Item Search

BG-Wiki Search

View Poll Results: Keyboard or Controller?

Voters
583. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keyboard (only)

295 50.60%
  • Controller (with or without keyboard)

288 49.40%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Keyboard or Controller     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by RyaWHM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stewie
    numpad
    hmm thanks, I never knew that!

(it must be a windower thing though, I just tried it on my mule and it's typing 46428428428646 into the chat window)
    Turn off NumLock. I leave NumLock on most of the time because I do tons of stuff on my calculator that is easier when using the numpad, but if I need to type while running I just turn it off and it won't enter the numeric characters while I change directions.

And keyboard for me, all the way. I do envy the controller's ability to bring up the macro overlay 'instantly', plus the ability to just hold down the direction buttons and have it constantly scroll through all visible targets (it doesn't auto-repeat when holding the tab button on the keyboard), but the keyboard is just so much easier to use for almost everything I do. Can't stand the compact keyboard layout either, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Motenten View Post
    I do envy the controller's ability to bring up the macro overlay 'instantly',
    This is one reason why I started playing FFXI with controller. The delay of the macro bar showing up when pushing alt/ctrl annoys me. I know binds are more reliable/faster but I'm too lazy to get used to remembering which bind is which.

Warrior Tank
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

Quote Originally Posted by vagus View Post
    Should ask who plays in full 3rd person view. Lol.
    If you mean playing whilst zoomed all the way out, then yeah, I do that.

As for the OP, Keyboard only. I tried out controller for a while but it's just slow . One of the things I like about this game, is how quickly you can use the keyboard for everything. WoW pretty much requires you to use the mouse for any kind of speed. I'm one of those crazy coders that likes to do everything in CLI, so the keyboard is my best friend.

The Patron Saint of Evasion
    BG Level

Here's what bothers me.

You cannot slow turn on a keyboard.
    You cannot slow walk on a keyboard.
    You cannot move the camera while in a menu on a keyboard.
    (Should change the above to "You cannot do anything with the keyboard and move at the same time unless you're autorunning and don't need to change directions)
    Moving is more cumbersome and less precise with a keyboard.

I don't feel like you can as effectively do stuff like this;

http://www.perfect-dodge.com/Example.avi

with a keyboard, at least not to the degree you can with a controller, and definitely not imho with the same ease.

I will say in support of a keyboard that, it sometimes takes a second for the pallet to come up on a controller; this is infuriating, I have no clue why it's like this, but it feels like you'd know your macros really well on a keyboard and be able to Alt+whatever which I'm pretty sure goes off even if the onscreen pallet lags a bit.

Overall, it's a comfort thing.

A controller just feels natural in my hands whereas keeping both hands on a keyboard is just cumbersome.

To each their own, but I can tell when people play on keyboard versus controller, their movements are usually very clunky, they tend to run into walls, get caught on corners, and generally tend to navigate more poorly than controller users, from my observations. Keyboard for movement at least, is honestly inferior due to the lack of control and finesse.

Ninja edit:

I will say for a static or at least mostly static mage, Keyboard > > > > > > controller. (Healers at big fights, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by DancingEdge View Post
    Here's what bothers me.

You cannot slow turn on a keyboard.
    You cannot slow walk on a keyboard.
    (Should change the above to "You cannot do anything with the keyboard and move at the same time unless you're autorunning and don't need to change directions)
    Moving is more cumbersome and less precise with a keyboard.
    To each their own, but I can tell when people play on keyboard versus controller, their movements are usually very clunky, they tend to run into walls, get caught on corners, and generally tend to navigate more poorly than controller users, from my observations. Keyboard for movement at least, is honestly inferior due to the lack of control and finesse.
    the "/" key on the numeric keyboard toggles between walk and run. also alters your turning speed to half. it wont take affect if you are auto running until you stop and then start moving again though (just like equipping movement speed + gear while auto running, and assuming you have blinkmenot on).
    i'm not sure if a controller gets you more precision than that though. do you get true analog turning with a controller or is it just the standard 8-directions on a analog thumbstick? if its only the 8, then it isnt any less or more precise than moving with a KB.
    i fancy myself to be a pretty good in-game toon navigator. i rarely run into walls or get caught on things unless i'm not paying attention or something (like watching tv).

I don't feel like you can as effectively do stuff like this;

http://www.perfect-dodge.com/Example.avi

with a keyboard, at least not to the degree you can with a controller, and definitely not imho with the same ease.

I will say in support of a keyboard that, it sometimes takes a second for the pallet to come up on a controller; this is infuriating, I have no clue why it's like this, but it feels like you'd know your macros really well on a keyboard and be able to Alt+whatever which I'm pretty sure goes off even if the onscreen pallet lags a bit.
    that kinda happens anyway on KB. if the pallet doesnt come up, even if you press alt+1 or whatever, sometimes the macro doesnt go off.
    but thats what keybinding is for.

Overall, it's a comfort thing.

A controller just feels natural in my hands whereas keeping both hands on a keyboard is just cumbersome.
    this is what it boils down to. i prefer KB. i've always used KB. i dont think i could even play FFXI on a controller.
    if the controller suits you, then that's what you should stick to.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Hold the Shift key and you can.

Every day I'm wafflin'
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Talka View Post
    Hold the Shift key and you can.
    I didn't actually realise this for the longest time - for ages I had to hit the Switch Target button whilst engaged in order to swivel my camera.

Quote Originally Posted by drwaffles View Post
    I didn't actually realise this for the longest time - for ages I had to hit the Switch Target button whilst engaged in order to swivel my camera.
    I still do this >__>

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Keyboard only, and I can't play in compact mode I have to use num pad to move and 0 to target

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Makwa Ironwill
    FFXIV Server
    Brynhildr
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Controller here, if/when I needed to type I'd just hold the controller with my ring/pinky and hunt and peck with my left hand lol. I still type really fast, and I just can't play keyboard only, I flip through macros pretty fast too.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Keyboard

Keyboard.
    Although recently I purchased a PS3 for the other half and finding myself getting glued to Wipeout/Little Big Planet and finding myself become abit of a wiz with the controller..

I've always played FFXI on keyboard + numeric keypad...! As many have said before I could see it being a hassle switching from controller to keyboard to type and I ♥ to type!

Having said that.. I've never tried to play ffxi on controller mainly because I haven't had an option to! But with the ps3 I might attempt it!

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I use keyboard full time. PC player although I have never touched the mouse, use WASD and arrow keys to play.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

controller with keyboard!

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

Controller

I use the keyboard for certain things but not very often. I find the keyboard to slow and cumbersome for doing anything. I'm one of those people though who learned to use a keyboard while sitting in front of it in the "proper" position with your index fingers on the F and J keys. I play sitting in a reclining chair for comfort so having the keyboard in my lap will make my hands get out of position and hit the wrong keys lol.

My controller just recently died and i been without one for like 2 weeks nearly now ><; it is pure hell and idk how anyone can play this game efficiently w/o a controller. Moving with keys is so robotic and stuff it just is weird and tiresome. You always feel as if your delayed too having to scroll through everything with tab and stuff. Also lots say that it be a pain typing with keyboard then moving with controller. You really dont notice it since usually you play with your controller right by the keyboard. i actually find it more productive because i can walk and type with one hand each.

Guess its just you can micro manage better with controller and i notice that a lot with peoples playstyles. You cannot be aggressive with a keyboard.. its to slow and you lose the mob every time it moves. or you waste extra time moving to it whereas with controler you literally can pivot on a dime ;D

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Converted my PSP into a controller using an app. It's very silly and funny to use on FFXI. XD

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Keyboard onry, no mouse either for the most part. I'm kinda glad in a way that the FFXI interface allows you to forgo using the mouse if you want. In two weeks of playing the WoW trial I started to get carpal tunnel from using the mouse so much.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Cletis Wtf is that? >.> ..how old is that? <.<

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8