1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 0 hours, 44 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 23 hours, 15 minutes
    Last weekly reset was -7 hours, -16 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 6 days, 16 hours, 15 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
    Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Eyedea-Seraph View Post
    You obviously didn't play FFXI from release, lol and if you did get your char to cap in 2 months when it released i'd have to see it to believe you ...this is SE we are talkin of not Blizzard or NCsoft ......but if you can get to cap from the start of this game in 2 months .... i see some fail there.
    Only reason this existed for us is because it was released to NA's so far after it was released in JP. Pretty sure originally all you had was a grind to 50 at the first launch of FFXI, which was entirely doable if you lived and breathed the game for two months.

SE is a good company, but thinking they're so far above and beyond Blizzard and NCSoft is laughable.

As for what I'm looking forward to? Hopefully a game with the FF feel but not the FFXI gameplay feel.

everyone on these forums should go to one server so we can have a server of awesome people.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Looking forward to the elimination of the "small numbers" formula. Although it made skilling up easier, beating on a crab for 3min solo and then having to rest for 1min is silly.

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Meteora View Post
    Eh, I and a bunch of my friends don't care for it. FFXI is the first and last MMO I play... Tried Aion because a friend asked me (four of my friends and I started back w/ FFXI). Anyway, took longer to install than to unistall.

Don't care about the jobs, combat, content, etc. etc.
    This is why are you looking forward to FFXIV, not why are you not going to play, cmon son.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Boom View Post
    That and the original /sit
    mmm
    You and me both, friend. So many good times in unexpected places.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

is it just me or the FF14 gameplay footage looks very very similar to white knight chronicles battle system?

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lythandies Demeris
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Wyrmrest Accord

The good: Community high points (<3 amentis). Best Art direction. Sense of accomplishment. Sense of mystery surrounding Vana'del.

The bad: Silent Devs, Bad U/I game pairing (6 line macros no window mode for 5 years loolololol have fun hitting 4 macros for one spell), job/gear stagnation (we are all level 60 and trying to beat an'quraji still in WoW terms), 2 friends + 3 tards syndrome (Just get the gimp DRK for our sixth dd).

Playing wow for a few months lets me see where FFXI went right and where it went so very, very wrong. It's not 'pandering to newbs' to give people a baseline armor to enter endgame with: I really wish FFXI gave every job GOOD af that would be passible level 75 gear (instead of forcing you to quest 2-3 useless peices to get the macro gear)

Also, playing through the vanilla areas to the WoTLK characters gives you a sense of progression with how much improvement the developers had, whereas aspects of CoP seemed backwards ass, and WOTG was reskinned garbage. The only hope I have that they learned anything is that ff12 was FFXI: fun mode.

Also, FFXI suffers from 'weak' syndrome: your individual character is pathetic in most situations. I never felt very elite, cool armor or not, because basic enemies crumpled me or took five minutes to kill. Part of the fun of an RPG style game is development. Not just 'I can swap to 5 different roles' but also 'What was once hard I can now crush.' This is related to progression since gear plays a factor, but also to the fact that your abilities in FFXI never really get much stronger and most of them have such high CDs that your left waiting on your options rather then deciding which ones to use. I recall being half asleep on my red mage for most events that I wasn't leading because even the most 'busy' of jobs had huge gaps in imput or thought.

I want the core of FF14 to be party play still, but compact: a group of 2-3 people should be enough to do 90% of non-endgame events/exp/farming/NMs/exploration. Round out jobs so they can do their focus but also in a pinch do a little of everything: Hyper focusing meant that if you picked the 'wrong' job you'd be left out in the cold (hey beastmasters!). I'd like for there to be some group exploration, and for the game to reward people who explore more then '1-2 NMs who drop shitty boots with +5 water defence'

FFXI was good when it was you and a couple of friends getting shit done and making some decent exp/loot off whatever it was on the side. It was fun when you 3 manned a BC. It was lame waiting for 3 more to do some 18 man 2 hour check. It was super weak ass shit when you spent 4 hours on an event that didn't even drop anything you needed (rdm in dynamis windy). It was a triple-hitler when you had to earn back a 75. When I played It boiled down to 6 people I really really liked playing with and 12 people who seemed to be retarded.

Oh yeah last thing: Make sure your story makes sense. CoP had some cool scenes but I hardly understand why anything happens for some missions. As a writer I can kinda fill in the blanks as to what they are going for but it's choppy. Ironically, Zilart made pretty good sense when I ran through it. Just keep it snappy: Event happens, NPC says what needs to be done, mission to do it. I liked CoP missions because some of the characters were cool and it was a trial by fire but to this day some of the stuff makes no sense and they definately didn't build up some of the bosses you faced: Why is that snoll the tzar? Who were the dead guys in the sancarium that you fight? Why is this random cult of moblins important at all?

WoW has a big advantage due to having games previous to build off of, but even bit NPCs and Bosses often have quests that lead up to fighting them: sometimes THEY give you the quests that lead up to fighting them. FFXI has a less goofy story then WoW but WoW tells it's goofy story waaay better.

I guess I forgot to say: "I'll try FF14 for a week to see if any of this shit is fixed"

Vacht

Quote Originally Posted by Alderaan View Post
    I think the art of exploration has been lost on most players. It's going to be who can get to cap the fastest, to farm loot, to sell said loot, to fund "relics", to rmt the fuck out of it. It's turned into a fucking business. I'm hoping that whatever system SE implements, that this sort of nonsense has no place in it.

I want a world, not a business.

It sounds like you fell into the wrong crowd or developed a bad perception of the game. Im not sure why people continue to play games if they are as miserable as they make themslves out to be. Granted SE can be incorrigible sometimes, which is frustrating.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Never could get over the people who bash FFXI like they do. I played FFXI for 5yrs and never did much of endgame at all, killed Fafnir and Nidhogg once, did dynamis like twice, etc. etc. and had a fucking blast with the game. SE never bothered me with their actions, they just don't care, its their game, fucking cry about AV more w/e they don't care that's what makes AV so epic. The music and zones in FFXI were so rich and the drive they put on the player base is what made FFXI such a good MMO. I hope SE will put out the same kind of game and not buckle down to the demands of people who just cant stand the game THEY play.

FFXI had plenty of problems but SE fixed A LOT of shit, and banned a lot of people lolol. FFXI was just fine and I am really glad all these people "who will never play another MMO made by SE" wont be there.

On topic I am looking forward to the music and group play in FFXIV.

Vacht

Quote Originally Posted by Chezo View Post
    Never could get over the people who bash FFXI like they do. I played FFXI for 5yrs and never did much of endgame at all, killed Fafnir and Nidhogg once, did dynamis like twice, etc. etc. and had a fucking blast with the game. SE never bothered me with their actions, they just don't care, its their game, fucking cry about AV more w/e they don't care that's what makes AV so epic. The music and zones in FFXI were so rich and the drive they put on the player base is what made FFXI such a good MMO. I hope SE will put out the same kind of game and not buckle down to the demands of people who just cant stand the game THEY play.

FFXI had plenty of problems but SE fixed A LOT of shit, and banned a lot of people lolol. FFXI was just fine and I am really glad all these people "who will never play another MMO made by SE" wont be there.

AMEN.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Chezo View Post

You must like whitegate music a lot more than I do.

Zone are rich? Sure. If you are the kind of person who can get entertained 900 hours without any change of scenary, they are rich. As much as I enjoy exploration, no zone or content will ever last the full duration of a mmo.

New Odin
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia View Post
    You must like whitegate music a lot more than I do.

Zone are rich? Sure. If you are the kind of person who can get entertained 900 hours without any change of scenary, they are rich. As much as I enjoy exploration, no zone or content will ever last the full duration of a mmo.
    Or maybe he's smart enough to quit when you hear whitegate music more than any other? I know, zomg.

Depends what you consider "full duration of an mmo". Cut off the "sitting in wg doing nothing" part and yes, they'll last until the end. If you're dumb enough to not quit after that, don't come out and call bs on anyone else's experience that is better than yours afterwards.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

He said he played 5 years and hasnt done much endgame. Unless he was living with crab and collibris, I'm willing to put my money that he did hear whitegate music a lot while chating in the linkshell.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post
    Or maybe he's smart enough to quit when you hear whitegate music more than any other? I know, zomg.

Depends what you consider "full duration of an mmo". Cut off the "sitting in wg doing nothing" part and yes, they'll last until the end. If you're dumb enough to not quit after that, don't come out and call bs on anyone else's experience that is better than yours afterwards.
    There are plenty of people that will sit around for two months in whitegate waiting for the next patch so they can clear the new missions in a day and sit back to waiting Lots of people did that, I know I did...

I mean to me the best thing about WotG was setting my home point to Bastok of times past and getting new music while I afk'd!

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Tavnazian Safehold is where I would sit, <3 that music, never went to WG unless I needed too

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia View Post
    He said he played 5 years and hasnt done much endgame. Unless he was living with crab and collibris, I'm willing to put my money that he did hear whitegate music a lot while chating in the linkshell.
    FFXI has tons of non-endgame content, most people just don't look for it though.
    I'd say there's far more non-endgame content than endgame content. I'm sure he did just fine without sitting around town all day.

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Looking forward to playing with my good friends Chari, Miz and Mana again, sever cannot contain that much awesome.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Domon Kasshu View Post
    FFXI has tons of non-endgame content, most people just don't look for it though.
    I'd say there's far more non-endgame content than endgame content. I'm sure he did just fine without sitting around town all day.
    What, breeding/racing chocobos, leveling NPC, camping NMs, doing pankration, fishing, crafting/HELM, Assault, MMM, xxNMs, Besieged, Campaign, Meriting, leveling alt jobs, quests, missions, Ballista/Brenner (lol), chocobo digging, etc.

That is off the top of my head. However the value of alot of that content is very different to most players. Alot of it is the kind of shit people did when it was new and quickly got sick of, or did it just because they have no self control and feel the need to complete shit out even when they hate it and its like a job to them. I personally didnt think breeding or raising a chocobo was fun in anyway, nor did I think pankration was either. Dont get me wrong, I dont care that it "has no rewards!!!". I just think the way it is designed is not actually fun in the slightest. If I want to battle monsters (not likely) I'll play pokemon. If I want to breed or race shit I will play mario kart, monster hunter, or some other shit. PVP is somewhat fun but I can understand why people who like pvp in other games dont like ffxi, since its pretty much pointless on certain jobs.

Yes, there are people who actually like some of it, or at least will claim vehemently so.

Besieged/Campaign are just things to kill time when you want some xp/an/is and they are handy to do. Meriting is the post 75 progression versus increasing level cap. Like some other things on the list or not on the list, its arguable what content it falls under. I consider it just more leveling to hit your peak "for" endgame. Others may see it differently. I think besieged and campaign were good additions, I think meriting would have been better if designed somewhat differently. Mindlessly grinding colibris is really not exciting, the main reason people are picky about xp/hr for merits, since they just want to get it done and do other things.

For myself I think ffxi had plenty of content that I enoyed doing and I liked that I didnt feel the need to grind out a chocobo, or race one, or do pokemon, or pvp, to get something I needed for other areas of the game. I'm the type of player who likes to bullshit with friends while doing events that I like doing for rewards that were useful in continuing that cycle. I only had brief spells that I think I played the game excessively, and I think its only the players who play excessively who ran out or will run out of content quickly.

Basically I guess my point is ffxi had plenty of content and for the most part, I think the majority of the player base still has things to do even without constant updates. I didnt like everything in the game but like I said, i'm glad alot of it was totally seperate and didnt cause people to feel they needed to do it so they could perform better in parts of the game they enjoy more. The first mmo I played was Ultima Online, the developers were more interested in the concept of making a game where people would rp, and live in a virtual community where they could be tailors and cooks, not just priests and warriors and shit. Over time of course they changed how the game worked, but I think every mmo since has been a step in the wrong direction. How many people who ended up camping hnm hardcore as fuck, and draining all other endgame content out off ffxi, started out just wanting to explore new areas, do quests and missions, fight dragons etc, and be able to do it all with irl friends or new friends met online?

Bottom line is I enjoyed ffxi but until a company can make an mmo that actually can keep that original spirit alive and not end up turning it into a farm/grind/spam fest, then every mmo will just be different shades of the same exact thing.

Maybe ffxiv will be able to break the mold. I'm not counting on it though.

Sorry for excessive length.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Alderaan View Post
    I think the art of exploration has been lost on most players. It's going to be who can get to cap the fastest, to farm loot, to sell said loot, to fund "relics", to rmt the fuck out of it. It's turned into a fucking business. I'm hoping that whatever system SE implements, that this sort of nonsense has no place in it.

I want a world, not a business.
    Would be nice if the game you describe could be made. Unfortunately, that can't happen with humans involved.

I'm looking forward to trying to do the above, and keepin tabs on dem mithras...

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

im looking forward to all my friends playing final fantasy again MAYBE LANNING AGAIN lawl

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast