FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Kick-Ass (MC: 66, RT: 76%)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1250777/

Release date: April 16, 2010

Plot: Dave Lizewski is an unnoticed high school student and comic book fan with a few friends and who lives alone with his father. His life is not very difficult and his personal trials not that overwhelming. However, one day he makes the simple decision to become a super-hero even though he has no powers or training.

Plot with SPOILERS:
    Spoiler: show
    Dave Lizewski, an otherwise ordinary New York City high school student and the child of Greg Willer, loving single father, takes his interest in comic books as inspiration to become a real-life superhero. He assembles a suit and mask, which he wears under his normal clothing, begins exercising, and practices things like walking on roofs, sating his ambitions for a time. He eventually seeks to fight crime, with his first attempt leading him to receive a severe beating and stabbing by thugs, followed by his wandering into the street and being hit by a car. He retains his secret identity, however, stripping off and hiding his costume before paramedics arrive.

Telling his father he was mugged, he undergoes intense physical rehabilitation, including four operations. He is released weeks later, and as soon as he is off crutches dons the suit once more and goes on patrol. When he saves a man from a beating, an onlooker catches the scene on a cellphone camera and uploads it to YouTube, turning Lizewski into an overnight sensation christened with the name Kick-Ass.

In school, the mugging excuse used to cover up his bruises spawns rumors Lizewski is a gay prostitute. Believing them, his longtime crush, Katie Deauxma, adopts him as a "gay best friend". Lizewski goes along with this in an effort to spend time with her. His father, worried about him, gives him a can of police-issue pepper-spray for protection.

As Kick-Ass, Lizewski sets up a MySpace account, so people can contact him for help. The first such request he investigates leads him to an apartment of violent lowlives who try to kill him. He is rescued by a costumed, sword-wielding young girl named Hit-Girl, who kills all the attackers and then leaves to join a grown man named Big Daddy. The two disregard Lizewski, who later learns that Kick-Ass has inadvertently inspired a subculture of people dressed in makeshift, original superhero costumes. Later, one such hero, the Red Mist, appears, and teams with Kick-Ass on street patrol. The two gain great public popularity after nearly being killed rescuing a cat from a burning building.

Kick Ass, at the behest of Big Daddy and Hit Girl, accompanies Red Mist to meet the duo at an abandoned warehouse to strategize the takedown of local drug kingpin John Genovese. There they find Big Daddy and Hit Girl captured, and Red Mist reveals himself as Genovese's son, who had orchestrated this ambush. The gang kills Big Daddy and tortures Kick Ass, but fails to kill Hit Girl, who escapes and returns to kill several of the gang-members.

What IMDB says:
    Aaron Johnson and Chloe Moretz could become two of the hottest young stars this year if their respective projects live up to the advance hype; aside from this comic adaptation, Johnson is playing John Lennon in Nowhere Boy while Ms. Moretz will appear in Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Let Me In. Perhaps they should start dating one another to really cause a tabloid frenzy. Anyway, back to this adaptation of the comics by Mark Millar (he's the guy behind Wanted, too). You might remember that director Matthew Vaughn raised the cash for the production independently since the major studios feared the comic's level of hyper-violence; if I recall correctly, this was right before the Iron Man era, when the idea of developing "unknown" comics wasn't an option in Hollywood. Fast forward to Comic-Con 2009, with Lionsgate on board and knockout footage that was received better than Avatar and other major league projects, and an online sensation was born. The question of whether or not this one goes mainstream might not matter; with such a low budget, a built-in audience, and a storyline that naturally leads to a sequel -- which already has a premise, according to Millar -- a second chapter here could be more of a sure thing than Wanted 2.

So basically it's based off a comic book that was done by the same guy who did Wanted.

Cast:
    Mark Strong ... Frank D'Amico

Nicolas Cage ... Damon Macready

Chloe Moretz ... Mindy Macready / Hit-Girl

Aaron Johnson ... Dave Lizewski / Kick-Ass

Christopher Mintz-Plasse ... Chris D'Amico / Red Mist

Lyndsy Fonseca ... Katie Deauxma

Tamer Hassan ... Mike

Xander Berkeley ... Detective Vic Gigante

Clark Duke ... Marty

Evan Peters

Omari Hardwick ... Marcus

Ashleigh Hubbard ... Blonde

Michael Rispoli ... Big Joe

Randall Batinkoff ... Tre Fernandez

Adrian Martinez ... Ginger Goon

Katrena Rochell ... Female Junkie

Deborah Twiss ... Mrs. Zane

Nelson Frazier Jr.

Stu 'Large' Riley ... Stu

Val Jobara ... Goon (as Walle Jobara)

Tim Plester ... Danil

Kofi Natei ... Rasul

Melissa Anne Smith ... Cheerleader

Kenneth Simmons ... Kenny

Peter Brooke ... Doctor

Jack Steele ... Comic Book Store Manager

Ohene Cornelius ... Gang Kid #2

Max Callum ... NYPD Officer (uncredited)

Daphne Cheung ... Chinese Peasant (uncredited)

Wayne Curnew ... Bartender (uncredited)

Anthony Desio ... Goon (uncredited)

Clive Elkington ... Teenager (uncredited)

Johnny Hopkins ... Gang kid (uncredited)

Corey Johnson ... Goon (uncredited)

Tangara Jones ... Gang Girl (uncredited)

Pauline Stone ... Comic Book Store Customer (uncredited)

Viral for the characters;

Kick-Ass

http://www.myspace.com/kickass_comic

Hit-Girl

Big Daddy

Red Mist

And the comic it's based off of;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kick-Ass

23 years old
    Rating: total douchebag

BG Level

Love millar, between daredevil and spider-man I;m already hooked on romita's stuff. Hit-girl is honestly amazing, I've loved the character since first appearance, the whole series is good though. Will be seeing this opening day.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meliadoul Tinjeru
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I think that'll be the first movie I see in a theater since The Dark Knight.

Looking forward to this... but Nickolas Cage... ugh, what bad casting. But he won't ruin the movie for me.

haha after watching the trailers, i'm really excited for this.

really people? this looks horrible.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Penthesilea View Post
    really people? this looks awesome!
    I agree, it does look awesome! Can't wait.

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

Looks interesting, I don't know why people are hating on Nicolas Cage, he's a good actor.

The only good movies Cage has done was Raising Arizona. That's because he played himself.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Ever seen Adaptation? I admit Cage has had alot of stinkers but he can do good when he isn't coasting for a paycheck.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Turalyon

Looking forward to this - adding to Cage thing, I somehow can't stand his acting either.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Can't wait for this

Quote Originally Posted by Maguspk View Post
    Looks interesting, I don't know why people are hating on Nicolas Cage, he's a good actor.
    Knowing.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fryte Avarise
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I really liked him in Bad Lieutenant and that movie where he's the EMT.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Con air was good, then he got into shitty pg movies :/

No Pants, No Problem
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

The Red Band trailer makes the movie look like a ton of fun. I'm not expecting anything great from this other than some fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiaIbN-eltg

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I didn't like the comic too much tbh. I guess it was the world war hulk artwork in combination with the first chapter. It does seem to be getting better as the comic goes along though at least. It went from meh when it started to Hmm not bad/interesting.
    Then again that makes it better than a bunch of comics out there lately that I've been reading halfway for the "trainwreck" that you feel coming along.

23 years old
    Rating: total douchebag

BG Level

It honestly depends on where you start out with romita. WWH is meh, but Peter Parker: Spider-Man and Man Without Fear were both spectacular titles.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

John Romita Jr. is one of the best artists out there. He's been around since the 80's. Anything he pencils makes the story more enjoyable, even if it's by Chris Claremont.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

ugh i hate the way Romita draws heads/faces

did the final issue of this come out yet?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast