Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Attn: BG M.D. Gallbadder removal and surgery advice.

I'm supposed to have laparoscopic cholecystectomy(Laparoscopic removal of the gallbladder) done on Thursday. I've never had surgery and I don't know what to expect.

Anyone ever had this done? Also, I have insurance but I'm worried they might make me pay something up front. Anyone have any idea of they do that?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I had my gallbladder removed in 2002. There's nothing to worry about and you should be up and about in 2-3 days. I went home the same day as my surgery. The scars will be small to see so you don't have to worry about that.

As far as insurance, I can't help you there (Go Go free health care).

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Workout on the Wii Fit prior to surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by xopher View Post
    Anyone ever had this done? Also, I have insurance but I'm worried they might make me pay something up front. Anyone have any idea of they do that?
    Call your insurance company and discuss your benefits for this sort of procedure. That way you know from them for sure.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I'm supposed to have laparoscopic cholecystectomy(Laparoscopic removal of the gallbladder) done on Thursday. I've never had surgery and I don't know what to expect.

They shouldn't, if your insurance is covering the procedure then you're good to go. If the date is set you should be fine, double check to be on the safe side. Might be some bs 20 dollar co-pay but even that I doubt. Good luck!

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Don't worry about it, laparoscopic procedures don't require you to be sliced completely open, and cholectomy are like the most common one, you should be fine.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Bipolargod View Post
    They shouldn't, if your insurance is covering the procedure then you're good to go. If the date is set you should be fine, double check to be on the safe side. Might be some bs 20 dollar co-pay but even that I doubt. Good luck!
    Thanks for pointing out my typo lol.

My worry is that my insurance has a $1500 deductible. But I can't remember if they make you pay that up front or just bill you.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Thanks for pointing out my typo lol.

My worry is that my insurance has a $1500 deductible. But I can't remember if they make you pay that up front or just bill you.
    I'm not sure, I always thought deductibles were charged at the beginning of the year by all insurances? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's how it goes.

Edit: Wasn't pointing out a typo, was just answering that question directly so I put it on bold. ^^

Packin more heat than spicy
    8=====>

BG Level

my grandma shits a lot now after having her gallbladder removed. not sure if it's related

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

You'll be billed for anything applied to the deductible + the percentage not covered (80:20, 90:10, etc). The hospital will start by billing the insurance company, then insurance company will pay either a certain percentage and/or apply it to your deductible, and the hospital will bill you for the difference. You may not get a bill for a month after the surgery.

It should also be noted that if certain conditions are met, varies by policy, the insurance company may pay the whole bill and not apply any of it toward deductible, as is the case with regular doctors visits and what not.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Setsuko View Post
    my grandma shits a lot now after having her gallbladder removed. not sure if it's related
    It doesn't change the frequency of your shits, just the consistency. The liver makes bile which helps to digest fatty food. The gallbladder is a reservoir for bile. Once you get it removed, you have a consistent trickle of bile.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    You'll be billed for anything applied to the deductible + the percentage not covered (80:20, 90:10, etc). The hospital will start by billing the insurance company, then insurance company will pay either a certain percentage or apply it to your deductible, and the hospital will bill you for the difference. You may not get a bill for a month after the surgery.
    So nothing up front?

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

I'm not familiar with your insurance, but I'd be pretty certain the answer is no.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Ok sounds good.

So nothing up front?
    Not exactly that simple. Your benefits plan will determine what your "up front" payment ultimately will be, which is why you want to talk with your insurance company prior to having the surgery so that you know what to expect.

My mother-in-law has a $3K maximum deductible in a calendar year, but her plan doesn't make her pay the first $3K of all medical costs. It's still staggered as a coinsurance situation. She just has a $3K cap on deductible payments, and that's what resets each January.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Quote Originally Posted by Acturus View Post
    Not exactly that simple. Your benefits plan will determine what your "up front" payment ultimately will be, which is why you want to talk with your insurance company prior to having the surgery so that you know what to expect.

My mother-in-law has a $3K maximum deductible in a calendar year, but her plan doesn't make her pay the first $3K of all medical costs. It's still staggered as a coinsurance situation. She just has a $3K cap on deductible payments, and that's what resets each January.
    If I'm understanding what he's asking, it's whether of not he'll have to pay for the uninsured percentage/deductible before the surgery is done. In which case, the answer is no as far as any insurance plan I've ever had. They cannot determine the cost of the surgery til after the surgery and cannot determine the percentage billed to the customer til after the insurance company pays it's percentage. If that's the case, he may not see a bill til a month (or later) after the surgery.

edit: And you better pay your fucking bill...it screws the rest of us if you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    If I'm understanding what he's asking, it's whether of not he'll have to pay for the uninsured percentage/deductible before the surgery is done. In which case, the answer is no as far as any insurance plan I've ever had. They cannot determine the cost of the surgery til after the surgery and cannot determine the percentage billed to the customer til after the insurance company pays it's percentage. If that's the case, he may not see a bill til a month (or later) after the surgery.

edit: And you better pay your fucking bill...it screws the rest of us if you don't.
    Oh, I see. I misread it as, "do I have a deductible or coinsurance to pay when I walk in".

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

^

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server