1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 20 hours, 34 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 3 hours, 25 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 6 days, 13 hours, 34 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in -4 hours, -35 minutes

View Poll Results: What race will you be?

Voters
1134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Elezen

245 21.60%
  • Lalafell

232 20.46%
  • Hyur

285 25.13%
  • Roegadyn

124 10.93%
  • Miqo'te

248 21.87%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

What race are you going to be, and why?

I was browsing through the screenshots, and got to thinking that I really liked what the female Elezen look like, and thus that is what I am going to be once the game is released. Currently in FFXI I'm a male Elvaan. I may decide upon a Roegadyn at some point too as they look much better in FFXIV than the Galka in FFXI..but we'll see.

So what are you going to be?

Edit:

Elezen = Elvaan
    Lalafell = Tarutaru
    Hyur = Hume
    Roegadyn = Galka
    Miqo'te = Mithra

A. Body
    BG Level

Change them into the FF11 names cuz I don't recognize any of them.

My first choice will be Miqote, but if more media is released, and I don't like what I see, I would potentially look at female Elezen, provided they're less butch than they were in XI.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

It's not tough to remember..

Elezen = Elvaan
    Lalafell = Taru
    Hyur = Hume
    Roegadyn = Galka
    Miqo'te = Mithra

The op editted it aswell.. it's new races, not the same as XI, they do have alot resemblence. Get used to the new names. XIV is not XI.

New Odin
    BG Level

Galkas were simply awesome in XI, so Roegadyn is the obvious choice (instead of the lame hume 2a...)

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dana Key
    FFXIV Server
    Odin
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Stuck between Female Elezen, Roegadyn, and Male Hyur. I was tempted to roll Hyur Fem given the recent screenshots but I gotta wait for Female Elezen character creator shots first. Definitely not rolling Miqote though, the Michael Jackson nose is a major turn off.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

mithra unless they end up with any new hidden races.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Where are the sporty B cups options?

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Hyur, and I'm a be blaaaack, representin'.

VaguStae

Gonna be playing an Elezen M. :3

A. Body
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Roscobel View Post
    It's not tough to remember..

Elezen = Elvaan
    Lalafell = Taru
    Hyur = Hume
    Roegadyn = Galka
    Miqo'te = Mithra

The op editted it aswell.. it's new races, not the same as XI, they do have alot resemblence. Get used to the new names. XIV is not XI.
    The problem I have with the new names is that they seem to come out of some third rate fantasy novel with improperly assigned syllables that have no place in the English language. For some reason it annoys me a lot.

Meh, I guess I'll go with a Falafel wrap, I mean a taru, since I can at least read the name.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Well it IS a Japanese game after all.

Gonna go with Female Elezen since I have a Female Elvaan in FFXI, since the way they hold their weapons like they're scared of it is cute and they aren't the typical media view of 'pretty' yet still are attractive.

Apocalypse
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata
    WoW Realm
    Shadowmoon

Quote Originally Posted by GRT View Post
    The problem I have with the new names is that they seem to come out of some third rate fantasy novel with improperly assigned syllables that have no place in the English language. For some reason it annoys me a lot.

Meh, I guess I'll go with a Falafel wrap, I mean a taru, since I can at least read the name.
    ^this...i keep thinking that upon release SE will just "lulz it was just a joke...." and change them back to their ffxi names.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    Well it IS a Japanese game after all.
    And yet there are no Ls or Qs in the Japanese language, so some of this is the retarded english translation, which is even more retarded because our language always puts a u after q, so not only did they bastardize the japanese they bastardized the english as well.

New Odin
    BG Level

Too many y's too, to make sure I'll pronounce everything wrong.

A. Body
    BG Level

The thing is they made thet names pretty friggin great the first time they did it (in 11).

What happened since then? Did they get so embarassed by "The Translator" that they committed genocide against his kind?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vrumpt Vegallion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Roegadyn. Wanted to play galka in XI but MP limitations drove me away to Hume. from what SE has said so far Roegadyn should be more more balanced (i hope).

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

The thing is they made thet names pretty friggin great the first time they did it (in 11).

What happened since then? Did they get so embarassed by "The Translator" that they committed genocide against his kind?
    ya I dunno either, I know they want something different, but to make them so awkward on the mouth is just poor planning.

I'll probably keep calling them the old names for the longest time lol.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I have a theory as to why they changed the names, and I'm just gonna copypasta my reasoning from the other thread into here.

"I can sort of understand one of the name changes, considering if you know your history (or just google it), the phrase Mithra is actually a religious symbol/god.

true shit.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mithra

I'm assuming the change was probably due to some religious folks getting upset with their religion being tied in with the image of a cat girl. I guess SE decided if they have to rename one race, they might as well rename the rest. lol"

Also, I'm really torn between playing a miqo and falafel. I've always been a mithra, but now that tarus are taller and more appealing, I really want to play as one. =(

FFXI is not the first time the name has been invoked. You can find the name in several games/animes/books. A lot of artists/storywriters tend to pull from ancient mythology on a large part, if you hadn't noticed.

Just because you are most familiar with this rendition, do not believe that it plays any such part. That would be quite silly honestly.

Still not sure yet, but I think I'm most likely to play Hyur this time around.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast