+ Reply to Thread

Couple of PayPal questions.

Posted an ad on craigslist to sell my older PSP and have only gotten one bite off it from a guy who lives about 2 hours away from me. He suggested just mailing it and paying me via paypal, since I didn't want to spend $20 for a train ticket to meet him halfway when it's only being sold for $80. Set up my account and linked it to my card and everything for unlimited withdrawal and what not, but I have a few questions/concerns before I go through with this:

1. The guy says if he sends it as a "gift", he can't dispute the charge and won't be able to refund the money. Is this true? He says he'll put in the comment "thank you for the gift that I will NOT dispute or ask for a refund".

2. Having mentioned #1, it says it could take up to 3-4 days before the money is transferred from my paypal account to my bank account. The seller wants the item shipped and the confirmation number/tracking number as soon as the money is in my paypal account and not under the "pending" status. I'm sure the item will reach him before the funds are able to be transferred, would he be able to say he didn't receive the item and freeze the money in the account?

3. He refuses to use Western Union, saying all his money is in his PayPal account. Sounds like a scam, yeah?

I Have The Clap Again
    BG Level

well #1 is bullshit you can always dispute payment. the only way to make sure you don't get screwed 100% is wait until it goes in your bank account before you send the item. and that is the ONLY way

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

This is probably the oldest scam in the book, how could you even consider falling for this?

edit: I had to re-read that two times. My bad. I thought this guy was pulling the "It takes 2-3 days to send from my paypal to yours." Type thing. They do that shit all the time. They'll send you fake confirmation emails, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanss View Post
    well #1 is bullshit you can always dispute payment. the only way to make sure you don't get screwed 100% is wait until it goes in your bank account before you send the item. and that is the ONLY way
    Yeah figured this too, but the guy was like "oh, no I want the psp shipped the same day the money is in your account". Guess I'll just mention that I want the money to clear and see if he'll do that. If not, oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Senoska View Post
    This is probably the oldest scam in the book, how could you even consider falling for this?

edit: I had to re-read that two times. My bad. I thought this guy was pulling the "It takes 2-3 days to send from my paypal to yours." Type thing. They do that shit all the time. They'll send you fake confirmation emails, etc.
    Yeah, just says 3-4 days before its off the paypal account and into my bank account. However it also said it would take 3-4 days for the confirmation PIN number would be on my checking account statement to verify my account, but that showed up within 2 hours of requesting it. Is it possible for the transfer to be done that fast too?

Western Union is different though, right? Have never used that but a friend suggested that but didn't get any details from him. Something like he sends it electronically and I pick it up and a WU location near me, in cash or something? Closest one is only a 5 minute drive which is nice.

I Have The Clap Again
    BG Level

weird thing is I don't know why the guy would want to scam you over 80 bucks..

fucking sorry really, shit wait till find something for a couple grand to jack somebody

I Have The Clap Again
    BG Level

and with WU they hand you cash money

Quote Originally Posted by Titanss View Post
    and with WU they hand you cash money
    On that note, going to make it fuckin' rain baby.

On a more serious note, how exactly does it work? Do I need a WU account or something? No clue how the money would get from point A to point B. If it's instant, I'd assume I'd go pick up the money first and then ship the psp?

I Have The Clap Again
    BG Level

damn dude you really never used a WU?

ya anyway they are all connected he goes to one tells them the town/name of the person he is sending the money too and gives you a pickup # and they use a question if you don't have a photo ID, then umm ya you get the money

ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

been using paypal for nearly a decade. ask for cash

I Have The Clap Again
    BG Level

^

Sounds good then. They use the "money in minutes" feature I guess? Good shit. Thanks for the advice!

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nours Sruon
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by SaviorSelf View Post
    Sounds good then. They use the "money in minutes" feature I guess? Good shit. Thanks for the advice!
    I have transferred money from Paris to California in less than 5 minutes, it's really fast.

Sorry for bumping, but I have one more question. I'm pretty sure you can, but just want to double check.

Can you buy something online with paypal? Obvious answer would be yes which I'm positive you can, but how do you select that? Looking to get something on NewEgg and to avoid the guy getting the money back, I'd rather just spend it instantly. How long does it take to deduct the money from your PayPal funds?

I'm useless when it comes to shopping online, I seldom do as you can tell lol

That SpellCast Guy
    BG Level

If your Paypal is linked to your bank account or something, even if you take the money out, the guy can still dispute it and Paypal will take it out of your bank.

If you're not 100% confident, don't do Paypal, get a money order or cash.

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

You can only use paypal where it's offered as a payment option. Most reputable sites don't offer it because paypal is shitty for the seller and not worth the hassle. You could get a paypal debit card, but for how long it takes, you might as well just open a bank account.

Paypal sucks for sellers. You're treated like a criminal and buyers can basically dispute anything and get their money back no questions asked. If you use it, make sure you keep thorough records and copies of all your shipping receipts. Even then, you could still be screwed. I've had paypal automatically dispute transactions on its own and had to wait over a week while my friend who sent the money spammed them to drop the dispute.

I've got conversations with the guy where he agrees to paypal and what not, will give him the tracking number and everything and keep records of everything with him. If he does dispute and say he didn't get it, how much do I need to show PayPal for them to rule in my favor? Such a fucking hassle..

Quote Originally Posted by Deimos View Post
    If your Paypal is linked to your bank account or something, even if you take the money out, the guy can still dispute it and Paypal will take it out of your bank.
    Can't take what I don't have! D: lol It is linked to my bank account though, but God knows I never have money in there. Newegg take Paypal or nah?