+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Administration to double troop numbers for Vietman- I mean Afghanistan

Well at least they're trying:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...011203492.html

President-elect Barack Obama intends to sign off on Pentagon plans to send up to 30,000 more U.S. troops to Afghanistan, but the incoming administration does not anticipate that the Iraq-like "surge" of forces will significantly change the direction of a conflict that has steadily deteriorated over the past seven years.
    Instead, Obama's national security team expects that the new deployments, which will nearly double the current U.S. force of 32,000 (alongside an equal number of non-U.S. NATO troops), will help buy enough time for the new administration to reappraise the entire Afghanistan war effort and develop a comprehensive new strategy for what Obama has called the "central front on terror."
    Meanwhile, some legislators propose that Americans get more involved in the war effort:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1109/29851.html

Call it “pay as you fight.”

After months of listening to conservatives caterwaul over deficits and health care, senior House Democrats want a graduated surtax on individuals and corporations to pay for another big drain on the treasury: the Afghanistan war.

Three full committee chairmen — including the House’s top tax writer, Ways and Means Committee Chairman Charles Rangel (D-N.Y.) — are backing the initiative together with the chair of the party caucus, Rep. John Larson (D-Conn.), and close allies of Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

The speaker has been silent thus far, and many dismiss the idea as more rhetoric than real legislation. But with President Barack Obama due to make a final decision soon on adding more U.S. troops, the initiative testifies to the growing restlessness among Democrats over the costs of the American commitment in Afghanistan.
    Maybe calling it Vietnam #2 is a bit premature?

edit: whoops, title

edit2: first source is months old

by vietman do you mean vietnam?

Demosthenes11

ill go ahead and wait for someone to say this isn't obama being a huge tool and hypocrite

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Last I checked Afghanistan wasn't home wonder what happened to that exit strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Atreides View Post
    by vietman do you mean vietnam?
    Mmm, the Vietmenz.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

I just noticed that the first source is from January from this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliseos View Post
    Mmm, the Vietmenz.
    no asians no fatties

Demosthenes11

i'll go ahead and put money down that none of the big democrats on this board will reply in this topic more than once and this thread will be lost to second page in a day

Black Belt
    BG Level

wow Demo you're soooooooooooooooooooooooooo independent.

Afghanistan needs to end. On that note, so does Iraq.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

How did we turn Russia's Vietnam into our Vietnam #2?

I mean, if this isn't proof-positive of the adage "if you fail to learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it" I don't know -what- is.

Hmm.

No wonder my brother-in-law and friend's husband are there now.

Demosthenes11

Quote Originally Posted by Beckwin View Post
    wow Demo you're soooooooooooooooooooooooooo independent.

Afghanistan needs to end. On that note, so does Iraq.
    obviously hating a president for going back on promises makes me a republican

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Didnt Obama say during his campaign, that he was going to redirect troops from Iraq to Afghanistan?

BG Level

They kept calling Afghanistan "Obama's War" - I guess he's taking that seriously.

However...I don't really remember what Obama "promised" about Afghanistan. Anyone got some quotes?

I don't have a problem with this as long as the objective is clear and rigid: remove the terrorist elements from the region, find and capture the people who were responsible for terrorist acts against America, and remove the infrastructure for them to get back to work as soon as we leave.

I will not support any further attempt to "nation build" there and I would hope that President Obama has learned from our history of attempting to do that that it does not ever succeed. This should be something that should have already been taken care of and is something that President Obama could achieve with the time he has left in office, but I am nearly positive that this will simply become another quagmire that will drain this country of trillions of more dollars that we desperately need for other things.

aduidarnenye

If America and allies leave Iraq and Afghanistan right now that area will become even ore of a hell on earth for the people who live there. I'm not a supporter of war and violence, but surely there is something western nations can do about the horrors of those two countries. Is the focus there too much on oil production, the war on drugs, and the war on terrorism that we're unable to actually help the people through education and financial support? Is it possible to do something about them without increasing the troops? Will America back out of the two countries the moment Osama Bin Laden is caught? It's all so depressing.

I have an aunt in Afghanistan right now and her husband just returned a few months ago.

Demosthenes11

what the hell else do we have to do in afghanistan? we went there, plowed the country, set up a new government (which is corrupt as shit and has failed), and failed in finding bin laden. We are never going to weed out every terrorist there, and we sure as hell have spent enough money and blood over the last decade. Leaving now or leaving in 10 years makes no difference - the country is going to suck when we leave it no matter what and we need to accept that fact

BG Level

Too bad half the "evildoers" are hopscotching across to Pakistan all the time, and Pakistan doesn't give a fuck because any money we give them to "combat Al-Queda" is instead funneled into their military for their imaginary future war with India.

aduidarnenye

To Godwin the thread: How long did the Allies stay in Germany and Japan after WW2 in terms of "country building" and all that jazz?

Why does Afghanistan suck so much? The country has never been held by anyone other than violent warlords. It's never been successfully held by a cohesive power and governed well since, well, I think the Persian Empire.

aduidarnenye

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Too bad half the "evildoers" are hopscotching across to Pakistan all the time, and Pakistan doesn't give a fuck because any money we give them to "combat Al-Queda" is instead funneled into their military for their imaginary future war with India.
    Ohmigod, Ender's Shadow series!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast