FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

I find it hard to believe that someone dies of "natural causes" at age 30.

THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Dimmauk View Post
    What is up with all these young 30 year old celebs dying of "Natural Causes"?
    Technically it's a wide-reaching term. Anything that does not involve human interference (the obvious alcohol poisoning or overdose) is ruled under it. They could not have been indulging their habit at the time but could have experienced organ failure from prior events, which would fit the rule.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

These kids, I swear. They think "bust" means "tits" and they think "natural causes" means "old age."

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

This guy wasn't a celebrity to most, but after reading this article he should be.......

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/04/wo...gland.html?hpw

Twice he was captured and escaped, once by back-flipping over a snow bank and running off into the woods before his guards could use their weapons.

Can just see that. Brilliant.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I thought this guy was interesting. Not a celebrity, but notable.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news...t.Bomb.Victim/

The last (only?) survivor of both Hiroshima and Nagasaki passe away.

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Quote Originally Posted by quannum View Post
    cocaine is natural

also, a helluva drug
    Clearly these young'ns are using it wrong since Rick James made it to like 70?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Ravenholdt

Not really a celebrity, but the only double atomic bomb survivor.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100106/...it_bomb_victim

TOKYO – Tsutomu Yamaguchi, the only person officially recognized as a survivor of both the Hiroshima and Nagasaki atomic bombings at the end of World War II, has died at age 93.

Yamaguchi was in Hiroshima on a business trip for his shipbuilding company on Aug. 6, 1945, when a U.S. B-29 dropped an atomic bomb on the city. He suffered serious burns to his upper body and spent the night in the city.

He then returned to his hometown of Nagasaki, about 300 kilometers (190 miles) to the southwest, which suffered a second U.S. atomic bomb attack three days later.

On Aug. 15, 1945, Japan surrendered, ending the war.

The mayor of Nagasaki said "a precious storyteller has been lost," in a message posted on the city's Web site Wednesday. Yamaguchi died Monday morning of stomach cancer, the mass circulation Mainichi, Asahi and Yomiuri newspapers reported.

Yamaguchi was the only person to be certified by the Japanese government as having been in both cities when they were attacked, although other dual survivors have also been identified.

"My double radiation exposure is now an official government record. It can tell the younger generation the horrifying history of the atomic bombings even after I die," Yamaguchi was quoted as saying in the Mainichi newspaper last year.

In his later years, Yamaguchi gave talks about his experiences as an atomic bomb survivor and often expressed his hope that such weapons would be abolished.

He spoke at the United Nations in 2006, wrote books and songs about his experiences, and appeared in a documentary about survivors of both attacks.

Last month he was visited in the hospital by filmmaker James Cameron, director of "Titanic" and "Avatar," who is considering making a movie about the bombings, according to the Mainichi.

Immediately after the war, Yamaguchi worked as a translator for American forces in Nagasaki and later as a junior high school teacher.

Japan is the only country to have suffered atomic bomb attacks. About 140,000 people were killed in Hiroshima and 70,000 in Nagasaki.

Yamaguchi is one of about 260,000 people who survived the attacks. Some bombing survivors have developed various illnesses from radiation exposure, including cancer and liver illnesses.

Certification as an atomic bomb survivor in Japan qualifies individuals for government compensation, including monthly allowances, free medical checkups and funeral costs.

E. Body
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Korietsu View Post
    Not really a celebrity, but the only double atomic bomb survivor.
    Two posts too late, my dear friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    I thought this guy was interesting. Not a celebrity, but notable.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news...t.Bomb.Victim/

The last (only?) survivor of both Hiroshima and Nagasaki passe away.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

Not too much of a celebrity, but I thought this guy would be interesting.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34722073...s-asiapacific/

Spoiler: show
    I'm just being silly

More of my childhood has died:

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/...-of-gumby-rip/

Art Clokey, the creator of the greenish clay figure Gumby, died on Friday at his home in Los Osos, Calif. He was 88 years old. Clokey and his wife Ruth were trailblazers in stop motion clay animation.

Animation has made giant leaps forward in terms of special effects since the heyday of Gumby, a figure cut from clay and stiffened with wire. And this year was a particularly thrilling time for animation, with such movies as “Up,” “Ponyo,” “Coraline,” “Fantastic Mr. Fox” and “The Princess and the Frog.”

However, Gumby and his horse companion Pokey remind us that the true power of animation rests not in computers or gadgetry–but in stories and character. Animation is the art of bringing something to life. Gumby had character. Like The Velveteen Rabbit, that’s what made him real. He was a protean figure–springing from clay, and with the ability to change shape, which made him a kind of a superhero, the ultimate toy, and maybe a symbol to kids still firming up the outlines of their own lives. And the fact that he literally fought against squares–the Blockheads–endeared him to children who would grow up to be adult Baby Boomers and Gen Xers.

Gumby was made various ways over the years; at one point Clokey said the eyes were made from ping pong balls and the pupils from black photo paper; later, he made them from white clay discs and red beads.

Clokey was born Arthur Farrington in Detroit, and grew up making figurines out of mud. Gumby’s roots were in a short animated clay art film titled “Gumbasia” that Clokey made in 1953. “I used miniature clay forms changing shape to jazz music instead of people and regular sets, because it was a lot cheaper and faster and I could do the same thing,” Clokey reportedly once said. The character made his debut on the “Howdy-Doody Show” in the 1950s, and later appeared in a feature film, animated TV shows and a videogame.

Eddie Murphy famously sent up the character on “Saturday Night Live,” and his parody, with its catchphrase “I’m Gumby, dammit,” wasn’t an attack on the character’s innocence–it was proof of its resonance.

“Gumby is a symbol of the spark of divinity in each of us, the basis of the ultimate value of each person,” Clokey wrote in 1986. “Eddie Murphy instinctively picked up on this when he asserted, ‘I’m Gumby, dammit.’”

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

;_;

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

It was a stretch to think he'd last much longer at that age.

Eli Manning is my Lord and Savior
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Greymane

Not cool dude. That's like making a sweater joke when Mr. Rogers died.

Yea we all did it >_<

BG Level

Hey, no need to get so bent out of shape and twisted up like that. It was just a harmless tug.

Jacob Black is dead

Quote Originally Posted by Tsuko_Asura View Post
    Jacob Black is dead
    Who?

*edit* Google search later... The actor that plays Jacob Black, you mean? Taylor whatshisface?

BG Level

Hoax.

The Sig...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

You son of a bitch

Had me worried there for a minute.

You can only get away with that because your sig goes along too perfectly with that Ohemgee, lol.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast