+ Reply to Thread

Thread: E-Cigarette issue...     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

E-Cigarette issue...

So I ordered an E-Cigarette to get around the smoking ban in my state. It's a pretty good alternative to having to stand out in the cold but I've had one minor problem: It keeps turning on randomly whether it's in my pocket, on a table, or when I'm holding it. I checked the manual, and supposedly this is normal as it's supposed to be in a self cleaning mode. Only problem with that is, while it's "self cleaning," my cartridges seem to burn out much faster than they're supposed to.
    Each cartridge is meant to count for 20 normal cigarettes, but I've gone through 3 within the past 2 days and I barely smoked that much when I was smoking regular cigarettes. Anyone else have this problem? (if anyone else uses e-cigs)

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Have you contacted the manufacturer to see if its a possible defect?

I've been smoking Ecigs since July, and the very first thing i can tell you is the cartridge "estimates" are complete bullshit lol. They severely over estimate how much they vapor the carts are capable of. My advice to you would to get bottled liquid and either fill your carts yourself or drop liquid directly onto the atomizer (what i do). It's a little awkward when your out to break out a bottle and start dripping since it makes you feel like some kinda weird drug addict, but you can always just have empty carts that you fill when you leave. When you have used them a few times pull the poly-fill out and wash+dry it, and repeat as needed. Also, you can buy i think its called Fluval or something at places like Wal-mart to use as cart filler if you dont want to be washing filler over and over.

For the battery turning on in your pocket this is a problem with how "Automatic" e-cigs work. They sense either airflow/vibration on the inhale to turn the battery on, but this has the side effect of a strong vibration or loud noise causing the battery to kick on as well. So whats actually happening is its being vibrated around in your pocket and kicking on because it thinks you are trying to drag on it. My advice in this area is to get a "Manual" class of battery. It has a little button on the top you push in which turns the atomizer on. You simply hit it > drag > let off the button. I switched from the Blucig auto battery to a Yeti 510 Manual in August and never looked back. A nice side effect of a manual battery is longer battery life, stronger hits (you can hit the button before you start to drag so that its pre-heated when you draw on it giving you 100% draw from the start), and also makes liquid/carts last longer due to not coming on unless you want it to.

I bought my Yeti from electronicstix (.com), and couldnt be happier. It's also a good bit cheaper then a lot of companies sell inferior ecigs for! For your liquid needs i highly recommend eliquidplanet (.com). It's a bit pricier then some places, but after trying ~6 manufacturers and price ranges I have to say this liquid is simply amazing, and they have any flavor you could want. A 10$ bottle of liquid from there will last me for a good month of moderate vaping. For heavy chain vaping youd probably only get half a month, but that still owns the shit out of smoking price wise. For a good forum to discuss ecigs and get helpful information there is e-cigarette-forum (.com).

Good luck with your E-cig! I've not smoked a cig since the day i started Ecigs, and definately recommend you stick with it. It's quite easy to quit nicotine all together without even trying after you've done the ecig thing for a while. My wife quit a 10+ year smoking habit in a month without any real withdrawls or even actively trying to do so thanks to ecigs. It just kind of happened.

Sorry for long wall of text and poorly formatted at that, but i'm tired! XD

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

This is really working for you guys? I've tried almost everything but prescription medication and these. How much are the cartridges on average... or I should say how much per week do you think you spend on these?

Celeste

Smoking cessation is for quitters.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Day View Post
    This is really working for you guys? I've tried almost everything but prescription medication and these. How much are the cartridges on average... or I should say how much per week do you think you spend on these?
    It works in that it's a fine alternative for nicotine intake, but it's just not quite as satisfying as the real thing. If you can get past that though, the cartridges are cheap as hell, maybe $2 each? Mine last for a good couple days usually if I'm only using the vaporizer, way longer if I have cigarettes on me as well.

If you're not careful and you use the vaporizers like you would a normal cigarette (constantly inhaling for 4-5mins) the cartridges will get depleted pretty quickly. The thing to keep in mind is, with the normal 16mg carts, you only need a couple drags to get what you would out of a normal cigarette. If you're dragging on the thing for a few minutes at a time 10-20 times a day, you'll probably wind up increasing your overall nicotine intake, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Day View Post
    Indeed it has. I probably could have quit already, but unfortunately I just really enjoy the act of smoking, and tend to smoke/vape when i'm bored. I'm at the lowest dose of nicotine now though, and see it as a non-issue pretty much. The wife didn't really care for the "act" of smoking she just was addicted to the chemicals in cigs, and so it was quite easy for her to stop once she got her ecig. Then again one of our friends that bought an Ecig when we did never really used it unless it was to get around not being able to smoke, and doesn't really like it, but I think he just needs a stronger ecig than the Blu which is what we all initially got (hence the recommendation for the 510 for anyone fixing to start up vaping).

To answer the price question... well I bought i think 6 20ml bottles of 8mg (one of the lowest non-nic levels) from a Chinese supplier and paid $50 US for them total. I've maybe used one bottle (doubtful) out of those 6 if you combined the little bit that's missing from all of them where I jump flavors frequently. I've had them since August... so yeah basically spending nothing at this point (~$100 invested and its lasted 3+ months and i still have enough liquid to last about a year). Been running on the same batteries and atomizers since late July as well, but now that I've said that...

Oh, and yeah it's definitely not the same kind of satisfying as taking a nice drag off a death stick, but in the end it's giving up some pleasure in one area to get pleasure in another since you can smoke much more freely, cheaply, and can do so without ruining the things around you (smells/stains) or irritating the people that happen to be nearby. I really tend to not think about "smoking" anymore, and will just reach for a few vapes every hour or so and be back on my way. I frequently go most of the day without thinking about it, and have no negative symptoms like withdrawls.

Edit: Don't buy pre-filled carts. It is a horrible value for what you get in the end. Buy some blank carts for whatever model of ecig you have (the good models like the 510 have empty carts you can buy for cheap), and fill that sucker up yourself with whatever liquid you want (see links above to buy bottles of liquid). Or you can just direct drip which is my preferred method. Tends to "hit" better since its already on the heating element rather than having to drain out of the cartridge.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Wow! lots of information to process, but big thanks to GentaiShinigami. I guess the first step is to take advantage of my 30-Day money back guarantee on this overpriced piece of junk I have now. Already have the 510 starter set ready to be ordered. I'll probably do the direct drip method and see how that goes for a while.
    One last question though: If I'm going to be using this like a regular cig, should I go with a higher or lower dose of liquid? My main thing is I don't normally smoke, but when I'm drinking, I used to go through almost a full pack. Not trying to overdose on nicotine, but I at least want some of that feeling back.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol-Blackguy View Post
    If I'm going to be using this like a regular cig, should I go with a higher or lower dose of liquid? My main thing is I don't normally smoke, but when I'm drinking, I used to go through almost a full pack.
    You are certainly welcome, and glad to be of help. Sorry for wall-o-texting you, but I figured it's important info to send you on the right track from the start so you don't have to figure it out with your wallet!

My recommendation would be to get the 16mg from eliquidplanet(.com) as its high enough to be satisfying (especially when your drinking you'll want that), but weak enough to not be horrible for you. Many vapers will chain vape even 24mg or even higher sometimes(!) so 16mg is really a nice spot to be. If you can find flavors in the VG section i recommend those as PG can be irritating/allergen to some people, and VG also produces more vapor. A good 510 kit from the above site,direct dripping, and some VG and you'll likely have as much vapor as you could ever want lol. They unfortunately only have i think 6 flavors in VG though so if you can't find what you want PG it is. Both are fine but given the choice of identical flavors I would usually take the VG. Also you get a bit more for the price on VG. 15ml for i think $12 vs 10ml for $10.

I would get a nice tobacco flavor (remember, the Marlboro, Camel, etc flavors really are not the same as the real deal, but they are all good, and have very different flavors and characteristics) as well as a menthol (if applicable to you) and one "novelty" flavor for a nice break from the more serious vapes. Also the pre-filled "Marlboro" carts that come with the Yeti 510 from electronicstix(.com) is freaking amazing. Never found a bottled substitute for it sadly, but it is like liquid crack to me, and I could vape it all day. *_*

I'm glad I could help, and if you need to know something feel free to hit me up. Just don't forget to get the manual switch when you get the 510! Take care.

Edit: Don't worry too much about overdosing on nicotine as it's honestly quite hard to do from vaping alone. Start spilling a bunch of juice on your skin or drinking it however, and it's suddenly not so hard to do. Worst case from just vaping too much is you'll start feeling jumpy like you've gotten a lot of caffeine then you know it's time to slow down. Nicotine is supposed to be about as harmful to your body as Caffeine. Also, if you happen upon someone spewing the FDA hype about teh devil ecigs please disregard it. It's simply scare tactics from the FDA/Pharma because Ecigs are utterly destroying the smoking cessation pharmaceutical market atm. If you want to read the real lab findings you may find them at the forum I listed above (e-cigarette-forum(.com)).

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Don't worry about the wall of text, this stuff is extremely helpful. Too bad I didn't post a topic sooner instead of almost wasting $50. If I have anymore questions, I'll pm you, but I'm good for now.

Don't worry about the wall of text, this stuff is extremely helpful. Too bad I didn't post a topic sooner instead of almost wasting $50. If I have anymore questions, I'll pm you, but I'm good for now.
    Awesome, glad I could help you out, and especially before your 30 days were up! Good luck with everything I hope it works out for ya. \^^/

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by GentaiShinigami View Post
    Awesome, glad I could help you out, and especially before your 30 days were up! Good luck with everything I hope it works out for ya. \^^/
    For some reason, I cant send you a PM so I'll post here:

I spent a good 30 minutes with customer service about my 30 day guarantee and got screwed over a bunch of fine print bullshit. Good thing I did my Christmas shopping online because If I see one of those D-bags promoting that garbage in a mall, I'll probably go Tom Cable on him. Well, at least I got a back up in case if my other Cigs die out on me.

So I checked your sites and decided to order the JOYE/Yeti 510 for general use, the Mega 510 Battery for bar/restaurant use, 6 MG Camel Flavor since I'm a notorious chain smoker, and will eventually get the 510/306 PCC when it gets restocked after hearing all the rave reviews about it.

Only question I have left is about the rumored E-Cig ban. They're already banned in Australia (like everything is) and the NJ senate is still waiting to vote. Virginia (Big Tobacco HQ) just got the smoking ban as of December 1st and the state is notoriously conservative with just about anything. What are the chances that this ban will go through?

/em takes a deep breath.

What are the chances that this ban will go through?
    First things first, huge wall-o-text for the sake of giving you the best info I can as I hate getting incomplete/half-assed information myself, and attempt to not do it to others. If it's too much for you the TL;DR is at the bottom, and you can read the mini-novel some other time. ^^;;

It's a very sticky situation for the FDA at the moment. They've been on a mission against ecigs since early this year, but haven't done anything major quite yet. The most they have done is a public smear campaign of misinformation all over the news, and seize shipments coming into the country from China. Technically they can force ecigs to not be sold because they have not undergone FDA approval, but the problem there is that they force every single Ecig user (millions likely) to go right back to normal cigs. Sure the optimal choice would be to go to another NRT (Nicotine Replacement Therapy) device, but honestly if they worked then people wouldn't be using the ecigs. There are many highly respected, and I would think powerful doctors/health professionals currently fighting to help keep ecigs available for those that want/need them because of the benefits it gives to their patients who couldn't/refused to quit traditional cigs prior to ecigs. The best hope is that the FDA allows them to remain being sold in the name of harm reduction as long as the manufacturers enter their products into the FDA approval process immediately. The reason some/most manufacturers have not is because: A) All major manufacturers are Chinese, and probably don't have the money or are having legal issues trying to get their products through FDA approval process (or they may just not give a shit, idk) and B) The few US/EU "modified" Ecigs are made by individuals basically, and they can't afford the millions of dollars (seriously, millions) to go through FDA approval.

The FDA's argument for wanting a ban ecigs is that ecigs contain "carcinogens" (cancer causing compounds) which were found in the FDA's lab study of ecigs. This is true because all nicotine has trace amounts of carcinogens that come from the tobacco it's harvested from. What they didn't tell you was HOW MUCH of said carcinogens was found. I can't remember the exact quotes/numbers but it's thousands of times less than normal cigs, and such an insignificant amount it would have basically zero effect on you. As a matter of fact the same FDA lab found that nicotine patches/lozenges had many times MORE of the same carcinogens in them, and are recommend to you over ecigs by the FDA directly. Thanks to how the laws work they can say "Ecigs cause cancer" because there are carcinogens found without ever having to tell you exactly how much, and how insignificant they are. Another stupid argument was that your smoking anti-freeze (referring to Propylene Glycol - PG) which again is technically a true statement. What they didn't tell you was that it is NON-TOXIC antifreeze lol. PG is used to make non-toxic antifreeze, and is used in probably half the items in your house from your toothpaste to your deodorant to cake mix and so on.

A good thing in favor of ecigs is that a pretty decent sized group of Hollywood celebrities seem to be switching to the ecig because of the many health/cosmetic benefits. Such as it doesn't yellow teeth, doesn't make you smell, doesn't age the skin as bad/at all, doesn't destroy lungs/voice, isn't offensive to people around you, etc etc. They are likely a powerful ally given how easily they could turn public opinion against the Government/FDA if they take away their new toy.

Also, I believe there are at least two ecig manufacturers currently in lawsuits with the FDA/Govt over them seizing their shipments/forcing them to stop selling them stateside. Smoking Everywhere is one of the two, which operated kiosks in shopping malls around the country. The other was nJoy which was sold anywhere from gas stations (Kangaroo among others) to CVS. You had to be of the legal age that is required in your state (18-19) to buy them, but the Government/FDA is screaming that they are being marketed to children because they "have multiple flavors including fruit and candy", and because they "make smoking look more cool and attractive to the younger technology oriented crowd". /headdesk I guess adults don't like technology or fruits and candies! While the manufacturers may not win the lawsuit it at least ties up the legalities of ecigs at the federal level until it is decided. States are of course free to allow/disallow anything they want even now, but again I believe they can only disallow the in-state sales of them, not the possession or use (aside from places you can't smoke normal cigs). I know very little of law though so don't take my word on these things.

Your best place to go to keep up with whats going on in Virginia is e-cigarette-forum.com, and then navigate to the "Law and the Ecig" or "Ecig News" sections. A lot of places have "Vaper's Clubs" and meet-ups as well for getting together to just meet fellow vapers or to gather and campaign/protest against the banning of ecigs. Contact info of the congressmen/officials of places where there are laws proposed to ban ecigs is available as well.

Excellent choices as far as what you bought. The carts that come with the Yeti are so freaking good I'm probably going to order another starter kit just to get more of them T.T. Let me know how your camel flavor from electronicstix turns out as I've yet to try any camel types. I've only had Marlboro flavors so far, and only had Menthol from electronicstix. One thing to note is the lower the MG of Nicotine the less throat hit you will get (the burn/kick/awareness of the inhale) while vaping. 6mg is very low, but would be a great choice as long as it keeps you satisfied. If you can hang in there on 6mg you will likely either just gradually stop vaping/caring about that"smoking/vaping" fix (like me now), or end up not addicted to nicotine anymore, and able to stop at will (like my wife). If you find yourself not being satisfied by your ecig though try stepping up the MG levels until you are being satisfied, but don't push to the point where it makes your chest hurt or something. A lot of times people will think naturally it is the Ecig just not hitting good if they don't get a satisfactory vape is why I mention this. You don't have to worry about the ecig though because the Yeti is a freaking beast! Your mega-battery should seriously last you a whole day on a full charge. I can vape a whole day on one normal battery without holding back, but I don't chain vape it. The PCC further cements things, and makes it easier to transport it with it's accessories so I definately recommend that as soon as you have the money, and have tested your Yeti to find if it suits your needs.

Anyways, good luck to you, and I hope that the Yeti works out for you. If you decide to do carts go to the tips/modding section on ecigforum, and look up the straw mod! It makes carts "flow" a whole lot better, and causes less liquid waste/annoyance. I also don't recommend you ever wash the atty or anything as I've had nothing but problems when I did so. Always had problems with the wick if I started messing with them. Now I just stick to blowing them out and cleaning the threads with alcohol, and all is well. Just remember to use different atty's for different types of liquid (menthol, fruity, tobacco) so the flavors don't mix and taste like ass.

http://skepacabra.files.wordpress.co...e-you-know.jpg

TL;DR:

It's likely they will ban the sales of ecigs in Virginia, but you can still possess and use them if that happens. They may also ban the use of ecigs in places that conventional cigs are prohibited (bars, restraunts, etc), but until the lawsuits the FDA are involved in with multiple manufacturers are decided I don't think we will see any kind of outright possession and/or usage ban. If it eases your mind the state I live in has had that same indoors smoking ban going on for years now, and I still happily vape away anywhere and everywhere including my doctors office. She is thrilled that I've switched to ecigs. All the nurses were amazed by it, and they actually requested that I demonstrate it for them right in the middle of the place which felt a bit odd. XD

Oh, you've got green eyes.
    Oh, you've got blue eyes.
    Oh, you've got grey eyes.

BG Level

I just gave up, nothing beats that soothing flavor of a proper inhale. Come to think of it, I'm gonna go have one right now and then chew some gum before my gf gets here.

Silly Hat Connoisseur
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
    I just gave up, nothing beats that soothing flavor of a proper inhale. Come to think of it, I'm gonna go have one right now and then chew some gum before my gf gets here.
    oh god howie, you smoke? make me cry

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

***Update***

Sorry for the necro, but I wanted to do a final update:

So I ordered the 510 starter with the manual switch and Holy Shit is that thing powerful. I used to smoke Camel Unfiltered cigarettes and I found myself choking on this beast of an e-cig. In terms of cars if I considered the crappy model that I first bought as a Honda then the 510 is a Harley Fat Head with an after market exhaust system. I'm almost used to it, but still have a few coughing fits here and there. The battery life is horrid (maybe 4-5 hours on both batteries) but I bought it knowing that and the PCC case extends that 4-5 hours to 12-18 hours.

Funny thing is ironically when I bought the 510 kit, I had an unexpected bill I had to pay and had no money to buy regular cigs. I had no intention of quitting smoking, (just wanted to have something to smoke at bars) but with no cash to buy cigs, I was stuck with my 510. After a week of use, I bought a pack of cigarettes and almost died coughing as if it was my first time smoking. My skin is healthier, I can run up a flight of steps without felling like my chest is going to explode, I can breathe out of my nose, and I can smell and taste food. So far I haven't had a cigarette for a little over a week and have no interest in picking up one ever again.

Only downside is that I guess the technology is so new that almost no one knows about it. On my first night out drinking in a while I decided to do a test run and see which bars actually allow this thing after a demonstration with their manager. There's 10 bars within walking distance to where I live and only 2 allowed me to use the device inside, 4 wanted to get approval from their owner or GM and the remaining 4 weren't ok with inside use and 1 out of those remaining 4 were extremely adamant about it and wouldn't even let me demonstrate on the speculation that people would get jealous because they all had to go outside in the snow to smoke. Actually everyone was very interested in getting one themselves and probably won't ever drink in that bar ever again.

I really think E-cigs are going to be the future, whether as a tool to help people who are willing to quit smoking, or for people who want to be able to get around the smoking ban. Only time will tell...

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Didn't really read the thread but some lady was smoking one of these things front row in the club I work at and I ran up to her to ask her not to smoke inside and felt out of the loop when she showed me this mechanical smoker machine

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I would totally buy one of those, they look cool as shit. Alas, they seem to be banned in Canada.