Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Seagull/Heron Rings     submit to reddit submit to twitter

New Seagull/Heron Rings

Has anyone tested these out? Wondering how good they are and if they can be used at all for replacements for a penguin ring (since they're such a bitch to get) for Lik or Gugru...or are they really only nice to haves to make general fishing easier? I'm sure SE wouldn't be so nice to us to give us uncharged rings that can replace the other 2, but i'm curious if anyone knows the extend of their effects.

I got a Seagull ring today, but haven't done anything with it yet.

New Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by mysticnugget View Post
    Has anyone tested these out? Wondering how good they are and if they can be used at all for replacements for a penguin ring (since they're such a bitch to get) for Lik or Gugru...or are they really only nice to haves to make general fishing easier? I'm sure SE wouldn't be so nice to us to give us uncharged rings that can replace the other 2, but i'm curious if anyone knows the extend of their effects.

I got a Seagull ring today, but haven't done anything with it yet.
    Check the last few pages of the fishing thread. Someone did test them. I think the basic summary indicated that while one of them (I forget which) could be used as an alternative to Penguin on Liks, wasn't nearly as good, and given they aren't the easiest to obtain either, you might be better off simply continuing to go after the Penguin.

cool thx

I have both rings. I fish Liks.

The Seagull ring is an acceptable replacement for the Penguin ring when it is used with the Albatross. The difference you will see is that the rod will not pause at the sides as much as it does with the Penguin, so you will get a real test of your fishing skill to wear them down. I fail to wear out one or two per session now with the Seagull that I would have been able to with the Penguin, but I get most of them (on my last session I hooked 12 and wore them all down)

So I'm pleased with the Seagull, I don't feel like I'm using up some precious thing when I don't hook a Lik for most of a 20 min period now.

The Heron prevents health regen, which is nice with a fish that you have a lot of time on, but puts up a lot of fight that can lead to regen. It was good on big ferry fish on a brief test.

Myriads

Faster than Walt Flanagan's Dog
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Don't have Seagull yet but I have Heron. It's pretty useless on Gugs and only marginally useful on Lik. I usually fish on either my PS2 or an older PC for the extra lag so stamina recovery isn't a big deal. About all Heron does is make Lik catchable on my "good" PC. Hoping to get Seagull soon, from what I hear it's good for catching both combined with Albatross/Ebisu.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

the albatros/seagul combo make it possible to catch liks (with Lu shang), but i find it extremely hard compared to albatros/penguin, really. this is due to the fish regening way too fast when you hit the wrong direction, compared to penguin. Basically, penguin= a enhanced version of both seagul and heron ring; Heron is useless for lv 100 fishers really, because albatros are so easy to get.

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

All these guys covered it. Mystic, if you have further fishing questions check out the top 10ish threads in this forum and you should find 3 dedicated to fishing. 1 is general fishing talk (100+ pages), 1 to ebisu quest/rod, and 1 to skill guide discussion 1-100. Throw your question in the appropriate topic and it will get answered fairly quickly.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I'll have 50 penguin rings from brigands charts that drop in MMM before that stupid seagull ring drops so I guess it doesn't matter how good it is.....

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Wait, I've never actually tried but doesnt the penguin ring's effect stay after even if you unequip it?

If so, though seagull ring might not be stronger but if your doing at least gugs, and probably lisk too, you should have guild support, so it doesn't hurt to put the seagull on and make your life easier.

Unless it wears if you unequip the ring, in which case f you SE, f you.

Doesn't take it for granite
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It wears when you unequip.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_Wheel22 View Post
    It wears when you unequip.
    Bastards...

*throws his ring into the ocean in disgust*

O_O

*dives overboard*

It wears if you disconnect also. That was a real thrill on the old school Penguin rings that had 2 hour charges.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

How hard are both of these rings to obtain? I know they are from MM, but other than that I know nothing. Are they a low drop? How long would it take to get them from never doing MM before? Thx

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Erdrick View Post
    How hard are both of these rings to obtain? I know they are from MM, but other than that I know nothing. Are they a low drop? How long would it take to get them from never doing MM before? Thx
    I got one on my 3rd MMM, and the other after 50+ MMM. I don't know if "Lost and Found" affects it at all. I can't remember if I had that rune on my 1st ring or not, but I know I had it on my 2nd.

GL, they are pretty cool if you dont have The others for whatever reason.

Faster than Walt Flanagan's Dog
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

These are not too hard to obtain from my experience. Got Heron from a 'challenging' freshwater setup (might, supreme might, motion, lost & found) and got Seagull from a 'gimp' saltwater setup (weakness, peon, stillness, lost & found). Drop rate seems pretty random, I went 1/2 on Heron and about 1/15 on Seagull.

Your Best bet if you don't often do MMM is to check to see if someone made a copy of a fishing maze and just do that until you get the rings. It will probably take a few runs to get used to it so I would suggest starting on an easier freshwater setup if available (salt water can be really hit or miss). As far as Rod/Bait I had Ebisu (though Lu would do fine I'm sure) and used Worm Lure/Sinking Minnow for freshwater and Minnow/Sinking Minnow for salt.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Erdrick View Post
    4 weeks with a static of 4 going everyday, got us all a set of rings.

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

I got heron after duoing for about a week, and got seagull a few days later soloing a blank maze.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Quote Originally Posted by tsaroth816 View Post
    4 weeks with a static of 4 going everyday, got us all a set of rings.
    With what setup? I have a decent map with resonating Motion, resonating Fleetfoot, Might, Trial by Silence, the no JA one, Lost and Found, and Fishing Support.

With variations of that we have seen 2 Heron Rings, and 1 Seagull Ring averaging 2-3 runs per day for weeks. (None on my runs too...) ._.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    With what setup? I have a decent map with resonating Motion, resonating Fleetfoot, Might, Trial by Silence, the no JA one, Lost and Found, and Fishing Support.

With variations of that we have seen 2 Heron Rings, and 1 Seagull Ring averaging 2-3 runs per day for weeks. (None on my runs too...) ._.
    Might, Sup Might, Trial by Silence, Trial by no JA, L&F, Conditioning Contract was the base maze, duped at Duploc for others. (Note: I used M02 because L&F and Conditioning Contract are hard, if not impossible to fit both) L&F went top right, CC went bottom left.

I tried other ones that included Stillness, Fisherman (rune 85), Freshwater(eww), Support (just get guild support before entering) but we all were 100 fishers, so there was no real point to make the maze "easier" after we got the hang of it.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Quote Originally Posted by tsaroth816 View Post
    Might, Sup Might, Trial by Silence, Trial by no JA, L&F, Conditioning Contract was the base maze, duped at Duploc for others. (Note: I used M02 because L&F and Conditioning Contract are hard, if not impossible to fit both) L&F went top right, CC went bottom left.

I tried other ones that included Stillness, Fisherman (rune 85), Freshwater(eww), Support (just get guild support before entering) but we all were 100 fishers, so there was no real point to make the maze "easier" after we got the hang of it.
    Hmmm. I had Conditioning Contract in there for awhile, and it didn't seem to help. Maybe I will put it back in...