+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dead Pixel...     submit to reddit submit to twitter

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Dead Pixel...

Just bought a new monitor and it has a dead pixel like right in the fucking center. I know stores won't usually take a return on a singular dead pixel.

What are some things I could sasy that is wrong with it to get an exchange? I want to take this back but don't think walking in saying 1 dead pixel is the best course of action.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I take it the store in question doesn't have the usual 14-day no-questions-asked return policy?

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

not sure about the no questions asked, but i'm sure they would if i were asking for an exchange instead of a refund? (the exchange is what i'm going for. The monitor looks beautiful, just that pixel is fucking annoying)

also need them to know its damaged because 15% restocking fee. They're not going to restock something that's damage, so I want to exchange it and avoid that fee all together.

if it's in the return/exchange policy don't worry about telling them about the pixel. Your not happy with it and want to exchange it. Typically there is no restocking fee for an exchange of the same model since it is a manufacturer defect.

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

It's from Compusa btw, in case anyone is familiar with their policy.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Just make sure they don't have a minimum number of dead pixels clause in their fine print. For some places, you'll need as many as 6 dead pixels.

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Well, I'm not sure about the store itself, but the receipt says o about dead pixels at all, but yea, I wanted a back up plan of X not functioning properly so I could get an exchange w/o even mentioning the pixels.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

The online store seems to have a 30 day 'no questions asked' policy on monitors. I'm not sure if that differs from the policy that their normal stores have.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I had this happen before once a long time ago when i got a desktop package from dell, they replaced it np. I would not feel worried about it, a dead pixel is a big deal since it will be there forever always looking stupid and annoying. It is not your fault that they sold you an essentially broken monitor, regardless of their policy i would ask them to replace it because there is no point in buying a new piece of crap.

Short Yellow Bus Driver
    BG Level

what the above said, pretend nothing is wrong.
    More often than not its a 20 year old working the counter, just be like brah, help me out brah.

If it helps, staples will take a monitor back for 1 dead pixel, and they've got pretty competitive prices as well

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by desertigloo View Post
    what the above said, pretend nothing is wrong.
    More often than not its a 20 year old working the counter, just be like brah, help me out brah.

If it helps, staples will take a monitor back for 1 dead pixel, and they've got pretty competitive prices as well
    well i have to pretend something is wrong. Needs to be non restockable, or I get hit w/ a restocking fee. Don't want to pay 22 bucks to replace something that they sold me in a fucked up condition.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Is it dead or just stuck? (Dead is black only, Stuck is any other color including white)

If it is stuck, there are some things you can do that will fix it. If it is dead, although i have never tried this first hand, you can try this:

Clean you hands as best as possible and make sure they are bone dry. Take 1 finger and rub circles around the dead pixel for a little bit (1min or so). Sometimes it may fix it.

Other option I know works for stuck pixel's but have been told should work with dead as well is this:

1. Turn off your computer's monitor.
    2. Get yourself a damp washcloth, so that you don't scratch your screen.
    3. Take a household pen, pencil, screwdriver, or some other sort of instrument with a focused, but relatively dull, point. A very good tool would be a PDA stylus.
    4. Fold the washcloth to make sure you don't accidentally puncture it and scratch the screen.
    5. Apply pressure through the folded washcloth with the instrument to exactly where the stuck pixel is. Try not to put pressure anywhere else, as this may make more stuck pixels.
    6. While applying pressure, turn on your computer and screen.
    Remove pressure and the stuck pixel should be gone. This works as the liquid in the liquid crystal has not spread into each little pixel. This liquid is used with the backlight on your monitor, allowing different amounts of light through, which creates the different colors.

Hope that helps!

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Stuck then, it's green, but I'm still returning it. Especially after the BS they put me through this morning. They're not getting my money after that bullshit they pulled lol.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Haha yeah i would try and return it first for sure. But, if for any reason you cant get a new one the above things will work on a stuck pixel

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I had a stuck pixel in my new laptop last week and this did the trick

http://www.jscreenfix.com/basic.php

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Kurp View Post
    The online store seems to have a 30 day 'no questions asked' policy on monitors. I'm not sure if that differs from the policy that their normal stores have.
    Ur only SoL if you get a monitor from newegg, its why I recommend not buying it from them.. You need a minimum of 6 dead pixels, and ive heard that they check and will send it back to you if your lieing

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Gonna try to fix the pixel but may just return it anyways even if i have to eat the return fee. not sure if its normal, but it bleeds dark colors. By bleed i mean you can see like a wave flowing down the monitor of black in the background. It's not VERY noticeable, but it is annoying. Would prefer something w/ better quality.

Edit: K its gone, but gonna give it a few hours to see if it comes back again.

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

K dead pixel is gone, still debating on returning or not though based on the "bleeding" or shadowing or w/e u want to call it. Have to decide by tonight too, as newegg's sale ect on the acer monitor i want ends tonight.

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

grr nvm its still here

just return or exchange the damn thing already.

The minimum dead pixel thing is for warrenty work only. You can return/exchange it within the return/exchange policy time limit for any reason or no reason at all. Shit if you want just write "exchange please" on a piece of paper and just don't say anything to them. Trust me it works. I've returned shit before saying absolutely NOTHING to the people at the counter, not even a greeting or goodbye.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag