View Poll Results: Which of the big 3 JRPG series is your favorite?

Voters
171. You may not vote on this poll
  • Final Fantasy

138 80.70%
  • Dragon Quest

11 6.43%
  • Megami Tensei

13 7.60%
  • JRPGs are for weeaboo nerds, no thanks

9 5.26%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

If you had to pick from among the big 3 JRPG series...

Which would be your favorite?

Just curious to see what people like, since each series appeals to a different type of gamer. Final Fantasy for people who like cinematic stories and gameplay that's practically reinvented with each new game. Dragon Quest for people who are nostalgic and crave the simplicity of old-school RPGs. And Megami Tensei for those who like something that's in-between, with gameplay that evolves more than DQ but less than FF, and occult-flavored plotlines. (at least, that's how I see them)

I picked Megami Tensei, which is funny, since I'd never heard of the series five years ago, but Persona 3 got me stated and Nocturne hooked me for life. It feels like the most intelligent and thought-provoking of the three series, with plotlines that really delve into some of the deeper aspects of the human psyche. The Persona games even introduced me to the theories of Karl Jung, which I've since grown fascinated by and plan on studying more in-depth at some point.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Final Fantasy is a dying franchise with less innovation each year and more CGI story telling than actual gameplay.

Dragon Quest continues to improve over the years with the core mechanic evolving for better gameplay.

Megami Tensei series is like the little brother of both FF and DQ series it holds both qualities and quanity of both series.

I'm slowly starting to dislike how the FF games are becoming, honestly can't tell how FF15 will be.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I'm only familiar with FF and DQ, and while I like both I've always enjoyed Final Fantasies more.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    My current interests say Megami Tensei, but my collection screams Dragon Quest.
    Replace Dragon Quest with Final Fantasy and you have my answer. If we separated the games by generation, I'd have a lot tougher time around the SNES era. But overall, I don't like the direction FF is headed, whereas SMT seems to be remaining very true to its roots while still growing and expanding on the foundation it has built.

Quote Originally Posted by Insanecyclone View Post
    I'm slowly starting to dislike how the FF games are becoming, honestly can't tell how FF15 will be.
    100% agree. I'm not even bothering with FFXIII, and it's the first time I haven't been anxiously awaiting the release of a FF game (excluding spin-offs and FFXI, which I couldn't play when it came out). I mean, I might play it eventually if I get a PS3 or 360, but I'm not worried about it at all.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Final Fantasy introduced me to RPGs, specifically FF7, but I'd be lying if I said any Final Fantasy has hooked me as easily and for as long as Persona 3 did for me, so I guess I'm gonna have to go with SMT.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Akira Toriyama's character designs make me want to blow my brains out.

Where the fuck is the Tales option? Seriously.

Big three my ass, Tales battle system rapes the shit out of most FF games.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
    It's all the same just with tale games you spam UP A down B etc to do attacks. Nothing really innovative there and the fact they HAVE TO YELL EVERY FUCKING ATTACK OUT LOUD AS POSSIBLE is really annoying sometimes.

Of the ones listed, I'm partial to FF and SMT more than DQ. I really like SMT games, but the gameplay generally doesn't do a lot for me, but the stories are usually interesting enough to keep me going. FF is totally hit or miss with gameplay or story. Sometimes one is awesome, sometimes both are awesome.

In terms of favourite RPG series, I like Suikoden for epic stories and BAWWW moments and Star Ocean for gameplay.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
    If I included everyone's favorite RPG series, the poll wouldn't fit on the page. Sales-wise, those are the big three most popular RPG series in Japan.

Well, if you don't count pokemon anyway. But pokemon is its own genre really.

Anyway, trust me, I love my Tales too.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

Although FFVI was my first RPG, I choose Shin Megami Tensei series. P3 and P4 are some of my favourite games.

AND, yeah, FF series has lost its shine. Hell, I don't even care about XIII or VS.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Gorgonnash

I feel the exact opposite. I actually love the direction Final Fantasy is taking and it generally makes me more enthusiastic about new titles because I don't always get the exact same game repackaged (story-lines aside.) So from the big three jrpgs(lol) I'd go with Final Fantasy.

As far as the comment about Tales of series only being spamming A or B or whatever the shit, pretty much all of these 'big three series' are about spamming a certain button and doing something else here and there when you need to heal. None of these games are difficult.

I keep reading on and on about how challenging and difficult FF13 is and it makes me want to strangle someone. Outside of a few optional bosses the game is a breeze and people finding it difficult either have down syndrome, or imported a game they don't understand.

Black Belt
    BG Level

I've enjoyed P3 more than any other FF to date, and seriously, fuck DQ series, I don't know why the Japanese loves it like it was an underaged schoolgirl.

I'm still hoping that FF would blew my mind again someday, but from what I heard about FFXIII, I'd be better off praying for an announcement for Xenogears remake for the current gen.

It really is too bad that God is trapped in the Zohar and wouldn't be able to do a damn thing about it.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I tip my hat to Final Fantasy because it tries really hard to reinvent itself each installment by trying to keep their battle system from going stale. I can't say the same for other franchises.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    If I included everyone's favorite RPG series, the poll wouldn't fit on the page. Sales-wise, those are the big three most popular RPG series in Japan.

Well, if you don't count pokemon anyway. But pokemon is its own genre really.

Anyway, trust me, I love my Tales too.
    Is Megami Tensei really that big in Japan?

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

It's huge over there.

So is DQ, though I never understood why. Perhaps Japanese fans are just incredibly loyal.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Insanecyclone View Post
    Final Fantasy is a dying franchise with less innovation each year and more CGI story telling than actual gameplay.
    They are changing more every installment than every other franchise...

If you want to bash the series, at least bash them for something that make sense.

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I have 2-3 favorites in each series(ff/shin megami) so hard to choose so I went with FF.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast