BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by drwaffles View Post
    Did you even read my post? Does other Refresh gear cost gil per tick of MP, take up multiple inventory spaces, or give a -1hp/tick penalty? No. They're not comparable. In fact, the combination of the cape and the poison is more comparable to Sublimation than Refresh.
    Dalm is 1.6mil and Morrigan's is 16 mil. I mean, if you wanna go down that road, what's 16,000,000/4,500?

I'll tell you what it is, it's a lot of refresh.

Every day I'm wafflin'
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    Dalm is 1.6mil and Morrigan's is 16 mil. I mean, if you wanna go down that road, what's 16,000,000/4,500?

Knew I should've mentioned this in my post. Aside from having other distinct advantages (Chapeau's skill, Robe's nuking stats, Dalm's MDB/HP>MP), the difference is you don't pay per tick of MP for these items. Sure, it would take a long time for the cape to add up to the same amount of gil, but the fact that it's a continuous and cumulative payment is what I was getting at. Even if you don't think that's an issue, you can't debate that the inventory space, loss of -PDT% and poison effect aren't a concern.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ada Rusheart
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post

Is it also a really fukken ace Death Blossom piece, though? :3

Quote Originally Posted by Cairthenn View Post
    He didn't say that. He said the Refresh obviously isn't as useful as it would be on paper. That, along with wasted inventory space, unnecessary cost, and depleted HP (hi2u damaged Stoneskin), makes it rather unfavorable to actually use. To be honest, I would never touch this solo simply because I prefer to not have Stoneskin needlessly wasted.

If you're desperate for Refresh and not doing something that is actually important and requires having useful gear in your inventory, and don't mind the extra the cost, by all means..it won't help you that much.

I'll stick to my -6%/-12% PDT, though.
    Seriously all your argument apply to body slot. You don't waste any slot with mog satchel and 80/80 inventory. All you need is 2 extra slots. Get rid of the useless junk in your invo, because there are necessarily highly situational and useless gear in it. Damaged stoneskin ? Oh noes if you care about your pdt you're going to take damage anyway. This just in :

99% of the time Poison tester cape is beneficial for you
    Most of the time -7% pdt does nothing for you (cos ugh ... you don't get hit) and there is this nice thing called macro when you are going to get hit.

The Syrup To Waffles's Waffle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cair Bear
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by pchan View Post
    Seriously all your argument apply to body slot. You don't waste any slot with mog satchel and 80/80 inventory. All you need is 2 extra slots. Get rid of the useless junk in your invo, because there are necessarily highly situational and useless gear in it. Damaged stoneskin ? Oh noes if you care about your pdt you're going to take damage anyway. This just in :

Most of the time -7% pdt does nothing for you (cos ugh ... you don't get hit) and there is this nice thing called macro when you are going to get hit.
    I really don't have 2 extra slots, sorry.

As I said, the main reason I wouldn't use this aside from inventory is losing HP from Stoneskin.

Every day I'm wafflin'
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by pchan View Post

One stack of the food will last you 24 minutes. I don't know of many serious events/solos that last less than half an hour.

My normal RDM soloing gear is 79/80. If I get around to getting a cape, I'll certainly be tossing a couple pieces of hmp gear in my mog house and filling my satchel with fruit. Is it an uber piece of gear that you need to be competent? No. Is it always worth using? No. Is it still useful? Yes. You lose two spaces, one for a partial stack of fruit and another for the cape itself.. if you fill up your inventory with all your food you're doing it wrong as is. I only take out toolbags or food when I'm ready to use them. If you carry a seveneyes(1.98% mp saved) and composure refresh/haste/phal every 7.5 min, you're saving 2.5 mp in 10 minutes, or one fourth of a mp per minute. Pretty sure quite a few people carry seveneyes or even fourth mace.. which comparatively gives far far less than half the benefit of a cape + fruit for half the space.

Basically, if you carry seveneyes, fourth mace, or magnetic earring you've invalidated any argument you could make about space.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by drwaffles View Post
    One stack of the food will last you 24 minutes. I don't know of many serious events/solos that last less than half an hour.
    Assaults/Einherjar would be a good instance to use this, perhaps.

I don't know about other mages, but for Scholar this sounds pretty decent. Sublimation without Argute Gown or Scholar's Mortarboard is just 2 MP / tick. Ixion Cloak and Poison Taster's Cape would give the same amount without all the hassle of Sublimation. In addition, Ixion Cloak itself will negate the effects of Poison from the fruit. Couple this with Fields of Valor Refresh (Or add Regen for more HP Regen without wasting time for casting Regen,) Sanction, Signet (Blood of the Vampyr) and or Sigil and you have your 3 (or 4) MP / tick without even using Sublimation. For me, it looks much more useful for soloing / duoing. In party situations, its usefulness diminishes. To top if all off, Spellcast can be used to automate the gear swaps when the Poison effect is on without you having to do anything.

Like I said, sounds pretty snazzy for soloing on Scholar at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaksen View Post
    The newly introduced Elshimo Pachira Fruit will inflict a 1 damage/tick poison and last for 2 minutes. The best part is it only costs 154 gil each or 1848 gil a stack instead of 10k~ for poison potions. I tested the effects and you can still eat the fruit when you have a food on.

You can purchase the fruit at Ghemi Sinterilo who is the item vendor in the airport terminal in Kazham.
    Great back on welfare and gil unemployment.

Bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
    I don't know about other mages, but for Scholar this sounds pretty decent. Sublimation without Argute Gown or Scholar's Mortarboard is just 2 MP / tick. Ixion Cloak and Poison Taster's Cape would give the same amount without all the hassle of Sublimation. In addition, Ixion Cloak itself will negate the effects of Poison from the fruit. Couple this with Fields of Valor Refresh (Or add Regen for more HP Regen without wasting time for casting Regen,) Sanction, Signet (Blood of the Vampyr) and or Sigil and you have your 3 (or 4) MP / tick without even using Sublimation. For me, it looks much more useful for soloing / duoing. In party situations, its usefulness diminishes. To top if all off, Spellcast can be used to automate the gear swaps when the Poison effect is on without you having to do anything.

Like I said, sounds pretty snazzy for soloing on Scholar at least.
    If you're really implying that you'd ever NOT use sublimation without a magic refresh, you should probably just kill yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorny View Post
    If you're really implying that you'd ever NOT use sublimation without a magic refresh, you should probably just kill yourself.
    No. What I am saying is that Sublimation, in all it greatness, can be a little bit of a hassle during Soloing because of its indirect nature of giving MP Refresh while sucking away at your HP (which can be a bit of an annoyance if you do not want your Stoneskin damaged by Sublimation poison.) Umbra Cape is still a very good backpiece for soloing but I think it's not as useful in solo's where your not getting hit (I.E Jailer of Fortitude) in which case, P. Taster's Cape would be a slightly better addition.

If it's a nice addition, it's a nice addition regardless of sublimation. There's no reason to ever not use sublimation while soloing..

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by nitsuj View Post
    Einherjar yes, but I can't think of any assault challenging enough to spend extra gil on. Especially with Storm Fife, MP should not be a concern at all.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by nitsuj View Post
    Einherjar yes, but I can't think of any assault challenging enough to spend extra gil on. Especially with Storm Fife and Balrahn's Ring kicking in during assault, MP should not be a concern at all.

Every day I'm wafflin'
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

For the record, nowhere did I state that I don't think people should use it. I said that I'm not sure if it'd be worth the disadvantages associated with it. If they don't apply to you, and you're prepared to deal with the hassle of hauling around fruit, swapping it in and out of your satchel, using a piece every two minutes, etc. etc. then go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorny View Post
    If it's a nice addition, it's a nice addition regardless of sublimation. There's no reason to ever not use sublimation while soloing..
    You certainly are right. Just need to know how much HP you are getting drained for and adjust your gear accordingly. Sublimation would only interfer with a direct MP Refresh (FoV Refresh.) If you dont have FoV Refresh, then you can Sublimation it up.

A. Sublimation alone | 2 HP / Tick - Ixion's Cloak & Orochi Nodowa (Or FoV Regen.)

B. Sublimation + Fruit | 3 HP / Tick - Ixion's Cloak & Orochi Nodowa & Garden Bangles or FoV Regen.

Add Scholar's Mortarboard or Argute Gown and you have more Poison to deal with. But hence, you are right as it would only interfere with a real Refresh. Like I said, Sublimation is great, having Regen gear (or status) to counter it while soloing makes it even better. Without it, it is a slight annoyance.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
    Add Scholar's Mortarboard or Argute Gown and you have more Poison to deal with.
    Angler's Cassoulet

Semi-serious. I really use it for solo, but you can only pick up one per week. You don't have to repeat the quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Gergall View Post
    Angler's Cassoulet

Semi-serious. I really use it for solo, but you can only pick up one per week. You don't have to repeat the quest.
    Never even heard of that food. Very nice find! Can stack that with FoV Regen too lol.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Gergall View Post
    Angler's Cassoulet

This is my Corsair solo food, good stuff. I think i bumped into it doing the last set of WoTG missions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast