• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread

Xbox 360 rattle/grinding noise + Disc Read Error

I've had a problem for a long time with my Xbox making a grinding/rattling noise. I've pretty much narrowed it down to something wrong with the disc drive when the disc slows down. I have seen a few tutorials on how to fix this, but I don't entirely trust random 16 year olds on the internet, so I thought I'd come to BG, seeing as most people here seem to have a clue what's up.

Just wondering, anyone ever opened a 360 and/or disc drive and have any experience, or have fixed this problem? The videos make it seem like the magnet that holds the disc in place is loose, so they say glue it to something, but that seems kinda dodgy, and like Microsoft would have done that to begin with if that fixed things.

Thanks~

You think this is the real Dmitry?
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

I would suggest calling Microsoft and seeing if that's covered by any of their warranties before you open up your box and void the warranty, just in case you might need it for something later, like E-74 error or anything.

1-800-469-9269 is their number if you need it.

Thanks. My Xbox is a launch basic, so doubt it's still got any warranties. Maybe I can see what their repair costs are.

You think this is the real Dmitry?
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

The repair costs are like $140ish I believe? I think Gamestop is having a special where you get an extra $20 if you trade in a console towards a new one, so long as yours still works reasonably you could trade and probably just get a new arcade for cheaper than the repairs without having to wait to ship it.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nours Sruon
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I repaired a 360 recently, and the spare part I was sent had the same exact problem, turned out the magnet was too weak, had to change it by myself.

What you can do is open the DVD drive (few torx / common screw, take care of the shell, it's weird to open), take out a magnet out of a random dead DVD drive you may have around and put it directly on the CD.

(I know not everyone have one..., worst case you can disassemble magnets off anything that spins CD, they're often just glued behind the sticker)

Start Xbox with a CD and see what happens.

Check out if the lens is moving properly as well, you may have to apply grease (or whatever oil you use for cooking, really.) on its rails... (common PS2 problem back then)

Last possibility, lens is getting old, try to clean it with lens cleaning product (human lenses.) or Alcohol 90° on a cotton swab. (I suggest checking this first)

If all this fails:

-Microsoft repairs, 2 weeks but it's going to cost you $140 as mentionned.
    -Exchange / buy new. (Arcades are really cheap.)
    -Change your DVD drive by a new one (a new BenQ costs $30) but you'll have to dump the DVD drive key and flash it onto the new one. (read: expose yourself to a possible ban.)

My 2 cents.

Edit: If your DVD doesn't get kicked out of its trail while loading, it's most likely not the magnet. Xbox DVD spins really fast (burnt my finger having it act as a magnet once), if it was magnet they'd be sent out of the trail. Refer to the lens part in this case.

Old Merits
    BG Level

If register your Xbox on the xbox site, then setup the repair online, they only charge $99. Just got mine back after having heating issues. Took about 2 weeks.