BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Havok Stormblood
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

setting up a home network for the first time, having issues

Ok...so we've never bothered with a network at home before because it wasn't needed, but I'd like to set it up now to share files/printers etc. I set it up fine on this machine (using XP). The other desktop I'm trying to connect to the network is running vista though (not my computer) and I can't for the life of me get it to work so we can share files between them. Can i chalk this up to vista just being GAY or am i just stupid?

On XP you just run the wizard, and then at the end says you can put the XP CD in the other computers > perform additional tasks > run the wizard there as well. Tried that on the vista machine and it told me to fuck off.

Not Killing Ganon
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

this is a vista/xp issue yeah, its known... many work arounds on google, um ive not done this in a while because i have a NAS and it's its own device so i dont worry about it... im pretty sure its something to do with users and you need to have the same users on your xp machine (with passwords) as on your vista machine

The Wang
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Furt Wangler
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

try downloading http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=70582 on your XP machine, and like Killgannon said, check around on google there are numerous people with the same problem.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

XP home or pro?

i've always have problems with XP home sharing

Not Killing Ganon
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

wont matter, its an issue between xp and vista, ive had the same issue with xp pro and vista ultimate, so its the os's regardless of version

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Don't be so quick to blame the different OS's. Are you using more than one wireless device? If you're using for example, a cable modem and a linksys wireless router in the same network, it could be a DNS issue.

we need to know how your network is setup, including all devices.

Not Killing Ganon
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

dude, this is an EXTREMELY common issue with vista and xp, its the OSes, i have 0 doubt

The Wang
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Furt Wangler
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Gippo has a valid point though, if he did a douchey job setting up the actual network the OS is irrelevant.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Create a share folder on Vista.
    On XP go to Run, type \\VistaPCName\FolderShareName
    Victory.

Reverse also works.

Can do \\PCName and youll see printers and all shared folders too.
    Do directconnect with a printer do \\PCName\Printername

Can also try \\PCName\C$

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Killgannon View Post
    dude, this is an EXTREMELY common issue with vista and xp, its the OSes, i have 0 doubt
    i have 1 XP 2 vista and 1 7 here i have 0 share problems between any PC

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

If you are positive that the two pcs are indeed communicating on the same network, and you can tell this by doing the following

1. open cmd prompt and type ipconfig
    2. the default gateway is the device both pcs are connecting through, verify these values are the same. If they are not, then stop because they will never see each other unless you basically rig the dns.

If they are on the same gateway , then read along because I have seen the same issue when trying to connect a vista/win7 machine to shared resources on an xp machine.

Go to the xp machine and do this:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. Type regedit, and then click OK.
    3. Navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\LanmanServer\Parameters
    4. In the right pane, double-click the IRPStackSize value.

NOTE: If the IRPStackSize value does not already exist, use the following procedure to create it:
    1. In the Parameters folder of the registry, right-click the right pane.
    2. Point to New, and then click DWord Value.
    3. Type IRPStackSize.
    IMPORTANT: Type "IRPStackSize" exactly as it is displayed because the value name is case-sensitive.

5. [Double click on IRPStackSize] Change the Base to decimal.
    6. In the Value Data box, type 21.

7. Close the Registry Editor.
    8. Restart the xp computer.

Now, make sure you set up sharing on the xp machine correctly, and also get the computer name of the xp machine.

Now, on the vista/win7 machine, type start > run and type \\computername where computername is the name of the xp machine.

let me know if this helps.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Havok Stormblood
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

It's a hughes net modem > wireless linksys router > neither machine using wireless though

i'll try some things in a bit, busy atm. thanks for responses though. the hughes net guys set it all up when we got that installed, just for the internet though. they didn't do anything to network the computers together.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

plug the output on the hughes net(which is probably running into your pc) into the input on the linksys. Then plug your 2 cables that run to your pcs into the linksys box.

This way both computers get their ip addresses from the linksys.

then run ipconfig from the cmd prompt to verify both are on the same network.

the actual value of the default gateway doesnt matter, it will be in A.B.C.D Just verify both computers have the same A.B.C

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Havok Stormblood
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

k yea doing \\computerblabla doesn't work from either machine.

As far as i can tell they are both getting internet through the same router, but are not connected on the same home network.

Default gateway has no letters or anything, for both its just the 192.168.1.1 that all linksys routers use i think? I did the registry edit also.

This is XP home yes, but i'm pretty sure the problem is just with the vista machine not connecting to the same home network somehow. IF i could run the damn network setup wizard that xp has, there would be no problems. vista is GAY.

Feel free to keep trying to help, i appreciate it, but i will search around google myself also heh. Been busy so I just tried this a few minutes ago (obviously this isn't an urgent issue).

Do you have any 3rd party firewall/antivirus software installed? Maybe it's blocking the file share ports.

The Wang
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Furt Wangler
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I don't like vista either, but it isn't always the problem. Read my post above, install that hotfix from microsoft. If they both have the same default gateway (the 192.168.1.1) they are on the same network, and at this point is is just an OS incompatibility, that I'm sure can get fixed.

After running that hotfix on the XP machine, make sure that they are on the same workgroup (right click on computer, then properties, (in XP the name tab, vista click advanced properties) and find the entry where you can change the workgroup)

After verifying that they are on the same workgroup, restart both computers to make sure all the settings have taken effect, and if you still cannot see one another, make sure all the passworded sharing shit is turned off on vista (go to the network sharing center). make sure file/printer sharing is actually on, and that you have something shared.

Also like octo said firewalls are just a pain in the ass when it comes to sharing, esp. zonealarm and the like; turn that shit off.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

open command prompt on one of the pcs, it doesn't matter which.

start > run > cmd
    type ipconfig and press enter
    now write down the value of ip address, should be 192.168.1.X where x is some number.

now go to the other computer and open the command prompt the same way

type ping x where x is the ip address of the other computer and press enter.

let me know if your getting a reply.