+ Reply to Thread
    Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

My computer has alzheimers?

The other day my computer started saying it had low disk space. I tried to delete some stuff to make space but then I noticed that no matter how much I deleted it still said I had 0 space left. I tried restarting and then noticed I did have a plenty amount but soon I watched as the number began to drop and drop until it reached zero again. I don't know anything about computers really so anyone here know what might be wrong with my computer? Is it a virus or it just broken?

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

My Computer > Right click C: drive > Properties

How much used/not used?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Says 289 GB used, 0 not used right now but there should be 10+ GB not used.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cyn Dane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Woahshit, alzheimers is a STD?

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Use something like Space Monger to help locate what's hogging the disk space by oddly oversize folders.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    Use something like Space Monger to help locate what's hogging the disk space by oddly oversize folders.
    This. I've used WinDirStat for this before, but any similar utility should work.
    What I've usually found is that something is generating log files or the like far more than usual and/or is not clearing old ones.

If you actually have free space on reboot, then it may be a virtual memory setting or pagefile issue.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

^ Yep.. Sounds like the memory swap file, or your browser cache, or both.

Under 10 gigs left on your hard drive = time to get a secondary storage drive and move your pr0n.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

you may have a virus replicating itself.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level

If you are low on space, certain workings of your OS can hog up disk space. In this case, Disk clean up tool that comes with all versions of windows will be invaluable.

Aside from that, is your physical harddrive making a lot of noise? Specifically clicking noises?

Another thing that could go wrong is that your hard drive is having a lot of errors, in which case defragmenting should help.

A possible problem from what some Googling found for me is that it is System Restore points cluttering up your HDD. Try one of the following steps to clear out the restore points and see if your space returns:

Quote Originally Posted by Article on another website
    1] Run Disk Cleanup from Start > All programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup.

After the initial, sometimes slow, compressed file check, the main window appears with two tabs. Disk Cleanup is the normal one everyone uses, but the 2nd tab, "More Options", has the useful option of "System Restore". This allows you to remove all but the latest System Restore point backup files. That is what the _Restore hidden folder holds.

2] Disable System Restore, then re-enable it immediately.

Find your My Computer icon, right click it and select Properties. In the System Restore tab, select "Turn off System Restore", click Apply/OK, then return, and re-enable it.
    Your problem sounds a little different from how this one sounded, but it's worth trying and I hope this works for you as it's an easy fix! Good luck let us know if you get it fixed.

/facepalm... I just found a good chunk of HDD space myself. Lately I've been wondering why my drive was almost full when it shouldn't have been. I eventually wrote it off as too many videos and games saved and that I just didn't remember well. Well, today I've been doing nothing but PC maintenance deleting unused apps, folders, files, etc, and wouldn't you know I had Peerblock set up to log allows and blocks, and I thought I had it set to delete them daily, but it was set to Archive and Delete every day. So I've literally logged every single IP I've ever connected to since I installed PeerBlock on top of Peer Guardian which was August 29, 2009. Ended up reclaiming 40GB after deleting the logs rofl!

Maybe you have a similar situation going? Would explain how you can watch it fill up your space since every connection would be written to the logs and gradually filling you back up. If you have Peerblock installed give it a check. Good luck with it!

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

when you deleted the files, did you actually delete it or just send it to the recycle bin?

Quote Originally Posted by fishstix View Post
    when you deleted the files, did you actually delete it or just send it to the recycle bin?
    Edit: Nvm I see what you are referring to in the OP now. Excuse my retarded-ness! /slowly backs away from the PC...

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

yeah I don't mean to be an ass about what I said, but sometimes the simplest things are overlooked :3

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

I seem to have solved my old problem by breaking something new.

I got my computer reseting every time it started so I decieded to use HP recovery system to restore the computer to it's original state. I saved everything I had to a portable HD.

Once the recovery system had finished I attempted to restore all my saved files by using the backup file.exe I found on the portable HD. This created a a file called system recovery files which seems to contain all my old files. The thing is most of these files don't seem to work. My computer won't allow me to see any of the pictures or hear any of the music, though strangely a few songs do work. All the program folders also only seem to contain their readme's and program pics.

Anyone ever use the HP system recovery or know what might be wrong?