+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: ffxi     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

ffxi

I scratch my head and wonder if people from 04 etc still play? Is the atmosphere still the same as it was before I stopped playing or has it changed? While I miss the good old days, I get all these questions like...

What keeps individuals still playing, is there a lot more content than there was back then? Are people still camping for the same 3 NMs every 21-24 hrs? Has the ridill been replaced with a better weapon? Do linkshells still....bot? How is RMT now? are things less expensive now or more. What can I do with 500mil gil that I have not touched in over 2 and a half years? I am not taking shots at the game, but I am curious to know how it has turned out.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Not much has changed there's still a ffxi section on the forums. >_>

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Hello, www.rmt link.com provide professional ffxi gil service! 100% safe try it!

Is what I believe what it is like now.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno View Post
    Not much has changed there's still a ffxi section on the forums. >_>
    Well, you are right, however, the audience in that topic is different than the one I am trying to reach, but then again, some of those questions can only be answers by current players... catch 22.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Hi Pigma, missing Judah?

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by wop View Post
    Hi Pigma, missing Judah?
    I do How has he been?

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'll bite.

Quote Originally Posted by Zigma View Post
    What keeps individuals still playing,
    Dunno, probably the whole social life within FFXI, combiend with OMGZGEAR.

is there a lot more content than there was back then?
    Nope. WoTG's content progression has been laughably non-existent for the last 2 years. If you want more than a couple quests per nation every 4 months, you had to pony up an extra $10 for an add-on pack that follows a typical quest-tree progression, except you're paying for it.

Are people still camping for the same 3 NMs every 21-24 hrs?
    Yep.

Has the ridill been replaced with a better weapon?
    As far as I'm aware (don't quote me on this), ever since the 2h adjustment was finalized (after the mess which was the 1dex->1acc buff), ridill hasn't played as large a role in terms of straight-up DD. It's still widely wanted, just its importance in use (faster TP gain) has lowered over the time.

Do linkshells still....bot?
    Do I need to answer that?

How is RMT now?
    They went from hogging your NMs and cockblocking sky to annoying you with roughly one tell per hour you're logged in, and they're still finding ways to manipulate the economy as usual, although via trial accounts these days.

are things less expensive now or more. What can I do with 500mil gil that I have not touched in over 2 and a half years? I am not taking shots at the game, but I am curious to know how it has turned out.
    On my server before I left (Asura) things were low compared to the days of RMT's cockblocking sky, although highly desired shit like Imp. Ingots for Salvage bodies are still through the roof in price. Your 500 mill would go a fair bit, particularly if you wanted a couple relics.

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

^ only reason anyone is still playing XI.

What can I do with 500mil gil that I have not touched in over 2 and a half years?
    Holy shit, sell it and buy yourself something nice. Seriously.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vigilia Dulaurier
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Zigma View Post
    I scratch my head and wonder if people from 04 etc still play? Is the atmosphere still the same as it was before I stopped playing or has it changed? While I miss the good old days, I get all these questions like...

What keeps individuals still playing, is there a lot more content than there was back then? Are people still camping for the same 3 NMs every 21-24 hrs? Has the ridill been replaced with a better weapon? Do linkshells still....bot? How is RMT now? are things less expensive now or more. What can I do with 500mil gil that I have not touched in over 2 and a half years? I am not taking shots at the game, but I am curious to know how it has turned out.
    What keeps me playing is mostly the social aspect and that an mmorpg is as good a hobby as any when you have a small baby that greatly limits the number of hours per week you can get out of the house. I prefer playing games to watching TV anyway, not quite so mind-dumbing. I don't play half as much as I used to up to six months ago though, just leveling jobs, quests/missions and Dynamis twice a week. Content-wise uh... you say you haven't touched FFXI in 2.5 years so you left just before WotG? End-game content has changed a little but the process of leveling jobs and things you can do when you only have little time has changed a lot. Let us say had my life changed drastically 4 years ago I would had probably quit FFXI then because there was bugger all to do if you didn't have 4-6hr time stints to throw into it to get a party, go to XP location and actually accomplish something. Now, I can log on for an hour here or an hour there and do a bit of campaign or FoVs (Fields of Valor, little mini objectives that earn you XP- in layman's terms: kill 5-10 EP mobs and get 1k XP/gil). End-game wise things have been simplified a little thanks to introduction of Einherjar. While lot of people still camp ground kings there is not that kind of forced need to do it anymore and people can opt to join Einherjar LSs and still have a shot at the same king abjurations. Level sync has been a blessing for leveling jobs but can also get a tad boring with the amount of skilling up required and how much time you can now spend killing colibris.

Ridill's not been replaced per se but post-2h update no WAR worth their salt uses it anymore except for shits and giggles. Great Axe or ->. DRKs have a use for ridill as a semi-decent zerg weapon if you can't afford a KC/Merc. Kris. Pretty much every server has a LS that more or less openly bots and they blame every other LS around them for botting so even LSes where bots are not used end up being called botters. You learn to ignore that crap pretty fast though because if you let it get to you there's no end to the insults. My last HNM LS was anti-bots and even ApRadar was forbidden but we still got shit talked every time we managed to claim anything. Bots aren't what they used to be though, since SE implemented the claim delay system to HNMs there has always been an element of luck to it and bot characters aren't always close enough to claim. So even an honest hard-working LS gets their reasonable share- of both claims and "j00 bot!" crap.

RMT don't screw with the game directly as much as they used to, gone are the days of monopolising sky or certain HNMs. In fact, I don't remember the last time I would had seen lvl 75 RMT toon armies anymore, they get nipped in the bud these days. RMT did a lot of gardening until SE changed the system so only characters 90 days old could garden properly. All the RMT you see nowadays (if you don't have ChatMon) are the /tells offering to sell you gil or buy your gil. And occasionally they still try to pricefix things on AH but thankfully people are generally too smart for that now. Prices have been pretty stable over the last two years, you can always check ffxiah.com you know. 500mil would indeed get you a couple of relics or damn near anything you wanted.

Nikkei's Hoe
    Worse than her at uno

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eanae Hikari
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

500m is approximately $11,000 usd. Shopping spree time?

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

So from my understanding,

FFXI is still a bit more of a social thing than anything, nothing has changed, and I am sitting on a small fortune. I don't think I will sell it however but a nice 11k would be a nice night out.

There have been a few gameplay adjustments but not all of them have been good. PLD and SAM are ridicolously overpowered, BLM has fallen to near-disuse except for specific events, hybrid jobs are almost never used in serious endgame content.

On the other hand jobs like THF, BRD and RDM are more or less still the same.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kerberoz View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

^ only reason anyone is still playing XI.

Holy shit, sell it and buy yourself something nice. Seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerberoz
    yes, we get it, ff sucks, wow is cumtacular, etc etc etc. we should all quit and play wow but still troll ffxi drama and make condescending posts! how dare anyone have differing personal preferences, those wankers!
    Quoting your own post on Daamians LJ from 2 years ago - replace wow with aion etc. ;p

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

Wow, dude, stalk much? That shit's borderline scary. Have it bookmarked because I said "cum", bro?

You're really, really pushing your luck. It's not too late for that nice quiet exit to turn into a shitstorm.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Been playing since 02, and I still play cuse there hasnt been a good MMO out since. Wow and Aion were a joke, but within the next year theres going to be like 4 good MMOs.

It'll definitely seem like there's been more changes, simply because most oldtimers don't notice the little ones have added up.

Deflation hit fairly effectively once the RMT got stepped on. Sure, they'll annoy with tells, and they can manipulate prices to an extent- but the huge piles of Gil they had to work with don't exist anymore. ffxiah.com will show you the current prices on stuff for your server.

Leveling is easier now- you can "delevel" to match a party and build up exp that way for a job, and they've added some decent solo options between Campaign/Fields of Valor.

There are some people who have no real life and camp Faf/Nid till hell freezes over. If you're not anal-retentive, there's enough stuff to do and enough options to be solidly equipped without staring at loldarters till the crack of doom. Sky/Kings gear is no longer the be-all-end-all, though some of it is still good stuff.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilia View Post
    Ridill's not been replaced per se but post-2h update no WAR worth their salt uses it anymore except for shits and giggles. Great Axe or ->. DRKs have a use for ridill as a semi-decent zerg weapon if you can't afford a KC/Merc. Kris.

You are an idiot.

I have two reasons for saying this.

One, Ridill is still, in most situations, the best weapon for WAR.

Two, Ridill is, in most situations, the last choice for DRK zerg.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Gurubashi

Quote Originally Posted by SephYuyX View Post
    Been playing since 02, and I still play cuse there hasnt been a good MMO out since. Wow and Aion were a joke, but within the next year theres going to be like 4 good MMOs.
    Quoting this for emphasis.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SephYuyX View Post
    Been playing since 02, and I still play cuse there hasnt been a good MMO out since. all MMOS are a joke, but within the next year theres going to be like 4 other MMOs.
    Quoting for context neutrality. There are reasons to keep playing FFXI beyond doing years old content like kings/sky/dynamis, but really it's the same 'outclaim ten other shells/pray for the drop, then go merit' endgame from the beginning of time. Anybody who quits an MMO will quickly remember why they left in the first place, though.

Miss you Zig

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast