1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 23 hours, 42 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 0 hours, 17 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 16 hours, 42 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 17 hours, 17 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26
    Packin more heat than spicy
    8=====>

BG Level

I loved BST, despite it taking me 6 months to get lv.75 (this was way back in the day, and fortunately before the mob MPK prevention change). If a similar job was introduced in a future expansion, I would be all up on that shit. I would just hope that it would be made better for end game situations b/c I never got to do anything on it; always got stuck on bard.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

What I hope is that FFXIV stays true to some of the things that made FFXI stand out when compared to other MMOs. I like the focus on team-work, the menu-based interface, the ability to switch jobs, story-driven missions, exp from camping and fighting lots of enemies rather than grinding quests...
    Also I love how battles in FFXI feel seperate from the rest of the game world in some way. When you enter a battle you know that there is usually no way out alive apart from killing your opponent. The battle music starts playing, new menus appear, you're locked on to your opponent etc. It's almost like in previous FFs with random battles. In other MMOs regular battles are about drawing your weapon, spamming a few buttons, and then putting your weapon away a few seconds later. I want to know that entering a battle is a commitment I need to be prepared for, and not something that is just a nuisance.

FFXI was my first MMO and because of that I grew accustomed to the way it was set-up. I've tried alot of other games like WoW, WAR, lotro, City of Heroes, Aion, Guildwars, etc....they all seemed very similar to me because they use similar default interfaces, focus on spamming of abilities, similar artistic direction, less emphasis on differentiated ability animations.

If anything I want FFXIV to correct some of the mistakes that kept FFXI from achieving the same mass-market appeal that other games enjoy at launch. I want other gamers to realize just how different FFXI was and hopefully enjoy FFXIV enough to stick with it.

Vacht

Quote Originally Posted by Stef View Post
    What I hope is that FFXIV stays true to some of the things that made FFXI stand out when compared to other MMOs. I like the focus on team-work, the menu-based interface, the ability to switch jobs, story-driven missions, exp from camping and fighting lots of enemies rather than grinding quests...
    Also I love how battles in FFXI feel seperate from the rest of the game world in some way. When you enter a battle you know that there is usually no way out alive apart from killing your opponent. The battle music starts playing, new menus appear, you're locked on to your opponent etc. It's almost like in previous FFs with random battles. In other MMOs regular battles are about drawing your weapon, spamming a few buttons, and then putting your weapon away a few seconds later. I want to know that entering a battle is a commitment I need to be prepared for, and not something that is just a nuisance.

FFXI was my first MMO and because of that I grew accustomed to the way it was set-up. I've tried alot of other games like WoW, WAR, lotro, City of Heroes, Aion, Guildwars, etc....they all seemed very similar to me because they use similar default interfaces, focus on spamming of abilities, similar artistic direction, less emphasis on differentiated ability animations.

If anything I want FFXIV to correct some of the mistakes that kept FFXI from achieving the same mass-market appeal that other games enjoy at launch. I want other gamers to realize just how different FFXI was and hopefully enjoy FFXIV enough to stick with it.
    Yeah, SE really knows how to capture an audience!

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

I'm looking forward to see how much SE can incorporate things they did in FFXII and FFXIII into this game.

FFXII - A fluid system similar to FFXI.
    FFXIII - Very little RNG/luck factors, luck can speed things up but the game is not built strictly around it.
    - Engaging, difficult combat. If you're not pressing something in FFXIV for the most part you're being inefficient and could lose the battle.
    - Few useless abilities. There's a use for just about every single spell and ability you get in the game, the debuffs, the heals even, there's nothing I haven't put to use a few times in the game and I haven't even gotten into the Gran Pulse missions.

I've greatly enjoyed both of the console games in between SE MMO's, I only hope that they tell a bit about where the mindset of the company has been going and hints at what FFXIV will be like.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Gurubashi

Just want something new. FFXI's gotten repetitive and kinda boring. Hopefully server mergers will make this game fun again.

I'd Rather Be in Zi'Tah
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglestrike View Post
    I'm looking forward to see how much SE can incorporate things they did in FFXII and FFXIII into this game.

FFXII - A fluid system similar to FFXI.
    FFXIII - Very little RNG/luck factors, luck can speed things up but the game is not built strictly around it.
    - Engaging, difficult combat. If you're not pressing something in FFXIV for the most part you're being inefficient and could lose the battle.
    - Few useless abilities. There's a use for just about every single spell and ability you get in the game, the debuffs, the heals even, there's nothing I haven't put to use a few times in the game and I haven't even gotten into the Gran Pulse missions.

I've greatly enjoyed both of the console games in between SE MMO's, I only hope that they tell a bit about where the mindset of the company has been going and hints at what FFXIV will be like.
    Define a "Fluid System".

Oh and XIII has RNG/Luck Factors. Trust me on this one. Its there, you just haven't seen it yet. There is always useless or just minor useful skills and item in the game. Personally, I never once used medicine other than Phoenix Down and potions were only useful til you were out of Chapter 2.

I too hope that they see what they have done with their RPGs and give us a solid game. The thing I worry about is that we don't get enough diversity amongst classes to start out with. An mmo is more about choices and differing play styles than a single player RPG. Right now, with 7 classes, I do not see there being enough there for everyone.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by niwaar View Post
    Define a "Fluid System".

Oh and XIII has RNG/Luck Factors. Trust me on this one. Its there, you just haven't seen it yet. There is always useless or just minor useful skills and item in the game. Personally, I never once used medicine other than Phoenix Down and potions were only useful til you were out of Chapter 2.

I too hope that they see what they have done with their RPGs and give us a solid game. The thing I worry about is that we don't get enough diversity amongst classes to start out with. An mmo is more about choices and differing play styles than a single player RPG. Right now, with 7 classes, I do not see there being enough there for everyone.
    It was FFXI without the big lag in every ability. Probably just an issue with FFXI's programming more than anything. I'd need to replay FFXII, when I don't have a copy/PS2 anymore to be able to be more specific atm.

I spammed the hell out of potions. They're instant and your ATB still charges if you go select it. So in lots of boss fights (Bart 2, final boss, PC 2.0, etc.) I would hit a potion while waiting for ATB's to charge up. Medic role bonus effects its healing so at end-game (storyline) it's like 400ish healing to everyone in the group, that's as much as a cure on everyone and surely saved me a few wipes.

I wouldn't really worry about classes and choices atm. The first bit of information we received about FFXIV was about players being defined by their weapon choice. Now we see only 7 classes. I think it's reasonable to assume that class + weapon = different jobs. A Pugilist with a dagger may be fairly different than a pugilist using hand-to-hand weapons.

I'd Rather Be in Zi'Tah
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglestrike View Post
    I wouldn't really worry about classes and choices atm. The first bit of information we received about FFXIV was about players being defined by their weapon choice. Now we see only 7 classes. I think it's reasonable to assume that class + weapon = different jobs. A Pugilist with a dagger may be fairly different than a pugilist using hand-to-hand weapons.
    Oh there will be different archetypes in any given class. I can definitely see that. If not only for the elemental focus system they have alluded to in recent interviews. A Fire, Thunder or Water focused Gladiator may be more of a DD while an earth or ice or air focused may be a tank for example. Who knows about the different specialization options within the classes (I am sure there will be, especially with the complete lack of any "subjob" type system.) I personally am worried about the sheer lack of caster classes from the outset. Remember once again, that XI was released with 5 more jobs than we have seen thus far. Of those 11 jobs, 4 of them were "casters". Even if you placed Archer/Ranger in this category due to they being ranged that would be 5 ranged type jobs. There really needs to be a true healer and a true dps caster class. This isnt XI, I know it, but having a release with only 2 casters is a step in the wrong direction.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Please forgive me i maybe very stupid. WTF is RNG the only RNG i know is a ranger in FFXI but i sure as hell know you're not referring to that.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

I think they're talking about Random Number Generators.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

ok still don't know what you're talking about but it makes more sense than Ranger lol

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Basically it's how hit statistics are handled. Example: If you have an 80% chance to land something then the RNG will roll a random number between 1-100, if it's over 20 the spell/ability/attack or whatever will land, if it's under 20 it'll miss.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Ok i get it now. Thank you

Kristenn's Kat
    BG Level

I was actually wondering what that was too, thanks for asking (and for answering). I'm no good with a lot of these acronyms.

Apocalypse
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata
    WoW Realm
    Shadowmoon

I hope FFXIV has big Dragons.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Firehawk View Post
    I hope FFXIV has big Dragons.
    REALLY big dragons...

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vrumpt Vegallion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Zurkov View Post
    REALLY big dragons...
    everybody knows the quality and success of a game is directly proportional to the number of dragons it has. just look at World of Warcraft.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by vrumpt View Post
    everybody knows the quality and success of a game is directly proportional to the number of dragons it has. just look at World of Warcraft.

In that case, GW2 should be a huge success.