Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45
    okay guy I guess
    BG Level

that's just like, your opinion, man

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Hirronimus View Post
    That's my point. He would never even say "maybe"
    The maybe more was an indicator that he didn't want to teach Clark it was okay to expose himself, especially when he was afraid of how an intolerant world would react. He obviously wasn't going to say yes, because he didn't want to teach Clark to be indifferent to the sufferings of others.

It was a pretty complicated that people are trying too hard to pick at. On one hand, Jonathan has his duty as a father to his son in teaching him right and wrong but on the other hand he has a sense of understanding what Clark is capable of while Clark himself does not.

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

The problem is not so much that Jonathan's advice to Clark isn't believable, in the context of this movie it makes sense. The problem is that nothing we see Jonathan teach Clark could in any way lead him to become the selfless hero Superman is supposed to be.

Though perhaps that's also fine, since this movie's Clark doesn't grow up to be that anyways.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

this thread is funny

Felt like this had the makings of a great movie, but it falls short with pacing, characterization and execution. I dunno what it is, it's hard to put a finger on it, I enjoyed it, but I didn't see much that connected together overall to make Superman the way he was. The intro was incredibly long and didn't serve as much than some kind of action opener to keep the mouth breathers satisfied. They spent all that time exploring Superman's origin in the most boring, cliche'd way possible. The opening also makes Zod's intentions fall flat a little, he just seems typical but I guess you can't help that since it's supposed to be Zod's first encounter with Superman.

Spoiler: show
    And I guess his last, too? WHIPLASH.

I dunno, it missed the mark to make an actually interesting villain or threat. The only real time I felt any tension was the situation in Metropolis with the world-changing thingy. But even then it was easy to see what was coming. The tension wasn't even real, and that was the only part of the movie where I felt the stakes had actually been raised.

Then the actual story with Clark starts to happen, but it's completely disjointed between childish discovery of powers and adult discovery of origin, it bounces back with no real connection to what is actually happening, and while all the scenes are fine individually they just don't flow well at all. I don't see the point of interspersing fragments of Clark's childhood memories in-between the moral decisions he has to make in the present when there isn't much of a connection between them.

Then the stuff on the ship with Jor-El (or whatever his name is) was ridiculous and completely missed the mark. So much for a dead dad when he's talking and doing shit like he was alive the whole time. There could've been something meaningful there but it was just wasted, mostly on Lois. And then Lois being some kind of integral part of defeating the Kryptonians just seems too much. Not that I have a problem with her helping, but the way she was shoehorned in was shit.

Overall, I don't regret watching it. The fight scenes near the end (not the very last one with Zod, mostly the stuff before that) were entertaining and pretty well executed. But I don't think they know how to make live-action Superman fight when he's actually flying and visually everything looks pretty and sounds great but, hard to care about that when the pacing is just so off.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Deftscythe View Post
    The problem is not so much that Jonathan's advice to Clark isn't believable, in the context of this movie it makes sense. The problem is that nothing we see Jonathan teach Clark could in any way lead him to become the selfless hero Superman is supposed to be.

Though perhaps that's also fine, since this movie's Clark doesn't grow up to be that anyways.
    I know. I'm not arguing in terms of canon; I'm arguing in terms of context. That's usually how I argue about comic/game movies. I've learned that Hollywood will always sensationalize a franchise if they can squeeze money out of it. Look what happened with Iron Man 3. As an Iron Man movie, it kind of fell flat. As a Marvel movie, however, it was good enough for me.

For me the movie did really poor job showing why Clark would care about the humans. In the beginning he just bums around but we never see him actually make a connection with any people that would make human race worth saving. Take for example Superman: Birthright when Clark is 19 (before he ever puts on a cape) and he's in Africa he sees the dark side of humanity but also sees how hard the little guys can try to change something for better. It inspires him to become Superman, it shows him something worth fighting for. His earth parents while they raised him to be a good person are not ultimately what pushes him into becoming Superman, his experiences do. I think Henry is a good actor and would be a great Superman if he was given a chance to act in the movie. However, he did not, they jumped through few random moments and said fuck it now he's Superman lets get to the action.
    They created a Superman that cares more about fighting than saving people which is completely opposite of what he should be. He saved like 3 people through the movie?
    It seems like this movie was somewhat inspired by Superman: Birthright and they even said they brought Mark Waid to talk to them but I guess they just dont get it.
    This is just one of the moments they should've aimed for in the movie in my opinion. Superman should inspire and this movie did not.
    http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/...irthright3.png

GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    stuff
    I pretty much agree. I was engaged for the first half of the movie but got bored after that.

then there is the "wut" aspect of a lot of the script that has been pointed out in several linked articles

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Deftscythe View Post

I think it was more that in spite of what his dad said, Clark was always a selfless person. I got the impression that the bus was just one in a line of him saving people, it was just that this time somebody saw him. Every time he saved somebody, he would just move on so as not to be discovered.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Superman: Man of Steel (June 14, 2013)

Edit sorry ...... Saw the batman and superman thread really sorry for the useless bump

I thought the action was pretty awesome. My mouth was wide open at some points. >_>;

Plot could've been stronger in all honesty though.

Also, did anyone spot the Wayne industries logo towards the end of the movie?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I only just now got around to seeing it (was going to wait to redbox it, but had a chance to go see it for a dollar), but a major gripe I had that I'm surprised no one else mentioned:

What the fuck at killing Hamilton. That should have been a reoccurring role (they had a decent guy playing him) and they just let him die in the plane crash. The Colonel at least got to say something and acknowledge the fact that he was dying, but it's almost as if the writers completely forgot Hamilton was there. Why even bother including him in this if they aren't going develop his relationship with Superman.

BG Level

He was sucked into the Phantom Zone. That doesn't mean he won't come back.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Let's be real though- he won't. Also I think the plane blew up, so there's that.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Honestly if anyone I'd want back from that plane it would be Faora.