Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

AKIRA it's baaaaaaack (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (20XX)

Director: Taika Waititi
    Writer:
    IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1134795/
    Wiki:

Synopsis:

Cast:

Trailers:

Clips:

Notes:

blax n gunz
    BG Level

As near as we can figure, Akira is about the leader of a biker gang who tries to save his kidnapped pal from a powerful supernatural experiment.
    OP's avatar sums it up for me.

It's tempting to think they can outdo the anime but really there's a cast of dozens in both, getting it all into a coherent narrative without cutting out a shitton is an almost impossible balance to strike.

live-action remake
    auto-fail
    incoming Dragon Ball/legend of chun Li failure of epic proportions

Laughing at the people they "cast" for these types of movies is usually more entertaining than the 'remakes' themselves

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Isn't DiCaprio a huge fan of Akira and other anime? I think having people involved who actually care about the source material instead of purely making money helps keep the spirit of source material.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Finally, some information on the Americanized bastardization of Akira!

http://geektyrant.com/storage/page-i...anco-Akira.png

According to gossip news site Just Jared, 127 Hours star James Franco is currently in talks to star in the live-action feature film adaptation of the manga series Akira. If he ends up being officially cast in the film he will take on the role of Kaneda. The movie will be directed by Albert Hughes (The Book of Eli) from a script written by Albert Torres (Henry Poole is Here). Franco is definitly a great choice for this role, and I hope he ends up ultimately getting cast in the film.

I honestly don't think Hughes has got what it takes to adapt this story properly, I'm not really that big of a fan of most the Hughes Brothers films. I've always been curious to see what this story would look like in live-action, and I've nervously excited about seeing the adaptation brought to life. A live-action Akira film has the potential of being epically awesome. I just look at the film styles and special effects we have these days, and I can't help but think that if this movie was done right, it could end up being unlike anything we've seen before. The potential that this property has is incredible. Will we see this epic Akria film that should be? I don't think so.

Details for the live-action version of the film were leaked online last year and here's the description which gives us some details on the changes that have been made:

The story has been “Americanized,” with the center of the action taking place in New Manhattan after the decimation of the city ( an incident resembling a nuclear bomb explosion), has been blamed on the work of unknown terrorists, with the iconic shot of Akira as the sole survivor clutching his teddy bear standing solemn in the crater at ground zero.

Flash-forward to sometime in the future where protagonists Kaneda and Travis (gone is the name Tetsuo – why not just keep it? ) belong to one of several biker gangs that control the burned out old Manhattan, while the shiny new Chinese-owned-and-invested “New Manhattan” glitters back at them like a star that cannot be touched.

The story somewhat follows the animated film but introduces a new character, Ray Arcman, who is the mad scientist that created Akira by using psychic and kinetic experiments on children including the three Espers (the elderly looking 10-year-olds from the animated film).

Asian gangsters run the underworld along with several motorcycle gangs (sadly, the “Clowns” are not in the film). Illegal drugs are still in demand and the gangs in turn have to pay tribute to their bosses, the ”Packies” (Pakistanis).

Liberties are taken with some of the characters: Princess Miyako is now an elderly trash-collecting lady in Old Manhattan and the Colonel’s part doesn’t come off as strong as he did in the animated version.

There are also continuity problems with the script. In one scene, the Colonel sets off a claymore mine in order to block the approaching Black Ops army and is wounded. Yet, in another scene after this, when he is captured, The Colonel is able to take out two military policeman and operate a .50 caliber mini-gun in a helicopter gunship in order to save Kaneda – then he promptly disappears for the remainder of the film.

Yes, Travis (Tetsuo) does expand and morph into a ballooning human amoeba, but only for one short scene. I think we can all agree that this is one of the landmark, crucial scenes that needs to be in the film, yet it’s only a mere fragment.

Kaneda gets a Tech 9 machine pistol instead of the high-tech-looking plasma-type weapon that was used in the original anime, and on the iconic Akira poster.
    http://geektyrant.com/news/2011/2/11...-in-akira.html

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

i... honestly dont know.......

james franco cool but akira remake? :/

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orson Dara
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

God dammit why do they feel the need to change the simple things that made the story great.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Live action remake? Why must they ruin everything?
    Spoiler: show

Flash-forward to sometime in the future where protagonists Kaneda and Travis (gone is the name Tetsuo – why not just keep it? ) belong to one of several biker gangs that control the burned out old Manhattan, while the shiny new Chinese-owned-and-invested “New Manhattan” glitters back at them like a star that cannot be touched.
    Doomed to forever fail. You can't have Akira without TETSUO~

BG's Official Canucks Fan
    BG Level

TETSUOOO!

KANEDAAA!

This is going to suck balls.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Of course it is, the original sucks balls. I think a lot of people overrate the movie because it was their first experience with an anime that was targeted at adults. Way back in the day when Columbia House had their anime of the month club... 3 movies for a penny and then just $19.95 a month for the rest of your life, while they send you golden anime titles like Project A-ko, Patlabor, The Venus Wars, Lupin the 3rd. Of course they also had Record of Lodoss War and Slayers too.

BG's worst Rangers fan
    Fleury 2; Lundqvist 0

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    Of course it is, the original sucks balls. I think a lot of people overrate the movie because it was their first experience with an anime that was targeted at adults. Way back in the day when Columbia House had their anime of the month club... 3 movies for a penny and then just $19.95 a month for the rest of your life, while they send you golden anime titles like Project A-ko, Patlabor, The Venus Wars, Lupin the 3rd. Of course they also had Record of Lodoss War and Slayers too.
    Run.

Also Patlabor is better, I agree, but calling Akira shit is blasphemy.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Movie goers don't wanna see a ballooning human amoeba just like we didn't wanna see a giant alien squid attacking Manhattan. Let's change it to appease the idiot masses.

Fuck you Hollywood. Stop making fucking remakes. Stop butchering them. If you feel the need to replace entire parts of remakes then why are you even bothering remaking them? To make them better? News flash, that hasn't happened yet and will never happen. Piss off and go pay some writers not part of the Hollywood process to come up with original ideas. They're out there, you're just too stupid and greedy to notice. Again, fuck you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    Of course the movie was never going to be as good as the manga. Hard to fit into a 2 hour movie when they're are that many chapters of the manga (seriously, fucking longest manga ever). But it's still one of the best anime movies simply because it was different and weird and had awesome animation. The story is confusing and doesn't make that much sense, but it's still a very fun film to watch.

I will agree that Project A-Ko is the fucking shit though. I loved that, Patlabor and Lupin too.

aduidarnenye

Has Hollywood made a decent anime remake yet? I can't think of one off hand.

Isn't James Franco a bit too old for that part?

Patlabor references really put shivers down my spine. I was watching it on 9/11 when first plane hit.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orson Dara
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by aduidarnenye View Post
    Has Hollywood made a decent anime remake yet? I can't think of one off hand.

Isn't James Franco a bit too old for that part?

Patlabor references really put shivers down my spine. I was watching it on 9/11 when first plane hit.
    America = Never send a child to do a man's job

Japan = Never send a man to do a 14 year old's job

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

My rage will reach an all-time level when this comes out.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_v3A1u11cfE...oy%2BBebop.jpg

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast