BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Distant Worlds     submit to reddit submit to twitter

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

The sound was fine in the seats I was in, as was the view. Save the fact that every time the FF title splash screens came up, the number was cut off, so if you believe my seats Distant Worlds was from FF1!

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

I think my only gripe was that I was expecting a bit more out of the FFXIV performance than just a live version of the trailer.

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

That and if I'm not mistaken, they never actually played The Man With The Machine Gun like he said they were going to after the XIV pieces.

edit: nvm now I remember it

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Callisto View Post
    That and if I'm not mistaken, they never actually played The Man With The Machine Gun like he said they were going to after the XIV pieces.
    They played it right before the FFXIV pieces (My room mate says I should respond "Are you mental?"). It was pretty awesome.

But yeah, I was hoping that the FFXIV was going to be more than just the live version of the trailer too. Still, it was cool to see it done live.

Edit: Ah, you remembered, good XD That wouldn't be a song you'd want to forget!

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xanthe Celaeno
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

That was such an awesome show. I was in 209-N-4, pretty close to a good Rydia and Yuffie cosplay. Much better view of the stage than I was expecting. I was impressed with the new arrangement of Dancing Mad. When they were taking "requests" for tracks on the new CD I was the one who shouted out Dancing Mad. . Best screen presentation goes to Swing de Chocobo with the dancing chocobos. The 14 medley was slightly extended compared to the trailer version, so a bit of a treat. Strongly considering coming back for the August concert. And I knew Susan Calloway had an awesome voice, but dang she was good.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

The August show is going to be fucking amazing. The Chicago Pops are good, don't get me wrong, but the CSO is one of the top 3 orchestras in the world (debatably the best). I'll be going to that for sure.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

It was great. Really glad I got to go. There was even someone from bahamut I didn't ask who. If they're ever in NY I'll definatly go again.

Every day I'm wafflin'
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Just out of curiosity, do the audiences at these concerts adhere to the proper etiquette for concert-hall performances? Or do they cheer and applaud whilst the orchestra is playing and between every piece in a set?

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

After every song people were cheering. Also when stuff was announced I guess (like what will be played next). Everyone loved cheering but the random shout outs from people were kind of annoying. Although I wish I yelled out "Sandoria Rules" a bit louder lol.

Every day I'm wafflin'
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Yeah, the whole announcing of pieces as you move through the programme and constant cheering would annoy me because I'm used to classical concerts where that kind of thing is complete taboo.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xanthe Celaeno
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno View Post
    It was great. Really glad I got to go. There was even someone from bahamut I didn't ask who. If they're ever in NY I'll definatly go again.
    Hoping they come to Rochester.

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by drwaffles View Post
    Yeah, the whole announcing of pieces as you move through the programme and constant cheering would annoy me because I'm used to classical concerts where that kind of thing is complete taboo.
    By the time they hit One Winged Angel it was a rock show with an orchestra in the background.

They were making it a point to make it a fan-friendly event, though.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

normally I would agree, as I'm used to the same setting. However, in this case the orchestra and conductor held long pauses between songs to let people clap, wasn't like a standard concert. I got annoyed a couple times when people would break out laughing during songs (the Chocobo one comes to mind) but it was all in good fun and I think they Orchestra expected it from all the songs the laughing was there on.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Toshi Prower
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Was an amazing show. I'd definetly go again.
    If anyone saw me I was the short girl with glasses, in the pinstriped dress shirt and black skirt combo

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I had to kind of get over that as well. It can get to a point where it surpasses fun and just becomes annoying. When people are applauding and cheering in response to credits DURING the music for example. But in general I like that the audience is so enthusiastic and that the musicians encourage lively feedback. There's common sense politeness (allowing the audience to hear the concert they paid to see), and then there's uptight stuffiness (etiquette just for the sake of following rules).

Every day I'm wafflin'
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynplaine View Post
    I had to kind of get over that as well. It can get to a point where it surpasses fun and just becomes annoying. When people are applauding and cheering in response to credits DURING the music for example. But in general I like that the audience is so enthusiastic and that the musicians encourage lively feedback. There's common sense politeness (allowing the audience to hear the concert they paid to see), and then there's uptight stuffiness (etiquette just for the sake of following rules).
    The etiquette is there for a reason. I completely understand why Distant Worlds would have a different atmosphere than your typical concert-hall fare, I'm just saying that if I was in that situation I'd feel a bit irritated and ill at ease. Although, most of the attendees probably won't have been to a proper orchestral concert before so I guess you can't blame them for not adhering to unwritten rules they have no knowledge of.

23 years old
    Rating: total douchebag

BG Level

Loved the concert, I went there with friends on a whim since I was in town anyway and then debated even buying a ticket since I'm not really an FF fan at all but I decided to try it, great decision.

The Dazzler
    BG Level

Posted an audio recording of the entire show in the other linked thread up above (in FFXIV section) if anyone was curious.

I went to both the Grand Rapids and Detroit shows and I have to say that Chicago was way better than either. Had I known so many BG people were going to be at the show I'd have got a hotel and hung out in the area

AkashiXI

The concert was pretty amazing. Ryko was in town so he went with my gf and I, and I saw my brother, his bf, and my good friend as well. I got REALLY lucky with my seating (bought my ticket the day before and got dead center/1st floor ticket, it was pretty sweet). The ronfaure medley was really good, but Dont Be Afraid was my favorite. All in all, pretty awesome show . Lol @ Nobuo playing air guitar during the encore performance, lol.

jponry
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Amazing show, I'll be going back August 1st when they are going to play their new set. Hopefully, more FFXIV content by then.