+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Visiting Dallas and Austin on the Fourth of July

Howdy folks, some friends and I are going to Dallas to see the White Sox play the Rangers, and I thought I would ask our fine friends from that area for some information/suggestions:

1) Any suggestions for the seats at the ballpark? Its a night game, so not worried about the blistering heat...but any suggestions would be appreciated

2) Good hotels/areas in Austin and Dallas? We are going to spend 2 nights in Dallas and also 2 nights in Austin. I was in Austin a couple of years ago, but didn't really do anything exciting, so any suggestions on the night life for both cities? Also, we are still trying to find good hotels to stay at, so those suggestions welcomed! We have the generic name brand chains (hyatt, marriot) but is there someplace cool/special we should know about?

3) Since we are gonna be down there for the Fourth, is there anything special going on at either place for the holiday? Maybe a kick-ass fireworks display that we should know about?

Thanks for the information and your time BG!

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

6th STREET in Austin, TX - there's a lot to do here. Aside from the touristy stuff, you can swing by on 6th for some Mardi Gras fun (our version of it anyway). You should also go down the drag to take a look at some of the artsy stuff they have - jewelry, clothing, etc etc.

As for hotels, how much are you looking to spend? Some of the best hotels are bed and breakfast type deals, but they're not that cheap.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

since it is me and 3 other dudes, we probably wont do the BnB, we were thinking to spend about $120/night at the most. We have found the nicer chains to have it within our price range, but I want some insight before commiting.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

Dallas nightlife, for visitors, Deep Ellum isn't bad. Near downtown Dallas if you wanna make the drive, pretty fun time. If you want stuff near the ballpark, you've got Six Flags Over Texas, Hurricane Harbor. You've got countless restaurants around the area, there's a Cowboy bar, called Cowboys, off of 360 and Abrams, you can't miss it unless you're blind. Get your two-step and your bullriding on. Oh yes, there's a mechanical bull in there. He and I have met on several occasions. There are some strip clubs off of 360 near Cowboys as well, up an exit or 2, try Division or Randol Mill road. Key advice... don't wear a Giants, Redskins, or Eagles jersey, someone will say/do something.

Austin is a beast of its own with a lot of live music and bars. Good ole 6th street; 5th isn't bad either. Don't wear maroon there. Bama fans will not be welcomed, and sooner fans might as well leap off a tall building now.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I can promise you will see some serious White Sox gear, but no Philly,DC,or NY stuff lol. We are gonna reprazent Chicago. I keep hearing about 6th St in Austin, and it sounds like a blast. Is it very touristy? It doesn't sound like it, but we dont want to seem all phony and what not.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

People are friendly down in hill country, you'll have no issues. They'll ask why the chicago stuff, and after that they'll chill with ya.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Ravenholdt

In Austin there's a fireworks display at zilker park every year. Visit 6th street, warehouse district etc. I'd suggest staying at The Omni in Austin as its right in downtown. Also, if you have a taste for some fine dining in Austin, check out the Roaring Fork.

As for Dallas, there's hotels all over the place, so finding one should be easy enough. Check out reunion tower, texas school book depository, etc.

so i herd u liek trollin
    BG Level

Go Red Sox! OSHI-

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Klutz View Post
    Go Red Sox! OSHI-
    You are dead to me.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I may not have been to TX all that often, but I must say all the people I have met from there have always been pretty chill

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

There are tons of Texans here on bg (eat shit and die, miz) and we'll all be glad to point you to a good time.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Is this where you ask for a credit card number or something?

jk!

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

personal attacks

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

<3 My bad

Are there any Rangers fans out there? We are still looking for tickets to the game, and we are leaning on just buying some decent seats on the third base side, but we are also looking at something called the Lexus Club, but we have heard mainly negative things about it...as in not worth the cost. Since we obviously dont go to Dallas often, we are looking for the best seats or if there is a particularly nice part of the park to see a game from? Is the stadium nice in general? Is parking an issue at all?

Sponsored by Orton
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

As far as the Ballgame goes, you have to consider what you'd rather want: hotel close to the game or hotel closer to nightlife.

The stadium itself is in Arlington, which is about a 20-30 minute drive from Dallas. Really Arlington sits somewhat in the middle of Dallas and Ft. Worth. There isn't too much of an actual nightlife in Arlington save for a bar here or there. Six Flags and Hurricane Harbor though are good attractions during the day.

Deep Ellum is mostly dead in Dallas and isn't what it used to be at all. Uptown Dallas can be alright depending on the bar, but quite a few places there can be quite pricey and the crowds somewhat full of douche depending on the people around. The Lower Greenville area is a little more chill and has better prices, but I can't think of too many hotels off the top of my head that are close.

Ft. Worth, and specifically, Sundance Square, has a better nightlife for visitors I feel. Lots of places to eat and drink, prices aren't awful and there's quite a bit of variety. Not sure when the 4th is, but if you happen to be there on a weekend, go see Four Day Weekend. They are an improv comedy troop and the show is $20/person. They are no Second City I'm sure, but it's a good time and good start to a night.

Bars out in Ft. Worth have a little bit of everything, and it's all in walking distance once you are in the square, so I'm sure you can find something to suit your tastes with no issues.

And yeah, as far as the game goes, come decked on in opposing shit, it won't matter. Word of warning though, the ushers are dicks and they've been known to kick out fans that like standing when the people behind them are sitting (including Ranger fans). I wish I was making it up, but I'm not. We are having new ownership, so hopefully that'll change. Just judge your surroundings on that.

And of course for Austin: Sixth Street. No questions.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Nightlife is more important, since we are gonna have a car to drive to the game.

Once again, thanks to everyone for all the suggestions!

Sponsored by Orton
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by GeneJackit View Post
    <3 My bad

Are there any Rangers fans out there? We are still looking for tickets to the game, and we are leaning on just buying some decent seats on the third base side, but we are also looking at something called the Lexus Club, but we have heard mainly negative things about it...as in not worth the cost. Since we obviously dont go to Dallas often, we are looking for the best seats or if there is a particularly nice part of the park to see a game from? Is the stadium nice in general? Is parking an issue at all?
    Shit I forgot about your stadium questions.

Here's the deal with the Lexus level: it is a second deck and you get a waiter/waitress that can get food/booze for you. That's really the only advantage to it.

If you want a good deal, see if they are doing "all you can eat seats". The seats are on Homerun Porch (upper deck, right field). You get all the hot dogs, nachos, popcorn, burgers, chicken sandwhiches, and coke that you can eat/drink for the price of admission. Food really isn't that bad at all and it's a hell of a deal. I tailgated the game before, got drunk, did that, and had a blast. Only thing I paid for was like two more beers all game.

Only downside to those seats is that the jumbotron is right above you and you can't see it, but they have put in a video screen in the LF scoreboard now so it balances out.

Despite it being a night game, be warned, LF is the sun field. Until about inning 4 or 5, the sun will peak into that area and it'll be hotter than needed for a bit. If you get seats a bit away from LF though, you should be good.

Parking is rather easy. PM me or post when you get your seats and I'll let you know what lot to go to. More often than not, getting out is easy as well.

As far as good seats, I say there really aren't too many bad seats in the house save for maybe the 3rd deck or the CF bleachers (and certain parts of HR Porch can be obstructed by support pillars). Vantage points are really good all over.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Howdy
    I stopped reading here. Ok not really but cut that howdy crap out when mentioning Texas

Good hotels/areas in Austin and Dallas?...any suggestions on the night life for both cities?
    The Hilton Anatole or The W Hotel if you can afford it. The W is located very close to the party sector of downtown Dallas. There is also a poplaur club on the rooftop of the W called Sky Bar. So depending on your age, you might enjoy that type of atmosphere. There are various/diverse clubs, restaurants, and entertainment in the "Deep Ellum" sector of downtown Dallas. The W is in downtown and the Anatole is about 6 mins away.

is there anything special going on at either place for the holiday? Maybe a kick-ass fireworks display that we should know about?
    Lake Ray Hubbard usually has a fantastic fireworks display. It's about 25-30 mins from downtown Dallas.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Lol, I wasnt even trying to use "Howdy" as a derogatory greeting for TX. Must've been freudian, b/c I personally love TX

Sponsored by Orton
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

The Ballpark fireworks are pretty badass as well if you want to kill two birds with one stone. If you do that though, don't sit in CF or RF...LF is ok, but I'd suggest seats down the lines or behind home plate if you do that.

Also, the W...holy waste of money Batman. If you like to watch money burn, more power too you, but it's definitely one of those "go there to be seen" places. Sky Bar is Dallas' shot at an "exclusive" night club. Overpriced drinks, high cover, ridiculously loud "club" music, etc.

As you can tell, not my cup of tea at all lol.