+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Banned.

BG Level

Dogs are a huge problem in non-pet friendly apartments. If you're apartment is carpeted forget about it, there's little to no chances of you being allowed to get a dog. You're also going to have to demonstrate that the pet is trained and you'd have someone available to take him out during the workday.

You can grease the super's palm but if the dog barks and a neighbor complains to the management company they'll come up with creative reasons to take the security deposit, illegal dogs =\= normal wear and tear

Quite often over here they put no pets clauses in as standard purely so they're there to negotiate OUT - if they think you're trustworthy and the animal is trustworthy (I'm lucky in that an elderly three-legged cat is never going to be a real weapon of furry destruction - in fact when I approached the letting agent about her the comment from around the office was just "awwwwwwwwwwww") they'll let you have one - but initially pretty much everything says no pets.

Personally I'd be thinking twice about getting a dog in an apartment complex - they're not the most canine friendly of places.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by aalryn View Post
    I would report that bitch immediately.
    icwutudidthar

Don't get a dog while living in an apartment, it's unfair to the dog.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Kargath

My apt has a no pet clause in it now, but not when I moved in and bought a small dog. While its enforced now, they cant exactly force me to sign a new lease. Maybe thats what you saw? I know I'm theres several dogs in my building but most have been around for a long while.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by pohibaba View Post
    This, unless its a toy dog. Which imo is not a real dog anyways.

Shadow of the House of Weave
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by pohibaba View Post
    It kinda depends on the apartment. I've seen houses with 2-3 dogs that were way smaller than a larger sized apartment.

Formerly Raitoken
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Stumblingdrunk View Post
    getting a dog is selfish, and a dick move. Don't do it. Buy her a cat, they are superior.
    I concur.

YOU ARE SEARED
    Dungeon Master of the House of Weave

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Overburn View Post
    It kinda depends on the apartment. I've seen houses with 2-3 dogs that were way smaller than a larger sized apartment.
    And this proves the exception how? Dogs are not by nature indoor, non-active creatures. And that's pretty much what they get conditioned into living in apartments, unless you plan on being outside with them a TON. I've seen the difference between a dog that gets to play outside a lot and one who just hangs around the house and it's really disheartening to see how very unspirited the indoor dog is. Not necessarily cranky or unfriendly, but he's just not as alive.

Asking the property owner is the right thing to do. You don't have to make it a "I noticed neighbors XYZ have pets, does that mean pets are cool here?", just ask "I want to get a pet, what's the deal on that?"

If a landlord doesn't necessarily like a given tenant he'll find any reason to consider the lease invalid. It's just not worth the risk.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Pikarya View Post
    This, unless its a toy dog. Which imo is not a real dog anyways.
    This is such a MASSIVE misconception that people have. They think that there is a direct relationship between the size of the dog and how much energy/exercise it needs. The reality is that some of the smallest dog breeds are the most hyper and need to be walked the most often and some of the largest dog breeds are the most mellow and need the least amount of exercise and time outside. A lot of big dog breeds simply sleep most of the day.

There are exceptions and it is fairly random. The moral of the story is do NOT judge how much exercise a dog needs by its size judge it individually by the breed.

Just as an example, a Burmese Mountain dog needs very little exercise and sleeps most of the time and makes a great apartment dog, and a Jack Russel Terrier is an extremely hyper dog that needs lots of exercise and makes a horrible apartment dog.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

As a property owner if someone tried to sneak a pet in without asking first they are gone. It's not cool to try and sneak one in and play dumb. Ignorance is not a legal defense. That being said, If they asked and said what kind of dog, I'd be willing to let them have one as long as I approved of the breed.

Septislut Sexy Brigade
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I work for animal control and unfortunately I see the end result for these poor animals all the time. Do the dog a favor and get permission first before you just bring one home. Citizens bring in dogs and cats all day at my facility because they never got the O.K. from the landlord and now they have to dump the poor pet off. Its a miserable life for the animal. It will sit in a cage for 5 days, not get adopted, and then I have to euthanize it. I put down dogs and cats from these situations every single day. Unfortuately shelters do not have infinite space to house these animals, we have to make room for all the other animals that have yet to be dumped off on us.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

If it doesn't specify in the lease, then it's all good. Keep in mind, some managers will be dicks and try to end the lease, which is illegal.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by vagus View Post
    If it doesn't specify in the lease, then it's all good. Keep in mind, some managers will be dicks and try to end the lease, which is illegal.
    Did you even finish reading the title?