Closed Thread
Page 6 of 213 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast
    BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...sto-Video.html

ArenaNet studio head Mike O'Brien updated the official ArenaNet blog today. Dubbed "Walking the Walk", this latest blog entry discusses all the details they've released on Guild Wars 2 since Mike's "design manifesto" article that kicked off the official ArenaNet blog months ago, and how ANet plans to now "walk the walk" by allowing gamers to get their hands on the game themselves at Gamescom in Cologne, Germany and later at PAX Prime in Seattle.

The demo that will be available to general public at Gamescom and PAX will consist of a level 1 human experience and a level 47 Charr experience. Mike encourages gamers to start out with the level 1 human to experience the game's personal storyline content, dynamic events system, cross-profession combos, visceral combat, and open world. Once you've got a hang for things, you'll want to pick up the level 47 Charr to check out some of the high-level abilities, though there won't be much in the way of storyline for the level 47 character as they don't want to spoil things for you.

You won't be playing alone, either, as the full ArenaNet team will be playing alongside youl. In fact, at least at Gamescom, ArenaNet will basically host a series of Guild Wars 2 LAN parties where developers will play with gamers 1AM to 11AM each day of the show. Now that's dedication!

Excited? Be sure to also check out the new Design Manifesto video that ArenaNet revealed alongside today's blog update. The video features members of the Guild Wars 2 team outlining the vision and features of the game along with tons of new gameplay footage, most of which will be part of the demo shown at PAX and Gamescom in a couple of weeks, and yes, this includes the giant dragon.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Shnaklaha View Post
    Well Cel, if you read their notes on the game mechanics from earlier archives....that's not what they're doing (phasing). It'll be changing constantly for EVERYONE. Like they say, if you save the town, the town will be saved for everyone until another attack, then blah blah blah.

I'm playing aion private server atm...but guild wars 2 looks great. I just hope the camera angles in the video don't make the game seem so bland if/when we don't have the same thing in game XD.
    Yeah I didn't read anything, just watched the video. Your explanation now sounds like Public Quests from Warhammer ;p

SwaggerlikeKillquick

Quote Originally Posted by Insanecyclone View Post
    That was the most exciting MMO trailer I've ever seen. I'm sold as of now.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Hells yeah, midgets driving robots

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

More on the no healers thing.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...-Everyone.html

A couple of weeks back Garrett talked a bit about the “Downed Abilities” Guild Wars 2 will be using to allow players to save themselves from death when they’re on the verge of defeat. The whole thing reminds me a lot of being able to still use your pistols in Left 4 Dead while downed, in hopes that your teammates will come to the rescue when able. But that’s only one half of the equation when it comes to how GW2 is dealing with death and healing. Also mentioned in Jon Peters’ recent blog on the official site is the fact that there will be no strict reliance on dedicated healers in Ascalon. In fact, there’s simply no dedicated healing class whatsoever.

Wrapped into the recent design manifesto video released by ArenaNet, the team talks about how they really just want to make sure their players spend their time having fun. And one surefire way to do this is to take away the need to spend two out of three hours online looking for a healer when your group needs one. Their solution to this age old problem is so simple yet terrifying to the stalwart players among us (myself included): let’s just ditch the notion that every MMORPG needs a dedicated healer. What could go wrong, right? And really, the more I think about it, the more I start to realize that ArenaNet might be right. Maybe you don’t really need a healer in your game to hold everything together. Maybe each class can contribute to the support of the party, with some classes being capable of a bit more certainly, but mostly the idea is to spread the wealth in terms of supporting the group and keeping each other alive.

Look, we’ve all been there. We’ve all been a part of a group that finds itself too reliant on a poor healer who may be more than equipped enough for the job but simply can’t click buttons fast enough to keep us all alive. Likewise we’ve all been a part of a group where we think we’re golden because we have our healing messiah only to find out that he or she is not as seasoned as we were led to believe… a discovery that results in our repeated deaths. Some time ago it was decided that classes should pretty much fall into the holy trinity of tank, damage, and heal. Jon Peters and the rest of the folks at ArenaNet seem to think it’s best to mix that up and give us a different take on the traditional tripod of MMO class roles: damage, support, and control.

But rather than just let all classes then have healing abilities, the beauty of GW2’s proposed system (and I emphasize that word because we don’t know if they can pull it off just yet) is that it allows players to mix classes as they did in the original. One example the aforementioned developer blog gives is of an elementalist using an AOE healing rain that will rejuvenate all allies in a specific area. It’s not that there won’t be healing abilities, it’s just that the entire game is being designed from the outset with the notion that a singular class doesn’t need to be centered on the healing mechanic.

So instead each class will be given different ways in which to support their groups. Whether it be with an onslaught of pure damage to the enemies, or with some defensive and offensive boosts, or with controlling the foes with knockdowns, interrupts, blinds, and knockdowns everyone will have something to offer the party. And what’s probably more important is that combined with the downed abilities, every class will be able to revive team members on the battlefield. No more waiting around a town or city looking for someone who can keep you from running back to the battle from the nearest graveyard, and no more waiting or in some cases even paying someone for their ability to heal. Guild Wars 2 is aiming to take away a lot of the reasons we MMO gamers get annoyed with whatever game we play. And while it remains to be seen if they can pull it off, there’s certainly reason to be hopeful.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I'm not much of a fan for action rpg games but it looks nice.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Better video version.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

jumping .

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

jumping and swimming were confirmed a while back. also char vid confirmed necromancer, although it was a given.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Its pretty bad I tried to hover over the skill bar to see what they were lol

The game looks fantastic, is there any hint of release date?

Sandpaper Demon
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Snowman Emperor
    FFXIV Server
    Exodus
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

this game looks so good, i really can't wait for it, of course i have no idea i'm going to be waiting for it.

[[removed]]

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

[[removed]]
    Whoa.

This is how you build an MMO.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

[[removed]]

Oh god that's amazing

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Like a boss. How the hell can guild wars develop something that clean for free? What the hell are MMO companies doing with their profits?

They must have toilets of solid gold or something.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Hate to beat a dead horse or kick a man while he's down but, wake the fuck up SE.

This is what we want out of a next gen MMO.

We're something like 6 months away from release and we get glimpses of fantastic looking things like this video to get people excited. 1 month away from 14 and SE rather reinvent the wheel than give us fluid gameplay, dynamic content (which prolly isn't possible on PS3?), and early - midlevel - endgame content.

Leveling is not content. Completing content while not noticing you're leveling is how it should be done.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 213 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast