+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Using the Wii Fit to learn Yoga is like using Mario Kart Wii to learn how to drive.

It's helpful to a degree, but it's no replacement for an actual instructor and classes.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

wii fit is great for woman who like to exercise in their panties and have their bf's record it and put it on youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrish View Post
    As a fellow man to the rest-

So am I considered flexible since i can almost touch my elbows to the floor?
    Bullshit, knees straight? POIDH

Quote Originally Posted by Acturus View Post
    Using the Wii Fit to learn Yoga is like using Mario Kart Wii to learn how to drive.

It's helpful to a degree, but it's no replacement for an actual instructor and classes.
    I kind of want to try teaching someone how to drive using Mario Kart Wii now

Tyven's Xbax Fren
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Korgath

Just go to a class. If you're nervous about that, invest $15 in a yoga dvd to learn some stuff first, then go. That's the route I tried, and it's much better with an instructor and in a class setting, imo.

The Righteous One
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

I was pretty impressed with how sensitive the Wii Fit board is to all kinds of movement.
    I haven't been using it to focus on flexibility, but I can definitely feel it stretching me in ways that I normally wouldn't in every day life

Yoga isn't hard enough to require starting with Wii Fit. It's like any exercise type, you won't get anywhere if you pussy foot around it. Download a DVD, go to a class, do something that will actually show you what Yoga is and push you a little bit. You'll get nowhere if you just stay on your Wii the whole time, and if you're just trying to build yourself up to the real yoga then a DVD will help a lot more than Wii Fit.

Just don't expect it to be a cakewalk, good Yoga is a strenuous but awesome workout.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by richardd View Post
    wii fit is great for woman who like to exercise in their panties and have their bf's record it and put it on youtube
    I completely and totally encourage this, especially if said chick is hot.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

I recently took up yoga due to my incredible inflexibility and wanting an injury free baseball season, and one program I was recommended was Tony Horton's Patience Hummingbird one-on-one DVD. Its basically a 35 minute yoga routine instead of the lenghtly 1 hour and 40 minute Yoga-X he has in his P90x DVD set. I've only been doing it for a month now, but the flexibilty I have gained in such a small amount of time is astounding. I would recommend anyone thinking about trying Yoga to give this a shot.

And Zaraki's a fgt.

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I'd like to learn how to play guitar to increase my sexiness. I can't even figure out a power chord. I don't wanna go to a guitar lesson so I was thinking of the Wii Rock Band.

What's your opinion on it?

E. Body
    BG Level

While it is sarcasm I have to state that rockband or guitar hero are way different than what wiifit is to yoga. Wiifit yoga has some simple moves and are good for starters. Personally a video will get you a longer way along, but the wiifit isn't bad to start.

I do feel the drums in said games could actually be useful to playing real drums, but I'm not a musician so I could be way off.

That being said out of the three people I know, myself+gf included as 1, nobody plays their wiifit after a few weeks.

It's a useful too, but only if you actually use it.

I have no idea tbh
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

One thing about yoga on the Wii, and really most of the balance-oriented exercises, is the way the board ensures your weight is properly distributed - a mat on the floor and a video won't do that. And there's more fun that just yoga - the balance "games" like hula hoop, skiing, etc.

I don't think you'd learn Yoga and be able to adapt easily to a class at the gym from your Wii, but it would help solve your complete lack of flexibility, and give you a way to measure progress with the tracking it provides.

If your goal is "improve balance and flexibility and identify target areas" Wii will help.

If your goal is "learn to be yoga proficient" ... no.

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Shame on all of you for not having posted a Metalocalypse joke here yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Iono View Post
    I do feel the drums in said games could actually be useful to playing real drums, but I'm not a musician so I could be way off.
    idk about the drums, but playing the little guitar things on those games is not even remotely like playing a real guitar. Ironically everyone I know who is an awesome guitar player blows goats at those games, and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Callisto View Post
    Ironically everyone I know who is an awesome guitar player blows goats at those games, and vice versa.
    There's only vertical movement of the fingers on a guitar hero controller, where the fingers have to move in two dimensions on a real guitar. It screws with guitar players.

Ironically, I picked up Guitar hero fairly easily, and I think it's because I've played electric bass for the last 10 years, which uses many more single-note presses of the fingers on the left hand.

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Acturus View Post
    There's only vertical movement of the fingers on a guitar hero controller, where the fingers have to move in two dimensions on a real guitar. It screws with guitar players.
    Yeah, that and at least on the easier modes a lot of the strumming is done sync'd more to the drum beats of the songs than the actual guitar rhythms. That and the resistance of the little thing you hit to strum is much different than moving a pick across strings.

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Ariall View Post
    I recently took up yoga due to my incredible inflexibility and wanting an injury free baseball season, and one program I was recommended was Tony Horton's Patience Hummingbird one-on-one DVD. Its basically a 35 minute yoga routine instead of the lenghtly 1 hour and 40 minute Yoga-X he has in his P90x DVD set. I've only been doing it for a month now, but the flexibilty I have gained in such a small amount of time is astounding. I would recommend anyone thinking about trying Yoga to give this a shot.

And Zaraki's a fgt.
    Idk man, taking 1 on 1 yoga lessons from a dude sounds pretty gay to me.

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Yeah, that and at least on the easier modes a lot of the strumming is done sync'd more to the drum beats of the songs than the actual guitar rhythms. That and the resistance of the little thing you hit to strum is much different than moving a pick across strings.
    This is what always throws me off, and it pisses me off because none of my friends play guitar, and can all smash my face in on Guitar Hero/Rock Band even after playing guitar for 11 years.

Yeah, use fingers rather than a pick (again, bassist), but I imagine everything is just similar enough to the guitar to be completely foreign.

I mean, it's even shaped properly, but it's much smaller.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

wii fit is great for woman who like to exercise in their panties
    I don't even have wii fit, but at my apartment there is a strict bra+panties rule for any girl that comes over and wants to play wii sports.

3 for 3 so far.

Science Fiction Super Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

links plz

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Takedown3 View Post
    links plz
    http://www.geekologie.com/2008/12/11/zelda-1.jpg