+ Reply to Thread

BG LEGAL HALP So my roommate is in jail

Just found out he was in jail from his parents and I looked up his name through arrest records and I don't see him on it. Anyway I was wondering can they put anyone they want on the lease to take his spot or do they have to get the OK by us? Im pretty sure they'd have to OK it by us if they wanted to make a change in the lease but would they have to if they just decided to put someone in and claim legal liability for whomever?

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by LinktheDeme View Post
    Just found out he was in jail from his parents and I looked up his name through arrest records and I don't see him on it. Anyway I was wondering can they put anyone they want on the lease to take his spot or do they have to get the OK by us? Im pretty sure they'd have to OK it by us if they wanted to make a change in the lease but would they have to if they just decided to put someone in and claim legal liability for whomever?
    All that would be in the lease paperwork, as the contract could vary.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by FNH View Post
    All that would be in the lease paperwork, as the contract could vary.
    Agreed. They will normally have some clause in there on how to deal with a person no longer available to get off the lease through normal channels, whether it be jail, disappearance, comatose, or dead.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Well, if it's a "normal" lease, the responsibility for the rent falls onto whoever co-signed his portion of the lease. If he had no co-signer, than you are on the hook for paying all the rent or finding a sub-lessee. Otherwise, if it was his parents who co-signed, they can sub-let to anyone they want without your approval.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Arnwulf View Post
    Well, if it's a "normal" lease, the responsibility for the rent falls onto whoever co-signed his portion of the lease. If he had no co-signer, than you are on the hook for paying all the rent or finding a sub-lessee. Otherwise, if it was his parents who co-signed, they can sub-let to anyone they want without your approval.
    Note that also generally, if you Sublease you will have to run the person by the people you lease from for approval as well.