1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 6 hours, 42 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 17 hours, 17 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 23 hours, 42 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 10 hours, 17 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Square Enix Creates online Currency: "Crysta"

Starting December 14th, SQUARE ENIX MEMBERS will merge with the Square Enix Account system. The move, which also combines logins for some other Japanese-only titles, will finally wrap up Square Enix online services into one neat and tidy area. Also, it will allow them to launch their new online-based currency: Crysta.

http://www.jpbutton.com/wp-content/u.../11/semem2.png

The site originally used "Member Coins," but now Crysta will become the new standard for purchasing things from the Members store, such as Avatar clothing, books, CDs and games. Two things make this especially interesting: First is the fact that you can buy in-game currency in Fantasy Earth Zero, and second is the assurance that Crysta will work for "all services linked to your Square Enix Account."

In Fantasy Earth Zero, there are three types of currency -- two available in game, and one obtained via credit card or WebMoney purchase. By standardizing a web-based currency, it seems simple for Square Enix to bring Crysta over to Final Fantasy XIV and avoid many of the headaches experienced in Final Fanatsy XI, such as billing errors and the resulting bannings. It would be great to see Crysta available in the PSN store, purchasable through PayPal on Square Enix's site, or perhaps even Crysta cards at your local video game emporium. This would be perfect for potential Final Fantasy XIV subscribers who may not have access to their own credit card.

It also opens up the possibility for a lot more control on Square Enix's part. If certain aspects of Final Fantasy XIV were prone to abuse by RMT, they could become available through Crysta, swiftly invalidating the efforts of gil-farmers. However, it's a tricky issue since while some will surely welcome the elimination of RMT players, others will oppose the idea of paying real money for in-game currency or items.

In Japan, WebMoney is easy to get at any convenience store with some cash and one can be up and running their FFXI character in no time. That's why it's easy to envision Crysta cards showing up at the local 7-11 along with the myriad of other electronic currencies available. Sadly, it may be a pipe dream to hope that such convenience will reach foreign shores. Presently, the transfer to Crysta has only been posted on the Japanese SQUARE ENIX MEMBERS site, but here's hoping they are working out a smoother payment system for their loyal fans overseas as well. For a game that aims to simultaneously launch and manage customers in multiple regions of the world, it would certainly benefit both players and Square Enix to have a single, unifying currency.

Thanks to Corinth for the initial writeup at JP Button
    >.>

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Praying, on my knees, that you won't be able to redeem your "Crysta" for in-game items whatsoever.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

This smells like disaster, unless they're planning to use Crysta as a form of payment method for a subscription... like a pre-paid time card. Even then, that kinda doesn't make sense.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

If they make me pay for items in-game, I will NOT play this game, no matter how long I've anticipated it.

Montly fee only or GTFO.

o boy

Disaster incoming.

The thing that worries me is

"If certain aspects of Final Fantasy XIV were prone to abuse by RMT, they could become available through Crysta, swiftly invalidating the efforts of gil-farmers. However, it's a tricky issue, since while some will surely welcome the elimination of RMT players, others will oppose the idea of paying real money for in-game currency or items."

Eliminating items from game and put up for sale for game currency bought with real money..
    so its ok to RMT only if its sold by S.E
    lol

VaguStae

Quote Originally Posted by Talka View Post
    If they make me pay for items in-game, I will NOT play this game, no matter how long I've anticipated it.

Montly fee only or GTFO.
    ^ This.

Neither am I willing to pay for in-game bs on top of a monthly fee.

Canada
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mlle Skjie
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Madoran

Or it could be like DDO where you can buy stuff with real money, but all you can get are items that you could get in game anyway, just easier.

People aren't going to stop buying gil/items. Might as well keep that money going into development of the game.

I May have missed it somewhere but do we even know 100% there will be one (monthly fee). Usually the F2P MMO's (are crap usually) have online currency for in-game items like this.

Foreshadow of FFXIV being F2P anyone?

Edit: i could see this as a way for adding items to "cyrsta list" for items RMT are selling for super high prices.
    but then that makes players get lazy and just buy it instead of working for it

man this is gonna be interesting how this unfolds

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlazed View Post
    I May have missed it somewhere but do we even know 100% there will be one (monthly fee). Usually the F2P MMO's (are crap usually) have online currency for in-game items like this.

Foreshadow of FFXIV being F2P anyone?
    I dont think it would be viable, unless they are targetting korean.

Here are the links that go with the story:

JP Button: http://www.jpbutton.com/?p=3758
    About Square Enix merging MEMBERS account into the SE Account system and converting Coins to Crysta

ZAM: http://ffxiv.zam.com/story.html?story=20705 (quoted in OP)
    More about the creation of Crysta in Japan and possible uses with existing example of Fantasy Earth Zero

Square Enix Account Site: http://www.square-enix.com/jp/members/account/
    Announcement of the change

http://www.jpbutton.com/wp-content/u.../11/semem1.png
    ^ Existing services to be combined

http://www.jpbutton.com/wp-content/u.../11/semem2.png
    ^ Conversion of Member Coins into Crysta for the online store and related services

Keep in mind this has only been announced in Japan so far. Besides being usable for services connected to the Square Enix Account, there is no clear indication what Crysta will be used for specifically in terms of FFXIV, if at all.

Banned.

BG Level

This would only make sense if it's similar to the WoW card things you can buy to pay your monthly fees.

If it's for in-game items, I'm not playing FFXIV.

They're most likely planning to introduce in-game items you have to pay for.

But I think SE won't be stupid enough to put them right from the beginning since that would only scare potential playerbase away... they're probably going to wait a couple of years just like they did with FFXI in order to place players in a tight situation (Mog satchel anyone?).

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

if in-game weapons and armor are bought this way, even just a few available this way, XIV can kiss my ass. I'm not going to be gimp because i didn't shill out 49.95 for a new hauberk to keep myself up to date or some shit.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

It's just hilarious seeing people say "If you can buy ingame items I'm out"..yeah god forbid they do what just about every other MMO in the world does >.>

Honestly this is yet again, "wait and see" and if you can buy in-games with it..guess what? You have the choice to buy them or not. Just like you had the choice to buy the add-ons for FFXI or not if you seen it as them "selling armor" and the security token as an excuse to "buy" an in-game feature..honestly, microtransactions are part of MMO just as much as RMT is, it was amazing that FFXI was one of the only MMOs around that didn't have MTs for as long as it did.

The best part about MT is? Even in the MMOs that utilized it, it was only items to try to get a leg up on people quicker a.k.a you didn't NEED them because you can always get something just as good if not better through game play, MTs usually targeted those who have money to piss away, you know, like those who buy millions upon millions of gil in FFXI to get the same items you can get yourself through farming/crafting/questing?

@Blazed:

It's already been determined FFXIV will have a monthly fee, they just never determined how much, it definitely won't be F2P, that's shooting yourself in the foot basically, hence why just about every F2P or 'private server' MMO tend to suck royally or you get bored after capping everything out in hours.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I'm not looking to play Final Fantasy Maple Story.

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    It's just hilarious seeing people say "If you can buy ingame items I'm out"..yeah god forbid they do what just about every other MMO in the world does >.>

Honestly this is yet again, "wait and see" and if you can buy in-games with it..guess what? You have the choice to buy them or not. Just like you had the choice to buy the add-ons for FFXI or not if you seen it as them "selling armor" and the security token as an excuse to "buy" an in-game feature..honestly, microtransactions are part of MMO just as much as RMT is, it was amazing that FFXI was one of the only MMOs around that didn't have MTs for as long as it did.

The best part about MT is? Even in the MMOs that utilized it, it was only items to try to get a leg up on people quicker a.k.a you didn't NEED them because you can always get something just as good if not better through game play, MTs usually targeted those who have money to piss away, you know, like those who buy millions upon millions of gil in FFXI to get the same items you can get yourself through farming/crafting/questing?
    SE could literally require you to administer fellatio to Sage Sundi while having their logo tattood on your neck (yeah, it'd be crooked from all the head bobbing) as a monthly fee, and someone would still defend them.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    I'm not looking to play Final Fantasy Maple Story.
    god I died a little at the thought of this..

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I'd be disappointed if SE did include much straight-purchasable gear in FFXIV that was superior to standard. At least the mini-expansions required you to play the game to get a reward, I guess.

All speculation, of course, just fun to complain/discuss.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Gorgonnash

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post

@Blazed:

It's already been determined FFXIV will have a monthly fee, they just never determined how much, it definitely won't be F2P, that's shooting yourself in the foot basically, hence why just about every F2P or 'private server' MMO tend to suck royally or you get bored after capping everything out in hours.
    Of like 1007 posts of you 1000 are stupid bs complaining about what others think or defending SE for everything, do everyone a favor and kill yourself.

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by aapr25179 View Post
    Of like 1007 posts of you 1000 are stupid bs complaining about what others think or defending SE for everything, do everyone a favor and kill yourself.
    But but but... every problem of FFXI was really because of the evil, bad community!!! SE is perfect and you all just suck for not being perfect too!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast