WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Superman: Man of Steel (June 14, 2013)

Director: Zack Snyder
    IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0770828/
    Wiki:

Plot:
    “In the pantheon of superheroes, Superman is the most recognized and revered character of all time. Clark Kent/Kal-El (Cavill) is a young twentysomething journalist who feels alienated by powers beyond anyone’s imagination. Transported to Earth years ago from Krypton, an advanced alien planet, Clark struggles with the ultimate question – Why am I here? Shaped by the values of his adoptive parents Martha (Lane) and Jonathan Kent (Costner), Clark soon discovers that having super abilities means making very difficult decisions. But when the world needs stability the most, it comes under attack. Will his abilities be used to maintain peace or ultimately used to divide and conquer? Clark must become the hero known as “Superman,” not only to shine as the world’s last beacon of hope but to protect the ones he loves.”
    Cast:

Henry Cavill - Clark Kent / Superman
    Amy Adams - Lois Lane
    Russell Crowe - Jor-El
    Kevin Costner - Jonathan Kent
    Diane Lane - Martha Kent
    Christopher Meloni
    Michael Shannon - Zod
    Julia Ormond - Lara Lor-Van
    Antje Traue - Faora
    Harry Lennix - Swanwick

Trailer:

Notes:

Spoiler: show
    Goyer and Jonah Nolan Writing Next Batman Movie?

Last week, news broke that David Goyer was exiting ABC's "FlashForward" as showrunner so that he can again concentrate on his feature career.

"As my feature projects have started ramping up again, I felt I was being pulled in too many directions," Goyer said. "I'm proud of the show and excited about the relaunch. It's in great hands."

Once again buried in a story on Deadline Hollywood is the revelation that one of those features is none other than The Dark Knight follow-up:

Of course, Goyer's feature career is really heating up, since he co-wrote Batman Begins, and penned the story for The Dark Knight, and is now writing the third Batman installment with Chris Nolan's brother Jonah.
    http://www.superherohype.com/news/ba...ws.php?id=9054
    http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/fl...es/#more-24745

Christopher Nolan to Mentor New Superman Movie?

In possibly one of the biggest superhero movie shockers since the last one--when was the Spider-Man reboot, three weeks ago?--Deadline Hollywood is now reporting that The Dark Knight and Batman Begins director Christopher Nolan has been assigned the potentially thankless task of being the latest filmmaker assigned by Warner Bros. to try to save the "Superman" franchise, in this case in a mentoring capacity to figure out the best way to proceed.

Director Bryan Singer helmed the last installment Superman Returns three and a half years ago, which grossed $391 million worldwide, but wasn't seen as a hit due to its reported $270 million production budget. (Remember that the studio doesn't get 100% of those theatrical grosses.)

Since then, various names have been mentioned as possible candidates to get Superman back to the screen, most vocally comic book creator Mark Millar (Wanted, Kick-Ass), but nothing had been confirmed or definite.

This latest news seems to come out of two recent developments, the restructuring of Warner's relationship with DC Comics into a new company called DC Entertainment, headed by Diane Nelson, and the looming deadline of the estates of Superman creators Jerome Siegel and Joe Shuster gaining back the entire copyright for the character in 2013. During a court hearing about the rights to Superman, Warners chairman Alan Horn said that he hoped to make another film for 2012 at the earliest but that no script was currently in development.

Some may remember that before Bryan Singer came on board, various versions of the Man of Steel were floundering in development, including one version starring Nicolas Cage to be directed by Tim Burton based on a screenplay by Kevin Smith. Even J.J. Abrams took a crack at writing a Superman screenplay with both Brett Ratner and McG attached to direct his version at one point.

It's unclear how far Nolan's role as a mentor might stretch and whether he'll just be offering some suggestions on the direction, or will be actively involved in picking the director, writers and casting for the reboot, as it's still very early in what is already being labeled "Superman 3.0."
    http://www.superherohype.com/news/su...ws.php?id=9058
    http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/it...ng-3rd-batman/

ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

They need to do a movie on "The Red Son"

Its the only point in the superman comic book line up that I've ever been interested in.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Tekki View Post
    They need to do a movie on "The Red Son"

Its the only point in the superman comic book line up that I've ever been interested in.
    Red sun wouldn't make much sense for a movie though, it's an alternate Superman isn't it?

The biggest problem with superman is I'd say all his best storys tend to be too big for a movie, like kingdom come. Also I think they tend to repeat in their interpretaions of Superman. Superman storys seem to be either him having to step up or having to back down. There just isn't much to work with.

Take that Seinfeld Superman commercial and stretch it into a movie. Superman can save the world, but can't set up TiVo?

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

obviously making batman vs superman movie to counter the avengers movie.

I thought the last Superman was pretty good?

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostsix.Midgard View Post
    Having it be a sequel that really isnt a sequel to the original movies all the while keeping an art house vibe that made Superman seem emo at times and having Lex Luthor come up with yet another real estate scheme turned off a lot of people, though for the record I loved it, probably more than Batman Begins.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_EkvOCjc9A sums it up lol

Although if they do reboot it, Brandon Routh was awesome and they should keep him but probably wont for obvious reasons

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Do we really need another fucking Superman reboot? The last one was pretty terrible. I swear, if we have to see anyting about his origins again, or Lex Luthor as the main villain, count me out.

Certified Man-Child
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

More excited to hear about Nolan working on a new Batman. Well, excited and skeptical. Going to be hard to top the last film.

Also, wouldn't mind a Superman movie w/Nolan involvement and Doomsday. >_>

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Superman Returns was garbage. The whole thing felt like a two hour trailer.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostsix.Midgard View Post
    Most of my friends liked it, but these are the same people that didn't think Transformers 2 was corny. Any Superman needs more action.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Big Plans For Superman, Batman & Co.

We’ve got to be living in an alternate reality like J.J. Abrams’ Star Trek - minus the starships and Karl Urban’s Bones McCoy. When did Warner Brothers suddenly get their crap together? In the last couple of weeks (particularly 48 hours) has come an onslaught of info regarding their plans for Superman, Batman, The Flash and so on.

Now we’re privy to information, but will mostly opt to keep our mouths shut. You just can’t run with everything you hear. Our good pals from other movie-news sites will tell ya the same. Some info turns out to be legit, some crap and everything else in between. And there’s stuff like Christopher Nolan producing the Superman reboot while prepping to direct Batman 3. Yeah, we heard that. But thought it was too crazy to be true. Cut to: it being fact.

It’s with that in mind we thought we’d spill the beans on some recent unconfirmed (that is the key word here, boys and girls) rumors. Again it’s too crazy to be true. Or is it?

OK. So we know David Goyer and Jonah Nolan are writing The Man of Steel and Batman 3. We’re hearing outta Burbank a key reason behind Chris’ "Godfather" role is to help out li’l brother Jonah. "Why’s that?" you ask. Because latest rumblings peg him to sit in the director’s chair for the Superman reboot.

This, of course, would mark his directorial debut after working with his brother on three Batman films, The Prestige and not to mention his (ultimately un-credited) stint on Terminator: Salvation and writing Interstellar for Steven Spielberg. Jonah’s a solid writer, for sure. But making your first feature a no-doubt $200 million+ blockbuster tentpole with the intention of sequels down the line? Of course, this could just be a part of somebody’s wish list – maybe the studio or maybe "Godfather" Nolan.

How about Chris himself? Sure, he’s helming Batman 3. But most of us assumed he was going to call it a day after the third installment. The whispers in our ear (again unconfirmed!) say Chris will shepherd his Batman and the next cinematic Superman (and presumably Ryan Reynolds’ Green Lantern, The Flash and others) towards a Justice League movie. That he will direct after The Man of Steel and Batman 3 are released. We’re talking one big monopoly or more appropriately Nolanopoly.

"That’s too crazy to be true!" On the surface, we’d normally agree. But so far, nothing going on with the Brothers Warner and DC Entertainment fit what one would immediately expect. I say that as a good thing. Whatever the outcome of this latest updates (gospel or garbage), it’s good to see DC is finally catching up with Marvel in the blockbuster-movies department!
    http://iesb.net/index.php?option=com...ures&Itemid=73

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Superman doesn't need more action. What it needs is a cast that isn't terrible and a solid script. Not too much to ask for. The first flick still stands as one of the best superhero movies. The rest after 2 were terrible.

Banned.

BG Level

Superman movie: the more it is like All-Star Superman the better it will be.

Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

I don't think a Superman movie franchise reboot will work. You're so limited by what you can do in terms of superman. You'll either spend the whole movie on backstory and not much action or you spend little time on backstory and very crappy action scenes. The best done Superman movie was 2 the rest are forgetable.

Ridill
    BG Level

eh I think a reboot of Superman could work if the backstory is just skipped.
    Who really needs the backstory of Superman? I'm sure people who have never read a comic or seen a superman movie knows superman's backstory.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

2 is also my favorite but i still think 1 was done better. It's probably because of the backstory and everything was built up well.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

<redacted>
    as much as I like Chuck, idk if he can fit the part, but if he does get it it would make this past season of chuck much funnier in retrospect since Routh was a major player

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

So long as Goyer doesn't wind up directing the third Batman movie, I'm happy. Blade Trinity failed to deliver.

I'm actually looking forward to a Superman reboot. I though "Returns" was decent, but unoriginal. I will never forgive Marsden and Singer for ditching X-Men just make a 2-hour fangasm over Richard Donner.

They call me Lord Null for a reason.
    BG Level

Nolan needs to stop dicking around and get to work on the Metal Gear Solid movie. With all his twist and turns it will be great. Him and his co-writer J.J Abrams.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 45 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast