intend to use the Pro features (of course, torrenting will save you even more money allowing for a better PSU and Vid card :D). Also, I have 2 hard drives because I plan to set up a mirror for her since she has no backup solution at the moment. That's another area you might want to adjust if you don't need the mirror.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

@ Obiron, if the difference is that close, you might as well go with the i5 just because Although you can save a little bit of money going with current newegg deals on ram ,and if you have a microcenter nearby, you can save $50 buying the i5 chip in store.

Here's a build I put together for Roronoya if anyone wants to critique. http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=16303328 I could save some overall money going with a few deals, but they changed from a normal mail-in rebate to rebate cards. This comes out to $664, except the ram JUST went out of stock today after I put together the build... If he wants to spend more, he can upgrade the video card, cpu, go with a DDR3 board/ram, or switch to an i5 build.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

if your a student go to win741.com and get a copy there, or find someone with a student email address and steal it

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Thanks for the help, everyone. I'll see if anyone I know has a student email, unless someone volunteers after seeing this thread. PM if so.

I tried to put one together using Obiron's build, but I'm not sure what I'm doing. I'm not sure if I should be spending what little I have on a GPU or on mobo/processor. Or if the power supply will offer enough wattage. What's recommended?
    https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/M...px?ID=16305088

Fishstix, thanks for the build. What RAM should be used instead, since it's sold out?

I intend to put in the order for this tomorrow at the latest, holidays be damned.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

This seems ok for a replacement of the one I picked, it's only $10 more and has a faster speed too. For the power supply, a lot of people goes wrong here, thinking more is better, etc. For most people, a 500w should suffice for gaming, the 600/650w versions usually aren't much more expensive, like $10 or so, so might as well. The key is to get a good quality brand so it doesn't fail, taking out your system. Antec, Thermaltake, Corsair, OCZ are the brands I recommend picking from.

fixed the link

Looking at this build, the OEM version of Win7 should save you a bit of money that you can put into a better video card because the ATI 4650 is pretty weak. If you're not playing many games now that require a strong card, going cheap now isn't a bad idea though, it's what I did for my current PC. I chose a pretty crappy $45 card that worked for ffxi and then upgraded the card several months later for Aion.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Some OCZ power supplies are ok at best, but they also have several units capable of killing your machine (high ripple) so I'd stay away from OCZ psu's.

I fail at wishlists, so here's my suggestion:

Mobo + CPU: i5 750 + MSI P55-GD65 http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.294646
    RAM: 2x2gb G.Skill DDR3-1333 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231275
    PSU: Antec Earthwatts EA500 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371007
    GPU: HD4870 1GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150436
    HDD: Seagate 500GB 7200.12 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148395
    Case: CM RC590 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119152
    Win7: W7 Home OEM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116754

Total: $839.92 - $30 MIR = $809.92 + shipping

A little over budget, but not actually all that much more expensive than the build above. That extra $35 or so (assuming you add a PSU to your list) gets you a much faster video card, a better motherboard, and a faster/bigger hard drive.

If you want to cut the price down a bit, I'd say go with an AMD cpu/mobo, much better price/performance. This combo looks pretty decent: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.293456 Saves you around $130.

I put in my order last night for the i5 system. I reworked my wish list a little bit, so this is exactly what I bought:

Quad

I changed the case, just $10 more after rebate. Slightly different mother board. Upgraded the hard drives because the deal on the 640G was too good to pass up. All together the total was $706.92 (factoring in the mail in rebate and a $15 discount I got on Windows 7).

I reworked the list a little bit for you. I removed one of the hard drives and Windows 7 (just in the hopes that you can find a student friend), and added a vid card and PSU.

Roronoya

I have this PSU in my current PC and I love it. Costs a little more because it's modular, but it has a good rebate right now if you're willing to wait for mail in rebates.
    I like Sapphire cards, but there are so many good ones to choose from, this is just a loose suggestion.

Total is $756.92, but $90 in rebates brings it down to $666.92. Leaves a little room to figure out what you want for Windows. If you do buy Windows from Newegg, stick with a "Sytem Builders" pack. Those retail versions cost a lot more, and the only difference (at least that I'm aware of) is that they come in the box and the builders version comes in an envelope.

Edit: I've never used Bing cashback, but it looks like they're doing 10% for Newegg so that should help. I should have looked more closely yesterday lol.