1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 1 hours, 49 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 22 hours, 10 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 18 hours, 49 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 15 hours, 10 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
    New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I'm looking forward to FFXIV because:
    -I liked FFXI
    -I like how they seem to be going towards a more casual approach; I couldn't ever do NMs/Merits in FFXI due to college
    -It seems more fun
    -It looks like it wont be another WoW clone...thank lawd.
    -I need something to fill my free time on weekdays
    -I'm a sucker for character customization
    -It looks pretty

so i herd u liek trollin
    BG Level

Simple answer: Looking forward to the "new" feeling. Knowing that everyone is in the same boat as me. Figuring out mechanics, and actually being surprised at new content, and not disappointed.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I'm looking forward to that Fallout 3-esque massive draw distance. Hello mountain ranges!

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Originally Posted by Kawfee
    "To echo some above posters, FFXI was a unique situation in video games for me where meaningful connections with friends whom I've never seen irl were formed. As FFXI has been winding down, I've started to lose touch with many of them as there's not really a easy way to keep it up without logging into FFXI.

Now that FFXIV is starting up, it gives me a new medium to maintain those friendships and hopefully forge new ones."

I quoted that because this statement lies very true to me. I am ready to play again with the same people and new ones that will fall in love with FFXIV. There is alot of people that hop from mmo to mmo (i dont disclude myself as i tryed wow) and try to figure out which is best and we can always see comparisons from one to the other. The general consensus from my personal searching seems to be that you PLAY WHAT YOU LIKE plain and simple. There is no such thing as the perfect MMO because we all differ in opinion on certain aspects of the game.

I loved FFXI for a long time (5years on and off). I thought that the game was just about right on soo many levels. I thought to try other MMOs and even dabbled in a couple but after i started i would realize that all of them have their own problems and the problems i would rather deal with most were in ffxi ...even though they had some of the worst. Now my rationalization behind this was that I love other aspects of the game soo much that i didnt care about GS/RMT, BOTS, GMs that never did a thing, ect. I just enjoyed the game as i stated before PLAIN AND SIMPLE, i liked the way things were going in FFXI but it is now outdated and needs to be made new ...i think i missed out for a bit when i quit and it never seemed to be quite the same when i came back .......all except for one thing the COMMUNITY! I came back and i saw faces i hadn't seen in 2 years (they greeted me like i never left) and met new faces again that i became friends with like the first time i played FFXI ...this is what makes me look forward to FFXIV the most.

If there was anything I could truly put a finger on that SE did get right the first time around it was sense of community. It gave you pointers on people if they formed a good or bad reputation, You knew from experience and friends you met who you enjoyed partying with and who was a great player even if they didn't run in your Linkshell/guild.....i guess what i am really trying to get across is that i am looking forward mostly to play FFXIV with all of YOU! it will be great times again and hopefully we don't need to fuck with Aery 2.0, but we can still see competition like DA in this next installment ~ FFXIV (w/o bots!!! pipe dream maybe hahahahaha)

see you in Eorzea

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Story, always enjoyed Cop missions. Was a reward for the first handful of us, to be the only people with sea access.

Gear in FFXI was never handed out, i.e I play wow now so that's been Blizzard approach to settling the masses. The gear made you stand out from the other guys.

Character with class options. I generally don't enjoy getting stuck in a class, just one role. I always enjoyed FF because you could be whatever you were needed as, not just 1 slot in a party that needed to be filled.

aduidarnenye

I'm looking forward to FF14 for many reasons.

First, I really enjoy the Final Fantasy titles. I remember playing a rented copy of Final Fantasy 4 (I think) on the Super Nintendo when I was 13 years old. I was hooked immediately. I played all of the titles I could get my hands on. I really like the story telling and the artwork.

Second, I really like online gaming. I've been playing online games since 1995. I used to play MUDs. I enjoy completing tasks in the game and I enjoy the communities involved (even when I hate them). Each new "world" I venture into is exciting, unique, and fun (well, most are and for a while at least).

Third, I really like how FF11 was completely different from the other MMOs out there. The game is like the odd man out when it comes to the genre. It looks and feels and plays different than WoW, AION, Star Trek Online, EVE, Warhammer, etc, etc. It's the little things, like not having to use my mouse to play. I can get treasure without having to click a box on the screen. My inventory is in a list rather than those ugly boxes. The character models are scaled properly to the landscape and architecture rather than having the surroundings massively oversized to the players. The UI, even with it's problems, is simple (I like the FF11 chat log a lot more than other games). I like having to work with other people to complete tasks (I really dislike the trend towards "casual gaming" that leaves MMOs almost completely soloable). Even though I have issues with the way the developers treat the players, I still basically like the way FF11 is unique in the ever blander world of MMOs.

I am really hoping that all of these things will translate into FF14. I'm really looking forward to this game and even though I just started Star Trek Online I won't mind maxing out my character there and selling it the moment I get into beta (which surely I will!).

didnt they say that they were focusing FFXIV on smaller group play for most things. Of course they will have the big fights where youll need an 'alliance' of heros. But, i remember reading, somewhere, that they were looking at making groups of 3-4 people for most things.

In FFXI we had groups of 6 people for most things.

If they stick with that idea, they run the risk of overpowered character classes. Indeed the mechanics used in ffxi would not translate into FFXIV as i am expecting more powerful character classes. They would have to be more powerful if they are focusing a great deal of the game on smaller group play. Not, to mention that it would take less effort to gather 3-4 people than 5-6 people.

While I do not want a 'soloable' mmo, as i seems to miss the entire point of playing an mmo, I am looking forward to working in smaller groups. Its one of the funner things for me to do in ffxi anyhow.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Bands of 3-4 people seems like a nice fit for most basic events. Remember that many Nation missions were easily completable with a group of 3-4, its just that for just about anything else, you needed 6, even when xping. I think they've learned from it, and learned that while there absolutely is a place for massive, large scale battles (no MMO is a MMO without it, in my opinion), but there is also a place for a band of two players to play, a group of 3, or a pack of 4.

I'm looking forward to the grouping. 3-6 sounds perfect for me.

Vacht

its really disconcerting... to realize that speculation is only speculation. When FFXI was on its way to gold, I remember the speculation of that game got me so hopeful, and then i realized so many bad things.

it sounds like SE is addressing most of our concerns.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vega Castro
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Looking forward to cap the game within 2 months of time like most mmo's i play and then being bored until an expansion/new gear come out while hearing casual people whine about the grind/difficulty of shit that tend to be not so difficult. Wall-o-text.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Elites View Post
    Looking forward to cap the game within 2 months of time like most mmo's i play and then being bored until an expansion/new gear come out while hearing casual people whine about the grind/difficulty of shit that tend to be not so difficult. Wall-o-text.
    You obviously didn't play FFXI from release, lol and if you did get your char to cap in 2 months when it released i'd have to see it to believe you ...this is SE we are talkin of not Blizzard or NCsoft ......but if you can get to cap from the start of this game in 2 months .... i see some fail there.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zettai Ryouiki
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Eyedea-Seraph View Post
    You obviously didn't play FFXI from release, lol and if you did get your char to cap in 2 months when it released i'd have to see it to believe you ...this is SE we are talkin of not Blizzard or NCsoft ......but if you can get to cap from the start of this game in 2 months .... i see some fail there.
    He obviously got help from his lv75 JP friends.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Eyedea-Seraph View Post
    Its funny you say that, because I imported day one of Japanese PC release. And Elites was there ;p I'm fairly certain he wasn't referring to FFXI in that statement. The beginning was a major fucking grind, staring in awe at people Iron Musketeer's before AF was released and taking multiple alliances of 30s through Oztroja trying to do whatever mission it was there.

Which, by the way, all of the above is why I'm looking forward to 14~

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

BEcause of regional restrictions, I don't believe importing a japanese copy of FFXI would allow you to register in here in NA. I imported mine from Japanese not knowing this (which was FTL) on my part. Software is one thing, registering for an account could be another. Square tech. explicitly required.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Well, like plenty of people, my interest in FFXIV stems from my original attachment to FFXI. But I think this revolves mostly around the fact that while FFXI was a pretty flawed game and there was plenty to bitch about, it was a good experience overall. I think FFXI offered a considerably DIFFERENT type of interface, gameplay, and lore than the typical Korean-made or American-made MMOs. Execution aside, I think the style of the game was just a nice change, and that's what I'm hoping to get out of FFXIV (with plenty of improvements, of course).

Vacht

Quote Originally Posted by Celeras View Post
    Its funny you say that, because I imported day one of Japanese PC release. And Elites was there ;p I'm fairly certain he wasn't referring to FFXI in that statement. The beginning was a major fucking grind, staring in awe at people Iron Musketeer's before AF was released and taking multiple alliances of 30s through Oztroja trying to do whatever mission it was there.

Which, by the way, all of the above is why I'm looking forward to 14~
    i remember running that mission! Wasnt it 5-1? the... materia? I forget what it was called, but you had to collect between 3 and 5 pieces of it from beastmen cities. Good times.

Sea horror really lived up to its name back then, since none of us had airship access.

I am really hoping that the same newb-fun will apply to this game. Like when you first got to terrigan and youre like "wtf... valkurm dunes?!?!?!?!?!"

One thing im really looking forward to is sneak without a timer. I really effing hope we atleast get gear to enhance the longevity of the spell.

I always thought thieves should have sneak as an ability to use with a low refresh. But unlike wow or DAoC, you would stay visible. Or maybe partially visible?

I cant wait to see how they made the new thief... or dagger class.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Psxpert View Post
    BEcause of regional restrictions, I don't believe importing a japanese copy of FFXI would allow you to register in here in NA. I imported mine from Japanese not knowing this (which was FTL) on my part. Software is one thing, registering for an account could be another. Square tech. explicitly required.
    It was a complicated process which required you to fake a japanese address, there were guides on ffxionline at the time. Which is why so many importers lost their original accounts if they came across a payment issues, as bills were sent to said fake address.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Vacht View Post
    i remember running that mission! Wasnt it 5-1? the... materia? I forget what it was called, but you had to collect between 3 and 5 pieces of it from beastmen cities. Good times.

Sea horror really lived up to its name back then, since none of us had airship access.

I am really hoping that the same newb-fun will apply to this game. Like when you first got to terrigan and youre like "wtf... valkurm dunes?!?!?!?!?!"

One thing im really looking forward to is sneak without a timer. I really effing hope we atleast get gear to enhance the longevity of the spell.

I always thought thieves should have sneak as an ability to use with a low refresh. But unlike wow or DAoC, you would stay visible. Or maybe partially visible?

I cant wait to see how they made the new thief... or dagger class.
    I think the materia shit was called magicite. Fuck, I feel old.

But yeah, I also loved the distinct feel that the beginning of the game gave (exploring Windurst and all the new areas, finally reaching a new area, etc.) before you got to know all the ins and outs of the game.

I just hope they dont add any of that going into the past shit like they did in WOTG. Really disliked the whole process of going back and forth.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast