BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Saving PS2 gamesaves from a PS3

I've just ordered the Sony repair service for my 20GB PS3 that's been having a lot of glitch, freezing, and display problems with PS3 games (FFXI and FFXII work fine). After paying for the repair service, Sony sent me an email listing steps I must take before delivering the system to them.

One of these instructions asked me to back up my data. I have a Western Digital 500GB external harddrive that I would like to save my data on. I'm aware that I'll need to install FFXI from scratch (OR NOT!), but I'm having difficulty with PS2 gamesaves. I've been searching other websites, and the general consensus seems to be that PS3 games can be backed up on the external harddrive, but PS2 games cannot be backed up.

However, I would like to ask and point out some things before I ask my main questions:

- Just a while ago I copied PS2 and PS3 files onto the external drive by going to the file itself => Hitting Triangle => Copy => Select External Drive
    - This seemed to work for both PS3 and PS2 games
    - I tried copying the PS2 file from the external drive back onto the PS3's virtual memory card and it seemed to work (Did not start up the game to check and see if it actually worked though)

Hence, it seems that people were saying you cannot back up your PS2 gamesaves, but from the looks of it, it seems possible.

Main Question: If I copy my PS2 gamesave from the PS3 onto an external harddrive and send it in, can I copy the gamesave from the external harddrive back onto the PS3 when it returns?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

get the ps2 memory card adapter and put it on a ps2 card

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'm curious now, does the backup utility back up files marked copyright-protected also, or are you screwed out of those?

[EDIT] Just tried the USB routine myself. Was able to take a save from USB and copy it to one of the virtual memory cards. It won't work on copyrighted saves though.

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    I'm curious now, does the backup utility back up files marked copyright-protected also, or are you screwed out of those?

[EDIT] Just tried the USB routine myself. Was able to take a save from USB and copy it to one of the virtual memory cards. It won't work on copyrighted saves though.
    Are either of the following a copyrighted save (Assuming not): FFXII, FFX-2, Tales of the Abyss, and KHII? I hope this works since it would save me money on buying a memory card + Adapter.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

You'll know they're copy protected when the PS3 refuses to let you copy them.

Same restrictions apply to the PS2 memory card adapter also btw. Very few PS2 games have copy protected data, the only one I think of off the top of my head being Burnout 3. Usually only applies to online-focused game where they don't want you game-save modifying.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

So in regards to the question, as long as I save my PS2 and PS3 game saves using the method provided, I won't have to start from scratch on all my games?

Breath Of Fire: Dragon Quarter being another, as far as I can tell. Wouldn't let me copy my saves over to the virtual memory card as well.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I can't see why not, long as you don't format the usb stick.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Cool, thanks!

Master of blackface Range Rover beer bottle throwing.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post

The Ethernet Data Transfer utility is supposed to allow copying of protected saves (well, doesn't really copy, it deletes the save off the old PS3) but I haven't tried it myself to see if it works.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

According to this, it appears copy-protected data does get backed up, but it'll refuse to operate if it's not restored onto the same PS3. Doesn't appear to work via the data transfer utility though.

Would be a lot easier if 'copy protected' just meant 'tied to your PSN account', would make the situation less of a hassle.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Possible help me

How do I start of the Games Hard Dsk

How Copy Games to Hard Dsk ps3

How to Play Hard Dsk
    I have a V.r 2.50

Thank you