Closed Thread
Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32
    Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

I love Nielson as much as the next guy but some of you need to get the fuck off of this comedic high horse shit, as if the genre solely rests on a handful of individuals lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinox View Post
    Dino Delaurentis died

The guy that brought us King Kong(jeff bridges version) and Army of darkness.
    And Conan the Barbarian.

Definitely a sucky end to November. Two good directors and one great comedian lost to old age.

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    Whatever happened to innovation? I mean, I know I say this like 400 times a month but come on.
    The dumber Americans are socialized into acting, the easier it is to produce what they like and hence, make money from them.

John D'Agostino died. He drew for a bunch of different comics, including the Archie characters.

Besides Jughead, D'Agostino also drew for titles like "My Little Margie," ''G.I. Joe, A Real American Hero," ''Sabrina The Teenage Witch" and "Sonic The Hedgehog," among others. D'Agostino also did the letters for the first three issues of Marvel's "The Amazing Spider-Man."
    Spoiler: show

John D'Agostino, drawer of Archie and GI Joe, dies
    (AP) – 17 hours ago

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — John D'Agostino Sr., whose work in comic books ranged from Archie and Jughead to the Incredible Hulk and G.I. Joe, among others, has died. He was 81.

D'Agostino died Sunday of bone cancer in Ansonia, Conn., publisher Archie Comics said Tuesday in a statement.

Born in Italy in 1929, D'Agostino emigrated to the United States and got his first job as head colorist at New York City's Timely Comics, the forerunner of Marvel. He worked with Stan Lee, who went on to co-create numerous memorable super-heroes, including Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four.

While working at Timely, D'Agostino — his nickname was "Jon" — helped supervise another artist, Stan Goldberg, who later become synonymous with the high school adventures of Archie, Reggie, Veronica and Betty at Riverdale High School.

D'Agostino later joined Goldberg, hired in 1965 by Archie Comics managing editor Richard Goldwater, and began a long and enduring career drawing numerous characters until his death, becoming one of the company's most prominent artists.

Besides Jughead, D'Agostino also drew for titles like "My Little Margie," ''G.I. Joe, A Real American Hero," ''Sabrina The Teenage Witch" and "Sonic The Hedgehog," among others. D'Agostino also did the letters for the first three issues of Marvel's "The Amazing Spider-Man."

"Jon was concerned about doing the best job possible. He would always be available to help young artists improve their artwork and draw the Archie cast of characters," Archie co-president and editor-in-chief Victor Gorelick said. "He was very dedicated to his work and Archie Comics. I had the privilege of working with Jon for over 40 years and considered him a good friend. I will truly miss him."

D'Agostino's latest work in comics is scheduled to be published in the December issue of "Jughead Double Digest (number)166" and several of his covers will be seen through 2011.

"He came into the offices every week to work with other artists and continued to visit the offices even in the recent weeks before his passing," Archie co-CEO Jon Goldwater said.

D'Agostino is survived by his second wife, Vivi Test D'Agostino; three sons; two sisters; four grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews. His funeral is scheduled for Thursday.

Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarman View Post
    Unfortunately you're right. Go back further and look at the dean martin roasts. Those are the TRUE masters of comedy. No toilet humor, no crass stories, just true smart humor. Now look at today's roasts; they're an abomination.
    This makes me think of the Jeff Foxworthy roast that was replayed recently and they kept saying he did his comedy without swearing or toilet humor and that he set the bar so high he fucked it up for everyone else.

And yea, when Gene Wilder and Mel Brooks pass on, comedy will pretty much be dead to me.

No Pants, No Problem
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Ron Santo passed away last night. For those uneducated in this area, he was an All-Star Third Basemen for the Chicago Cubs and Broadcaster after his Career ended. The man should be in the Hall of Fame, no questions asked, and I'm a hardcore Cardinals fan.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/ml...e=MLBHeadlines

Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Dr. Salami
    HERO OF TIME

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Selamis Bloodwood
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

A sad day for all of baseball, but especially us Cubs fans. Hopefully he gets into the Hall of Fame now, it's pathetic that he never did so in his lifetime. Every year I felt bad for the dude, I hope he makes it this year finally. =/

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Leb View Post
    The kind of people that don't like Leslie's movies are the same type who watch trash like Panty&Stocking, anything on cartoon network not including all of adult swim. Only shit like Family Guy, Tim and Eric, Steve Brul, how is shit like that funny? Serious question.

I will be the saddest person in the world when Mel Brooks dies, without a doubt. I will sit in my house all day watching Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, History of the World Part 1, Dracula Dead and Loving It(although I'm redownloading this to watch it in memory of Leslie) and Robin Hood Men in Tights.
    Uh dude, I do watch Family Guy and laugh at some episodes and I loved Leslie Nielsen's earlier stuff. Even though the later movies they put him in were terrible, he was definitely the high point of them (like Superhero Movie or Scary Movie 3/4).

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/12/...pt=T1&iref=BN1

Elizabeth Edwards, 61, dies after long struggle with cancer

By the CNN Wire Staff
    December 7, 2010 5:43 p.m. EST

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/POL...rds.afp.gi.jpg
    Elizabeth Edwards died Tuesday at the family home in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, a statement from the family said.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
    • Edwards hid the possibility she had cancer from her husband during the 2004 campaign
    • She met her future husband while they both studied law at the University of North Carolina
    • Her cancer returned in 2007
    • She died at her home, surrounded by her family

Read more on this story at CNN affiliate WRAL.
    (CNN) -- Elizabeth Edwards, the estranged wife of 2004 vice presidential candidate and former North Carolina senator John Edwards, died Tuesday after a lengthy battle with cancer. She was 61
    She died at the family home in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, according to a statement released by the family.
    "Today we have lost the comfort of Elizabeth's presence but she remains the heart of this family," the statement said. "We love her and will never know anyone more inspiring or full of life."
    Edwards was diagnosed with breast cancer shortly after her husband lost his bid for vice president in November 2004. John Edwards, a one-term Democratic senator, was Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry's running mate.
    It was later revealed that she knew before the election she might have cancer, but shielded her husband from the news during the campaign. She immediately underwent treatment, and the cancer was believed to be in remission.
    In March 2007 -- at the start her husband's 2008 presidential campaign -- Edwards learned that the cancer had returned and spread.
    Dr. Lisa Carey, the oncologist treating Edwards, categorized the cancer as metastatic stage four cancer, largely confined to the bones.
    The cancer was diagnosed treatable but not curable, Edwards said.
    Despite the diagnosis, Edwards said she was ready to go forward with her husband's bid for the White House.
    "Either you push forward with the things that you were doing yesterday or you start dying," she said. "If I had given up everything that my life was about ... I'd let cancer win before it needed to."
    "Maybe eventually it will win," she said. "But I'd let it win before I needed to."
    John Edwards, unable to compete with the attention focused on then-Sens. Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, withdrew from the presidential race in January 2008.
    Several months later, he admitted that tabloid claims about an extramarital affair with former campaign videographer Rielle Hunter were true. Eventually, he also admitted to fathering a child with Hunter -- an allegation he initially vociferously denied even after conceding the affair.
    John Edwards said the affair happened in 2006 while his wife's cancer was in remission. He claimed he informed his wife at the time and asked for her forgiveness.
    The couple was criticized by some activists for not revealing the affair prior to his presidential bid, as the news could have damaged Democratic chances if it became publicly known during a general election campaign in which John Edwards was the party's standard bearer.
    "This was our private matter, and I frankly wanted it to be private because as painful as it was I did not want to have to play it out on a public stage as well," Elizabeth Edwards said.
    The affair appeared to end any future political ambitions the former senator may have had. It also led to the couple's separation.
    Elizabeth Edwards was born Mary Elizabeth Anania on July 3, 1949, in Jacksonville, Florida. Her father was a Navy pilot, and in her early years, she attended school in Japan.
    She attended the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, and met her future husband while studying at UNC's law school.
    They spent their first date dancing at a local Holiday Inn, and it ended with John kissing Elizabeth on the forehead.
    "It was just really sweet," she said of the kiss. "I wasn't used to men being sweet."
    The couple was married July 30, 1977, the Saturday after they took their state bar exams. They had four children: Wade, Cate, Emma Claire, and Jack. Wade Edwards was killed in a car accident in 1996.
    Mrs. Edwards worked as a clerk for U.S. District Judge Calvitt Clarke Jr. in Norfolk, Virginia, and was a bankruptcy lawyer in Raleigh.
    In 2006, after her initial cancer diagnosis, she wrote "Saving Graces: Finding Solace and Strength from Friends and Strangers," which chronicled the aftermath of her son's death and her battle with the disease.
    When her cancer returned in 2007, the couple held a news conference to publicize the information and declare their intention to continue with John Edwards' campaign.
    "You can go cower in the corner and hide or you can go out there and stand up for what you believe in," the former senator said. "We have no intentions of cowering in the corner."
    In an interview with the Detroit Free Press after her husband admitted to his affair, Elizabeth Edwards said the incident helped her focus on resuming her role as an advocate for the poor and for health care reform. She also said it pushed her to refocus on her role as a mother.
    She also said she did not want her husband's tarnished public image to overshadow his role as an advocate for the poor -- particularly in the eyes of her children.
    "I have to prepare for the possibility if I die before they are grown" to make them "able to function without an involved, engaged and admiring parent," she said. "So I need to create the picture for them that I want them to have."
    She said living with stage four cancer "is like dancing with a partner who keeps changing."
    "Fortunately with the research, it looks like there may be a new drug for me down the line," she said. "My job is to stay alive until they find a cure. I don't think there's any way to live with this diagnosis than to have that kind of optimism."
    On Monday, the Edwards family released a statement saying that further cancer treatment would be unproductive.
    In a message posted on her Facebook page, Elizabeth Edwards addressed her family and friends:
    "The days of our lives, for all of us, are numbered. We know that. And, yes, there are certainly times when we aren't able to muster as much strength and patience as we would like. It's called being human," she wrote.
    "But I have found that in the simple act of living with hope, and in the daily effort to have a positive impact in the world, the days I do have are made all the more meaningful and precious. And for that I am grateful. It isn't possible to put into words the love and gratitude I feel to everyone who has and continues to support and inspire me every day. To you I simply say: you know."

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Very sad about her passing.. They only announced yesterday that her cancer had metastasized in her liver.. I expected it would come soon but not this soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Alderaan View Post
    I'm disgusted that there's people our there that haven't seen any movies from these 3 masters.
    Don't forget Harvey Korman. Shame he's dead too. I had my wife watch blazing saddles with me other night and she thought it was hilarious. (thank god I might have to divorce her otherwise) She liked history of the world too.

[Bart, disguised as a Klansman, describes his qualifications as a villain]
    Bart: Stampeding cattle.
    Hedley Lamarr: That's not much of a crime.
    Bart: Through the Vatican?
    Hedley Lamarr: [smiling] Kinkyyyy. Sign here.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...121603841.html
    Blake Edwards, a prolific filmmaker who kept alive the tradition of slapstick comedy in his Pink Panther franchise and nimbly showcased his dramatic range with "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and "Days of Wine and Roses," died Dec. 15 of pneumonia at a hospital in Santa Monica, Calif. He was 88.

In a six-decade career that rejected easy categorization, Mr. Edwards received an honorary Academy Award in 2004 for "writing, directing and producing an extraordinary body of work."

Some of his best-known films included the sophisticated romance "Breakfast at Tiffany's" (1961) with Audrey Hepburn, the bleak story of a couple in an alcoholic spiral in "Days of Wine and Roses" (1962) starring Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick, and the taut manhunt story "Experiment in Terror" (1962) with Remick and Glenn Ford.

There also was "10" (1979), featuring Dudley Moore as a pop composer going through male menopause and Bo Derek as the object of his fantasies; "S.O.B." (1981), a scathing portrait of Hollywood personalities; and "Victor/Victoria" (1982), a cross-dressing farce starring Mr. Edwards's real-life wife, Julie Andrews.

Captain Beefheart just died.

American musician and painter Don Van Vliet, best known by the stage name Captain Beefheart, has died aged 69.

Van Vliet's death in California, from complications from multiple sclerosis, was announced by the Michael Werner Gallery in New York.

Van Vliet was "one of the most original recording artists of his time", the gallery said in a statement.

He rose to fame in the 1960s with a unique style of blues-inspired rock & roll, later devoting himself to art.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12024652

Closed Thread
Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32