+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

Fitness walking is always good to get started if you can't motivate yourself normally (once you are able to adjust to the "healthy lifestyle" you'll stay in shape like...forever). Tennis would be the fastest way to lose weight though if you are in an acceptable shape to play. Also, its fun.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

I took an African Dance class to satisfy both my ethnic studies and Phys Ed requirements for my undergrad.

It was a major workout, and I dominated at it. Teacher would use me and the one other white guy to demonstrate for the class. Some of the girls had -0- rhythm though, shit was painful.

Pretty fun though honestly.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Lordender View Post
    thats a lawsuit ready to happen.
    Not really.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Isn't BMI a kind of shitty way to determine this, anyway? There are a lot of physical fit people with, oh, what's that thing called... muscle... that would have a high BMI. So, people who may muscle train lots would be required to pay for an additional class to work out? Sounds stupid.

Drop the BMI requirement, make everyone take it, done and done...

I'm fat and I approve.

And yeah it fucking disgusts me when I see fat asses eat whatever they want (as Archie mentioned). As a student, you have little to no choices towards what classes you "need" to take as with any general education, and this is no exception.

If it's going to be determined by BMI that's kind of lame though. I eat healthy and jog a mile + calisthenics every day and I'm fucking obese. For some people it's just genetics and such, so logged gym time is probably best (as the article mentioned).

Quote Originally Posted by Syntex View Post
    Its a good idea but making only certain students do it and not everyone is just wrong.

Replace Obesity with Smoking, Drugs, Alcohol, Sky Diving.

If fat people need a class so does all the above mentioned people because we must determine how you live your life.

Give me an education and gtfo.
    So, your argument is that they shouldn't be helping anyone simply because they can't help everyone? That's pretty fucking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Tulun View Post
    Isn't BMI a kind of shitty way to determine this, anyway? There are a lot of physical fit people with, oh, what's that thing called... muscle... that would have a high BMI. So, people who may muscle train lots would be required to pay for an additional class to work out? Sounds stupid.

And yes, BMI is a pretty stupid way of determining this, but I assume that they simply don't have the resources to check every person's body fat % and this is simply an easier way of deciding who needs to take the class.

Read the article.

Tekki's Bitch
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by pohibaba View Post
    And yes, BMI is a pretty stupid way of determining this, but I assume that they simply don't have the resources to check every person's body fat % and this is simply an easier way of deciding who needs to take the class.

Because BMI is not a perfect measure of obesity, students also have their waist circumference measured, he said. There are some people who have a high BMI because of their muscle mass, but are not actually obese, and the waist measurement is meant to weed out those people.

Did you guys even read the OP's post?

aduidarnenye

I think it's a pretty stupid requirement to graduate college. BMI, even with a waist measurement, is still a stupid way to judge the healthiness of people. I've known women with massive chests and bottoms but with a tiny waist.

This is similar to forcing high school students to volunteer to graduate high school. That's not volunteering, it's voluntolding and doesn't evoke any kind of community spirit at all, just bitterness at being forced to work without pay.

They want people to be healthy then they should have a real class in high school teaching proper eating habits and other real living situations. When I moved out of my parent's house I had no idea how to get utilities in my apartment. Teach high school students things they'll actually need to live without mommy and daddy.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

Also they're not just making fat people take it. It's required for everyone but the thin people get to "test" out of it. Like the smart people get to test out of Algebra and stuff.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I feel kind of lucky at my school because the gym offers so many different programs. Hell, this last semester I took a Kendo class after my regular school day and it was amazing.

However I know that the school will be forced to drop this program (Personally I think its a good program). On top of that, just because they are offering fitness classes doesn't necessarily help the students lose the weight.

My school puts a surcharge on the fast food chains that are on campus and uses those proceeds to help fund the healthier options. In first year it was a dramatic shift because for Lunch I would usually want a slice of Pizza and it really started to sting my wallet around January (Its like $5 a slice). However when January rolled around I decided to start trying to save money and started going for the fruit bowls, salads and sandwiches. Now I cannot go a day without a Fruit bowl, and getting a full Lunch for 75 cents (I usually grab an OJ for $1 on top of that) it really goes a long way.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

more places should do that... smart idea. let the fatties fund the healthy people.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by aduidarnenye View Post
    I think it's a pretty stupid requirement to graduate college. BMI, even with a waist measurement, is still a stupid way to judge the healthiness of people. I've known women with massive chests and bottoms but with a tiny waist.

This is similar to forcing high school students to volunteer to graduate high school. That's not volunteering, it's voluntolding and doesn't evoke any kind of community spirit at all, just bitterness at being forced to work without pay.

They want people to be healthy then they should have a real class in high school teaching proper eating habits and other real living situations. When I moved out of my parent's house I had no idea how to get utilities in my apartment. Teach high school students things they'll actually need to live without mommy and daddy.
    Yeah because High School and College work exactly the same way amirite?

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

To have a BMI of 30+ as a beefy muscular dude, you'd have to be pretty damn huge. A friend of mine is 5'10 185 and can bench 305 - he'd have to put another 25 pounds of muscle on to hit a BMI of 30+, and that would be pretty insane.

Although I suppose there's a bunch of 6'2, 235 linebackers in the NFL.

aduidarnenye

Quote Originally Posted by Hirokei Kiaza View Post
    Yeah because High School and College work exactly the same way amirite?
    No, that's why I used the word "similar" instead of "exactly the same as".

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Belkin View Post
    Why wouldn't you want to get in shape FOR COLLEGE CREDITS? It hurts my head that people actually complain about this...
    There's a difference between getting college credit for a course, and bring told that you are fat you don't meet the accredited standards for receiving a Bachelor's degree. This policy is discrimination, pure and simple. They can require the course all they want, as long as it's a blanket requirement for ALL students. Otherwise it must be an elective.

Also, students who are overweight are more likely to have come from a background where they received poor nutritional upbringing. In most cases that means a family who can't afford anything but unprocessed foods, which are less nutritious. In that way this might even be considered discrimination based on income.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post
    Drop pounds, not classes
    Stuff minds, not asses.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

If only schools would do this at earlier levels such as grade school. Obesity is a major problem that costs a ton of money later on and health problems. Frankly, that are too many obese people and this only helps them. It's just contradictory when PE and recess are cut from grade school and such. Just a fucking shame.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Olo401 View Post
    There's a difference between getting college credit for a course, and bring told that you are fat you don't meet the accredited standards for receiving a Bachelor's degree. This policy is discrimination, pure and simple. They can require the course all they want, as long as it's a blanket requirement for ALL students. Otherwise it must be an elective.

Also, students who are overweight are more likely to have come from a background where they received poor nutritional upbringing. In most cases that means a family who can't afford anything but unprocessed foods, which are less nutritious. In that way this might even be considered discrimination based on income.
    Um... people are allowed to discriminate...

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Should be required everywhere, this rule is A+.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast