Quote Originally Posted by Reality View Post
    i probably would have
    Not saying I wouldn't have either.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Bregor View Post
    You guys don't even begin to approach the Pens fans.

as a fellow NHL threader, I approve this post to the MAX

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Bozo View Post
    The 2009 thread was disgusting during the World Series... No offense!

One second Yankees fans were like "Fuck game over" then they were like "Fuck yeah big hit!".
    Well, yeah, that's how it goes when you post during the game!

And hey, it could be worse. It could be a NFL thread where there are 5 pages of actual game discussion and 45 pages of Mizango trolling Cowboys fans.

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

It's the fucking world series/playoffs man, if your a fan of either team you should be rooting hard, or go the fuck home.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

So is Johnny Damon ever going to get a job? I think he's already passed the date that Abreau finally signed last year. Normally I try not to be critical of Boras because he's just doing his job but... he failed big time here. When the Yankees offered him 2yr/$14m he shoulda just taken it. It seems like a lot of teams want him but no one wants to dish out a lot of cash. Shame, because the guy can still rake (but not field)

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I take it he turned down the contract that the braves offered him?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dense Fever
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

http://www.thunderblogspot.com/wp-co...oit_final6.jpg

I'm still bitter over Granderson leaving for the Bright Lights; really enjoyed him as a player, quality heart-and-soul guy.
    I'm happy to see Valverde with the Old English D, and very happy to see Verlander locked in for 5 years...
    Hopefully with Valverde in, it will end the perennial closer dilemma? More importantly, does it kill the inane "Zumaya might be our closer in 2010" crazy talk emanating from the Tigers p.r. camp this off season? Let's hope 14 mill buys us a yes and yes!

I still find it extremely odd that the Tigers paid more for him than either Rodney and Lyon got this year, tho. And gave a 1st round draft pick up in 2010 too.
    Is it Dombrowski or is it Illitch who is more or less crazy with the money in the Tigers organization? Gogo Little Ceasar's...

Where will this team get the hitting, though? (thank god Sheffield is not available /facepalm)...

BG's worst Rangers fan
    Fleury 2; Lundqvist 0
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

The Tigers sucks dick and will not even be a factor. Just pointing that out to you.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dense Fever
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by TheKoolAidMan View Post
    The Tigers sucks dick and will not even be a factor. Just pointing that out to you.

At least they can correctly conjugate verbs...

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

uh, lol

That whole Granderson trade was dumb, and Rosenthal made a good point in an article he wrote recently. He thinks the tigers were just fed up with Granderson's off the field charity work. They thought it was taking too much of his time and was affecting his game. Only time will tell if that's the case here in NY, but if that's the reason and it eventually comes out that it was the real reason for the trade, the tigers gonna have a lot of trouble locking more players like him.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by *Shinzon* View Post
    That whole Granderson trade was dumb, and Rosenthal made a good point in an article he wrote recently. He thinks the tigers were just fed up with Granderson's off the field charity work. They thought it was taking too much of his time and was affecting his game. Only time will tell if that's the case here in NY, but if that's the reason and it eventually comes out that it was the real reason for the trade, the tigers gonna have a lot of trouble locking more players like him.
    http://backporch.fanhouse.com/2010/0...ports-obesity/

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Rosenthal is good at getting inside scoops but he's pretty terrible at analyzing them... or anything about baseball for that matter. The Granderson move was a financial decision for the Tigers, to call it anything less is silly. Because:

- Charity work is a bad thing now? Granderson is respected across baseball as "one of the good guys", that isn't a reason to get rid of him

- Even if you could somehow prove his game was slipping, that's something you address with him and the coaching staff, you don't simply give up on someone with his talent...

-... nor do you trade him off a down year. Why would you wait for a bad year to trade and get 50 cents on the dollar? The only logical reason is because you have a willing partner who will take his contract who may not be there later, and you want to save money now.

Also, I want more players on my team who hit 30 HRs when their game is negatively affected.

Quote Originally Posted by Cephius View Post
    So is Johnny Damon ever going to get a job? I think he's already passed the date that Abreau finally signed last year. Normally I try not to be critical of Boras because he's just doing his job but... he failed big time here. When the Yankees offered him 2yr/$14m he shoulda just taken it. It seems like a lot of teams want him but no one wants to dish out a lot of cash. Shame, because the guy can still rake (but not field)
    Boras's job is to get Damon a contract, not to get him more money than he is worth. Damon needs to pull a Felipe Lopez to have any chance imo.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by OctavoGilgamesh View Post
    Boras's job is to get Damon a contract, not to get him more money than he is worth. Damon needs to pull a Felipe Lopez to have any chance imo.
    It's not his job to get him more money that he's worth? I have to disagree... if you hired an agent wouldn't you want him to get you as much money as possible? Wouldn't you fire him if he settled for "whatever"? Anyway, that's what I meant when I said I don't like to be critical of Boras like so many people are. He's doing his job when he gets players crazy contracts.

That said, he clearly failed with Damon because there's little chance he's going to get the money that he turned down from the Yankees.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Rosenthal is good at getting inside scoops but he's pretty terrible at analyzing them... or anything about baseball for that matter. The Granderson move was a financial decision for the Tigers, to call it anything less is silly. Because:

- Charity work is a bad thing now? Granderson is respected across baseball as "one of the good guys", that isn't a reason to get rid of him

- Even if you could somehow prove his game was slipping, that's something you address with him and the coaching staff, you don't simply give up on someone with his talent...

-... nor do you trade him off a down year. Why would you wait for a bad year to trade and get 50 cents on the dollar? The only logical reason is because you have a willing partner who will take his contract who may not be there later, and you want to save money now.

Also, I want more players on my team who hit 30 HRs when their game is negatively affected.
    If it was to save money, why would they have spent so much since?

It definitely wasn't to save money

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Ensam View Post
    If it was to save money, why would they have spent so much since?

It definitely wasn't to save money
    How do you figure that? They needed to extend Verlander, and essentially traded one backloaded contract for another. And they signed a closer for 2 years/14 million. How is that "spending so much"?

It couldn't possibly be to save money. He addressed that by saying they will have this season, and every season after be spending more money to replace granderson. The pursuit of Damon is evidence of that. Granderson would be making LESS, than what the tigers have offered Damon for this year and next. His argument was that the tigers believe his charity work was affecting his motivation as a player. With the amount of work Granderson does, it's hard to argue against that. You can't spend as much time training and preparing yourself for the game, when you're always out doing charity.

While I don't agree with the move or that charity work affects players on the field, I haven't read or heard anything that would support another logically theory as to why they let him go. The move literally makes no sense. None of the prospects acquire from the Yankee's are big league ready, and wont be for some time.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

While I don't agree with the move or that charity work affects players on the field, I haven't read or heard anything that would support another logically theory as to why they let him go. The move literally makes no sense. None of the prospects acquire from the Yankee's are big league ready, and wont be for some time.
    all the prospect the Tigers got are big league ready. Ian Kennedy has been ready, he's just been injured (though he and Edwin Jackson then turn into Max "why the fuck did the Daimondbacks trade me" Schezer and Daniel Schlereth). Phil Coke is ready, and had good peripherals last year, and helps give them a left hander in the bullpen. And Domo has talked about how he thinks Jackson will match Granderson's defense and will continue to build offensively.

I don't think they got as much as they should have for Granderson, but from a prospect of "purely for now and the future for the good of winning ball games" it's not amazingly terrible.

Well that part I was going purely off what MLB trade had said about the prospects.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 416 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast