BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Getting a dog when there is a no dogs clause in lease

My gf and I moved into our apartment about 2 months ago. The terms of our lease clearly states that dogs aren't allowed. Within the past 2 weeks, though, I've been on the elevator when two separate people have gotten on the elevator with a dog on two different occasions.

The first time I thought that maybe it was just a fluke thing, but the second time made me think that maybe that part of the lease isn't strictly enforced.

I'm looking to get a puppy for my gf for Christmas, but I don't want to fuck myself over by getting this dog. I was wondering if anyone had any similar experience to this. I thought about talking to either the super or the property manager, but I'm afraid of possibly ratting people out. Thanks.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

The lease for my apartment community said no pets. When I talked to the landlord previously he specifically told me my girlfriends 2 cats were fine. I pointed this out to him when I was signing the lease, and he just crossed it out.

a lot of times with rental agreements the no pets thing isnt enforced-- for cats. I don't know of many apartment buildings that will kick you out for having a cat, usually because they never find out about it, but dogs really do vary from place to place.

You should ask the people you see in the elevator about their experience with it, as any advice you'd get on here will be anecdotal at best.

netz

Just ask your property owner. The other people have no respect for the owner's wishes if they went ahead without asking, so no sympathy from me if it bites them in the ass, but there's a chance that it's actually cool.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

getting a dog is selfish, and a dick move. Don't do it. Buy her a cat, they are superior.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Clearly you should throw caution to the wind and get her a Great Dane. The puppies are about as big as an adult Lab. Your landlord will never know.

blev

the issue with the "no dogs" clause is more likely to prevent dogs from pissing or shitting all over the apartment. soooo a puppy probably isn't the best idea if it isn't already potty trained. wouldn't hurt to just ask your landlord if it's ok anyways. choose your wording wisely if you don't care to rat out any of your neighbors.

Science Fiction Super Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

something something no pets clause is actually illegal and has no bearing on insurance which is the reason smoking is allowed to be policed

bring the dog and the worst he can do is not honor a renewal on your lease

cheers

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Takedown3 View Post
    something something no pets clause is actually illegal and has no bearing on insurance which is the reason smoking is allowed to be policed

bring the dog and the worst he can do is not honor a renewal on your lease

cheers
    o rly?

- NEW YORK CITY CIVIL COURT, QUEENS COUNTY15

As all pet-owning tenants know, most standard leases and rental agreements contain no pets clauses. Such provisions are legal everywhere, and courts generally allow a landlord to evict a tenant who acquires a pet in violation of a lease clause and refuses to give it up.

In certain situations, however, a landlord may not be able to enforce a no pets clause if a tenant and dog are already living in a rental unit and:

* The landlord tries to add a no pets clause to a rental agreement; or
    * The landlords tries to enforce an existing no pets clause, after knowing about but not objecting to a tenant's dog for a significant period; or
    * The landlord agreed, no matter what the lease says, that the tenant could have a dog; or
    * The tenant can prove that keeping a dog is necessary for security or health reasons.

We discuss each of these situations below. But first, a commonsense note: You don't want to go to court to argue about any of these theories if you can possibly avoid it. So if a landlord tries to get rid of you or your pet, sit down together and try to work things out. You may end up paying a little more rent or putting down a bigger security deposit, but it will be cheaper than court.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Stumblingdrunk View Post
    Buy her a cat, they are superior.
    I hope this is a woosh...

But yea I agree with everyone else in asking first

aduidarnenye

It's possible the dogs were grandfathered in from a previous landlord. You could always just ask if you could get a dog and play dumb when they remind you about the lease. That way you won't rat out your neighbours.

just pretend that the dog is your girlfriend and then when he yells at you for owning a dog you can act like you're really offended at his insensitivity

Banned.

BG Level

tell him its your seeing eye dog

Just ask! I've lived in rented places for years and most have had no pets clauses in contracts - but when I've asked if I can have a cat - it's been no problem, occasionally an increased deposit's been needed or the clause that I need to put right any cat related damage has been added into the contract (chance of her damaging anything would be fine - it would interrupt her sleeping and staring out of the window schedule).

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Trollbane

Quote Originally Posted by Stumblingdrunk View Post
    getting a dog is selfish, and a dick move. Don't do it. Buy her a cat, they are superior.
    Do this, nobody will know you have a cat.

No Pants, No Problem
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

The building I live in has a No Pet Clause but they only enforce it on people who they don't think will keep the animal under control. It is a lot harder to get a dog in our building than a cat though because of potty training and the whole going outside thing.

Like most have said, best to ask and see their take on the situation. If he says no then rat out the other ppl with dogs. If you can't have it, nobody can.

I have no idea tbh
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Do your neighbors like you? They will hear a puppy crying at night for a while so if you're gonna do this covertly you may be the one getting ratted out.

If I'm in a no-pets apartment, and woken up by your new dog every night for a week, how much do I like you?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Thanks for the advice, all. I'll talk to the property manager on Monday.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Xerlic View Post
    Thanks for the advice, all. I'll talk to the property manager on Monday.
    I think that is the best choice.

Look. Rational grown adults don't sneak around and hide their intentions with artifice. They present themselves honestly and hope that others are as understanding as they are. Not only that but they will probably respect you more for being good enough to ask, rather than doing whatever you feel like. You shouldn't worry about "ratting people out", if they're doing something uncouth that's their problem.

Just ask them about it. It is their property after all. At my old place they would only allow dogs if they were able to see the dog beforehand and gauge whether or not it was well behaved. So who knows, they might be flexible. That's much better than the alternative which would be sneaking around behind their backs and then neurotically freaking out trying to hide it like in some crappy sitcom.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
    Do your neighbors like you? They will hear a puppy crying at night for a while so if you're gonna do this covertly you may be the one getting ratted out.

If I'm in a no-pets apartment, and woken up by your new dog every night for a week, how much do I like you?
    God if I was in a no pets apartment and was woken up by a dog barking I would report that bitch immediately.

Hell even if pets were allowed I'd report it for noise violations. I fucking hate pets.