+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Ridill
    BG Level

2010 State of the Union: Best Vice Presidential necktie in history.

So... I'm surprised this doesn't have a thread up yet... SotU was last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1PWQtCDaYY

What did everyone think? It was about as I expected, with some highlights. The calling out of the Supreme Court is definitely something that's never happened in a SotU before.

I thought he did a so-so job of calling out the republicans, particularly in the senate. I definitely thought the whole thing could have focused more on the fact that they're refusing to actually do their jobs for the sake of simply keeping their jobs.

I won't be surprised though if next year's or the year after he actually brings up term limits, if things keep going like this.

I hate to see health care so up in the air like this. The reason I thought he'd wait is because it basically has to be the #1 priority for a long time in order to bring real (read: universal coverage) change, and I think while it's important to not make everything hinge on it, not even talking about it in the entire first half shows a serious lack of commitment more than the "this isn't everything, but it's still major" message he seemed to be going for.

Most importantly, Biden wore a bright purple metallic shiny necktie.

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

blurple is bipartisan yo

Ridill
    BG Level

Oh yeah, here's a transcript:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2010..._the_unio.html

And here's the "official" republican response:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeSLVnAQSYo

actually haven't finished watching response, going to do that now

Demosthenes11

what reason was there to call out the republicans? they honestly cant be blamed or credited for anything in the last year

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Holding one of these "response" speeches from the floor of a State Senate chamber while it was in session was pretty fucking tacky. What's wrong with doing it at the governor's mansion like Bobby Jindal did last year?

AFAIK it was also the first time -anyone- used that kind of venue, so don't get all pissy saying "you wouldn't object is a librul did it" because I damn sure would.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Probably did it because of the onslaught of comedic criticism in relation to Jindal's response last year. Can't really blame them. This seemed more genuine instead of sounding like a tool the way Jindal did.

Black Belt
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes11 View Post
    what reason was there to call out the republicans? they honestly cant be blamed or credited for anything in the last year
    yeah aside from blocking or attempting to block every single piece of legislation.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I'd love to see him do a speech without a teleprompter. Oh wait he can't my bad.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by wipers View Post
    I'd love to see him do a speech without a teleprompter. Oh wait he can't my bad.
    I'd love to see a President give a speech without it printed right in front of them amirite!1@1!!!

Who gives a shit about this irrelevant nonsense. There's more important things to worry about.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Why don't you give any politician a demonstration on how to do that... All the things there are to possibly criticize and you pick this? You're really a shitty troll.

BG Level

Retarded people even waste time to point out stupid shit like that.

Demosthenes11

Quote Originally Posted by Beckwin View Post
    yeah aside from blocking or attempting to block every single piece of legislation.
    lol you say this like it's
    a) a big surprise
    b) they haven't been doing this forever
    c) democrats dont do the same thing in their position

honestly they get voted in to be republicans and therefore try and pass republican legislation. you can't be mad at them for trying to block democratic legislation because it's what their job is. democrats need to do a better job and he should be calling them out

can you measure an hour long speech in 2 days while dealing with 398092384092 other things? get out

Demosthenes11

Quote Originally Posted by Olo401 View Post
    Why don't you give any politician a demonstration on how to do that... All the things there are to possibly criticize and you pick this? You're really a shitty troll.
    alright this has got to end. you can't call someone a shitty troll with a response like that. if he is a troll you just gave him what he wanted, therefore he is a good troll. see this way too much in these political threads

a troll is not someone you disagree with

Black Belt
    BG Level

did the democrats do the same under bush? nope. if anything, they should've in a few cases. but they certainly weren't obstructionists like the GOP

I thought the presidention State of the Union Address was the best one i have seen yet. The president did a lot of ballzy things in the address. He called out the supreme court, and the chief justice actualy reacted instead of remaining motionless. The look on the military brasses face when he said he wanted to remove the restriction on gays in the military was priceless. And there were other comical moments spread out through the speech.

All in all it was the most entertaining speech in a while. But, dont get me confused. It wasnt done in a tacky way. I really liked it.

I liked how he called out the republicans in the senate for providing a unified front trying to deny every single peice of legislation that comes their way. Every single thing, to the point where a supermajority was needed to get anything done at all.

Most importantly, i love how powerful this presidents veto is. It will surely be a pain in the ass to muster up enough votes to over come his veto. Him saying that he will veto halfassed bills, and send them back until they manage to bering bills with meaningfull substance was awesome.

His tone, and delivery were strong. This was the president i voted for, not the one i have been seeing in the past 6 months.

PS i too have been wondering why no state of theunion thread was made yet. LOL i went to the PC, expecting to see one i could comment on when the president was finished.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

lol. Its that or have Bush stumbling while trying to read from a folded piece of paper amirite? If you watch the commercials with Dubya and Clinton pleading for help for Haiti you can see why they never allowed him near moving words, he has this "OMG MUST FOCUS" look of distress on his face for 30 straight seconds that just looks terrible.

Every Presidents uses speech writers, papers and other forms of media when addressing the nation or the house, I just think its funny how a majority of people go on forever about a teleprompter lol. Just like how no one writes anymore, everyone texts or emails, times change. I am pissed at him at the moment but I'd like to bury this horse at some point.

I wonder how many times Rush has brought the teleprompter issue up just this morning alone?

Mr. Anna Kendrick
    BGs Worst Golde Abuser

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Charles Barkley
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I thought Bush should have had his zealot, evangelical, stubborn, retarded ass drug out in the street and dealt with Robespierre style, but even I didn't think any less of him for using a teleprompter. Memorizing a SotU length speech written no more than a week in advance by someone else when you're trying to lead the free world? Yeah right.

Thought the speech's message/direction was good, but should've been more emphatic. He was right to criticize the justices and the partisan bullshit, but should've hammered the point home even more enthusiastically. Yell, lose your cool, pound your fist. Its unacceptable how crooked Congress has become, and its ground to a halt almost all attempts at improving the lives of the Americans they are there to serve.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    Note at the bottom of his speech: "P.S. Fuck NASA."

Why do you keep reopening my wounds? QQ

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

We should all write speeches by candle light and with a quill. That's how real bosses write speeches.

sorry for the double post, but you need to keep in mind that president bush loved three things.

The first was signing statements. Some of the bills that made their way to the presidential office were rather decent. But, the president came by and interpreted what he believed the bill to say before signing it. Its a great tool for deballing anything the president doesnt like in a bill.

Secondly, it wasnt until the end of bush's second term that the democrats were able to muster enough votes to overcome the presidential veto.

The democrats threatened to fillibuster, but to my recollection, they never did. There was a big stink raised by the republicans about it... but they never followed through on the threat.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast