+ Reply to Thread
    Crackodactyl
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Only showing 2 of 4 gigs of RAM

Running 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate before "32 bit doesnt pick up on over 3 1/2 gigs".

Quick specs: Asus mobo socket AM2+, AMD Athlon2 x2 250 processor @ 3.0 Ghz, 600w PSU, 4 PCI 1 PCI-E 2.0 x16, GPU is ATI 5750 1gig HD card, 4 slots DIMM supports up to 16 gigs RAM. In slot 1 & 2 I have 512 sticks, and in slots 3 & 4 I have 1.5 sticks, all compatable with board. In SIW or just right clicking "my computer" and checking properties, its only showing 2 gigs out of 4, and showing the 2 1.5 sticks coming up as 512 sticks. I read somewhere that I might need to up the voltage in BIOS, which I've not attempted yet, wanted other opinions before I do that as I just flashed the bios and updated them and still getting the problem. Would rather find out something like "oh you have to turn on X option in windows 7 for that.." before I go tinkering with voltages since I jumped straight into 7 from XP and am new to alot of the available settings.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ferien Terzo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Swap them so the 512s are in 1&3 and the 1.5s are in 2&4. It's possible you fucked up the dual-channel positioning and the sticks are defaulting to the lowest in the other slot.

Also, there's a BIOS setting you need to flip to get it to pick up more than 3.5 or so, called Extended RAM or Advanced RAM or something like that. Otherwise the board will only report 3.5 to the OS, 64-bit or not.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

1.5GB DIMMs? Something funny there.. I've never heard of anyone making memory sticks of that capacity.

Any chance you can take a pic of the memory stick itself, especially the label on them? Or if you have it the box they came in so I can track down the manufacturer..

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Ferien View Post
    Swap them so the 512s are in 1&3 and the 1.5s are in 2&4. It's possible you fucked up the dual-channel positioning and the sticks are defaulting to the lowest in the other slot.
    This, RAM slots usually alternate and need to have matching sticks in those slots. That said, it's generally a bad idea to mix RAM of different sizes and brands.

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

Quote Originally Posted by Olo401 View Post
    1.5GB DIMMs? Something funny there.. I've never heard of anyone making memory sticks of that capacity.

Any chance you can take a pic of the memory stick itself, especially the label on them? Or if you have it the box they came in so I can track down the manufacturer..
    I want pics also of this 1.5gb ram , sounds...interesting because ram goes from 256-->512-->1g-->2g-->4g

Relic Horn
    BG Level

I've never come across a 1.5 GB DIMM either.

Yes, you have 4x512 sticks in that pc, therefore explaining why it is showing 2gb.

Crackodactyl
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Thanks for the help, got it sorted out, and sorry for the trouble.

Story: There's a flea market here just outside of town (freakin huge place) that has a computer parts booth, guy was real nice. Bought the 2 1.5 sticks there, they didn't have tags but he assured me they were 1.5, only paid 30 bucks for both. Anyway, ran SIW again and checked the serials after you guys said that about never seeing a 1.5 before, came back as Nanya Technology 512 sticks :/

Went back up there today and told him, he was real nice about it and gave me 2x 2gig sticks in exchange, which are working fine, yay!

Lesson: Don't buy ram from a flea market D:

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Asai View Post
    Lesson: Don't buy fucking ANYTHING from a flea market D:
    ftfy

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Asai View Post
    Thanks for the help, got it sorted out, and sorry for the trouble.

Story: There's a flea market here just outside of town (freakin huge place) that has a computer parts booth, guy was real nice. Bought the 2 1.5 sticks there, they didn't have tags but he assured me they were 1.5, only paid 30 bucks for both. Anyway, ran SIW again and checked the serials after you guys said that about never seeing a 1.5 before, came back as Nanya Technology 512 sticks :/

Went back up there today and told him, he was real nice about it and gave me 2x 2gig sticks in exchange, which are working fine, yay!

Lesson: Don't buy ram from a flea market D:
    Good to hear that he was a stand-up guy and swapped them out for ya!

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

1.5 gig sticks lol

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Speaking of odd memory sizes, I've seen someone's computer with only 768 MB RAM. What sort of configuration gets you that amount? Or is something wrong with their computer?

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

512 and a 256 stick; probably just super old school.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Caiyuo View Post
    Funny story, my friend and I went digging through his old things looking for a pair old computers he had and when we found them and opened them up, there was still ram in the mobos. He got all excited because he needs more ram to upgrade his current desktop that is lacking. Then he checked the label and found out that they were 128 mb each lol.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin View Post
    Speaking of odd memory sizes, I've seen someone's computer with only 768 MB RAM. What sort of configuration gets you that amount? Or is something wrong with their computer?
    My second computer was a Duron 800 with 768 mb lol

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yup, I had a Duron (don't remember what exactly) with the same amount of ram. I remember the amount was confusing as hell to me even back then and I always forgot how much it was exactly (even though it's everything a multiplier of 128 you rarely heard of 768

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Caiyuo View Post
    Heh my old machine, which I now use for testing software and fucking around with Linux, has 1.75GB in it..

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level

1.5gig

I lol'd

no offense, just damn funny.