BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    I've noticed the German translations for a lot of the auto-translate words/phrases are really off compared to the other languages. Wiki has a whole list of the auto-translates and what they say in FR GR and JP and pretty much every language coincides well except some of the german phrases which just make me scratch my head...

Ex: Standing by. = 'At attention/ready' for other languages, but 'bitte warten' for german, which means 'please wait' with a connotation of unreadiness ... erm... makes sense dudes.
    We've worked on German machine translations. There are two problems: one is that German generates synonyms like a pinwheel throws sparks, and compound words (Schlangenworte) that are highly context-dependent. Some howlers included translating "nichstaubende" (non-dusting) as "not deaf end," lichtemitteriende (light-emitting) as "light with animal end," and "wirtstamm" (host strain) as "landlord trunks."

Context-dependent dictionary building is very important and it can be a lot of work for a relatively small gain in accuracy.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I shat out a big novel for them. Maybe someone will even read it at some point.