+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Senator Lierberman thinks that the compromise of the compromise is not compromised enough.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/14/he...alth.html?_r=2

WASHINGTON — In a surprise setback for Democratic leaders, Senator Joseph I. Lieberman, independent of Connecticut, said on Sunday that he would vote against the health care legislation in its current form.
    The bill’s supporters had said earlier that they thought they had secured Mr. Lieberman’s agreement to go along with a compromise they worked out to overcome an impasse within the Democratic Party.

But on Sunday, Mr. Lieberman told the Senate majority leader, Harry Reid, to scrap the idea of expanding Medicare and abandon any new government insurance plan or lose his vote.
    Lieberman, great troll, or the greatest troll?

BG Level

http://www.tnr.com/blog/the-treatmen...ble-cross-reid

Where on that spectrum the proposal falls depends entirely on the policy specifics, many of which are not yet public. Until the CBO produces its estimates, we can't know exactly how many people it would likely reach--or what it would likely cost, either to the taxpayers or those who might choose to buy it.

But Lieberman isn't waiting for CBO or anybody else to weigh in. He says he's worried that the Medicare buy-in would be the first step towards a single-payer system--and that it would bust the budget. (At least, that's his latest argument. As Steve Benen has noted, it's changed a few times.) Ergo, it doesn't have his support.

Lieberman wasn't always so skeptical about the Medicare buy-in. In fact, as a vice presidential candidate in 2000, he endorsed the idea. But that was before his bitter split with the Democratic Party--and the effort, widely supported by liberals, to unseat him in 2006.
    He holds that grudge like a dick, even if it means screwing over legislation for thousands of Americans without healthcare.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I think someone is just desperate for attention. I'm taking bets that 2 weeks from now we will hear about a new balloon-person incident

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    http://www.tnr.com/blog/the-treatmen...ble-cross-reid

He holds that grudge like a dick, even if it means screwing over legislation for thousands of Americans without healthcare.
    Only thousands. Thought it was 46 million.

BG Level

I don't know.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

I don't think the people of Connecticut even like Lieberman anymore. It's funny that he still thinks his opinions are relevant.

BG Level

For anyone who has not been paying attention, it seems the public options is dead. What they're now saying is the real meat of the bill is the expansion of medicare, like it says on the article.

Sources here:

Back in August, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said, "There's no way I can pass a bill in the House of Representatives without a public option. Unless someone comes up with a better idea, that's how we're going forth in the House."

On Thursday, though, Pelosi appeared to back away from that position, dropping the part about not being able to pass a bill without a public option and inching towards supporting the deal that Senate Democrats worked out earlier this week.

"Well, what I said -- it is a two-part statement that quotes what the President has said. We believe, we in the House believe that the public option is the best way to hold insurance companies honest -- to keep them honest and also to increase competition. If there is a better way, put it on the table," Pelosi said at her weekly press conference, in response to a question about her August comments.
    And here:

Is the watered-down, no-public-option healthcare reform bill worth saving? Or should it be killed? That is the question on everyone's lips today.

By Twitter, Markos of Daily Kos let it be known where he and many progressives stand on the issue: "Insurance companies win. Time to kill this monstrosity coming out of the Senate."

Did anyone really, really expect the public option to pass?

Shootin' rocks at monsters
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    I swear to all of you, my fellow Americans (and assorted Asians and Europeans) if I ever say something in a public office and then have to go back on it, I will not backpedal like a jackass.
    So you'll do it like an elephant?

I suspect something bad will happen to Lieberman man. No one can get away with shit like this for long. He's playing with peoples lives like it's a game or something. I don't give two shits about the public option anymore. But holy shit man, expansion of Medicare is bad? GTFO you nickel-faced asswipe son of a bitch. He agreed with the expansion of Medicare before it was announced as Plan B, even as early as 3 months ago.

He and his damn wife are just fucking lobbying for the insurance companies who are paying them millions. That money whore he calls a wife apparently is an ambassador of a Breast Cancer Association or something. MORE LIKE ABOMINATIONS OF FREEDOM.

This mofo looks more like the Joker from the Dark Knight if you add the make up on his face, that smile pisses me off. I hope when he's out of office, he gets a hernia that causes his balls explode into his eyeballs, and when he needs a medical procedure to fix it, his Barack prevents him from getting any, so then he'll get bankrupt just to have his procedure, and live as a hobo on the streets HAHAHAHAHAHA!

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Marootsoobutsu View Post
    So you'll do it like an elephant?
    Elephants don't backpeddle.. they just stubbornly stand in the way. And yes, that includes LIEberman.

Banned.

BG Level

I don't understand why everyone is so angry over Lieberman. I mean, he has never been solid on any issue. He votes according to what he thinks he can get away with. When he had a gun to his head by his constituents, he opposed the public option. In his heart, he wanted to vote for it, so as I expect will happen, when the Democrats give him enough cover (an excuse) he will vote for their plan.

He's up for sale people. Deal with it.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arathor

I'm still shocked by how totally back-asswards the American healthcare system is.

Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

http://www.buffalobeast.com/134/LIEBERMAN.gif

The Democratic party doesn't deserve to be in office. Bunch of Spineless cowards. Unless this goes into reconciliation this meaningless reform is nothing but a token gesture to the American people to try and justify them being in office.

Bring on the real change.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/object3/...34951_3200.jpg

Tempting...

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jodwahh View Post
    I'm still shocked by how totally back-asswards the American system is.
    FIFY

Black Belt
    BG Level

Fuck Lieberman. Honestly they don't need his damn vote. Pass it with 51 for all I care.

If this bill just boils down to adding a mandate, then it actually just makes the situation worse for everyone involved. Fucking retarded.

Black Belt
    BG Level

at least the one passed by the house had a public option. that's a worthwhile start, and vital to any reform bill.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast