+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gaming Headset     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Gaming Headset

Can any one recommend a gaming headset w/mic?

My last logitech came out of the box with problems, and seeing as I got it from a dying Circuit City store, I have had to deal with it up till now.

I'm looking for a decent one, but <$50 if it can be helped. I don't need mega bells and whistles, just looking overall for a good deal. USB would be great since I like splitting ventrilo and FF sounds through headset and pc speakers respectively...unless some one knows how to do that without using a USB headset o_O.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Some Sennheiser CX-300 (or CX-500) and a cheap lapel mic off ebay.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I saw lapel mics, and have never used one, but I get the feeling I wouldn't like it much. I've always used headphone + mic combos, and haven't had much issues with them until my last one.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

They're less hassle than wearing headsets. I like gaming with vent/teamspeak using in ear headphones because I have a tough time hearing voices over in game music whilst using larger headsets/speakers. I can get a better mix between the vent volume and the game volume this way.

Lapel mics just clip onto your shirt or onto the cord of your headphones. The only real problem with this set up is gaming for more than 2 hours starts to become a bit tedius with in ears.

Have you considered Logitech Fatal1ty branded stuff? A friend has one of those headsets and he says it's very comfortable and sounds decent.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Here's a review of the Fatal1ty headphones. http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi...tal1ty_review/

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I got this set free with my purchase of UT2k3 in 2003 and have been using them ever since with no problems http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-981-0...2277828&sr=8-4

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Aye Logitech stuff is always a safe bet, they'll last you a couple of years and they're cheap enough to replace if they break for whatever reason.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

The only problem I have with those over the ear type headsets is they dig into my ear after a short time of using them. I had that problem with a pair of sony ones I owned back in the walkman days (lol). I'm reading reviews on that, and they don't seem to be any better in that department, which makes me want to shy away from them =(.

I did see that fatal1ty one on new egg, and it got some good reviews. But 50 is a lot for a headset, so I wanted more input on others before I decided to go with that one.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Aye it's a tough one, the exchange rate is a bit screwy and I wasn't sure if they'd be much within your budget or not.

Another over ear headset but I personally have one of these and they're very comfortable - http://www.steelseries.com/int/produ...ll/information The padding is so thick that the speaker covering doesn't actually touch my ears at all, making it very comfortable. And the strap ensures they seat properly on your head without any hassle of adjusting anything. Only problem with them is they're probably quite a bit out of your budget.