+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

Music Equipment Question(s).

Looking to upgrade my studio mic, and have narrowed it down as far as price / quality to these two:

AKG Perception 220

&

Electro-Voice Cardinal

Both are condenser mics. I would only be using in a studio situation for vocals, not recording multiple instruments at once. I have an MXL 990, and cannot fucking stand it, even with a really nice preamp.

I've used the Cardinal before, and really liked it (it recorded vocals and bass right out of the amp like a dream) but my Teutonic heritage says AKG is a better bet. Does anyone have any experience or other suggestions in the less-than-$200 range?

Bonus round: Any suggestions for 88-weighted MIDI controllers? Have my eye on this since I used to own one, but am keeping an open mind.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

MP3oidh

Banned.

BG Level

not really down on mics (i use a pod 2 and a podxt for recording purposes vs my amps), but for your midi, what are you using now opposed to that? if its only a slight upgrade, dont worry about it. from what my ears have heard, the whole $300-900 range of boards all have a pretty similar sound quality and the costs are almost always dependent on brand/features (some of which are always pointless. no, i dont want to make shit sound like helicopters). personally, id just save for something a little closer to the professional quality range and not worry so much about small upgrades (unless you dont have one at all now)

DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    MP3oidh
    Upgrade to red and we'll talk.

As far as the controller goes, I'd be happy with a 61 or even a 49 but there isn't a single controller on the market in that size with weighted keys, which is kind of a prereq for me. Like I mentioned I had the KX8 up until recently, and was just fishing for finding out if anyone had any experience with other similar products.

And nothing on mics? C'mon, BG, I know there are a couple musicfags on here.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by isladar View Post
    Upgrade to red and we'll talk.
    buuu, I was hoping to hear an islarap or something.

so i herd u liek trollin
    BG Level

Sing to me Isladar. <3

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Klutz View Post
    Sing to me Isladar. <3
    http://ofthefunk.com/funnys/i-shall-...-my-people.jpg

Dolmen

I own the EV Cardinal, and I've really enjoyed it. It's done a great job recording screechy/raspy black metal, death metal, and Gregorian chant style vocals, so it's got a nice, wide range. I've heard numerous people say it's a really great mic for female vocals, I've never tried that though. It's also really great for miking amps and acoustic/classical guitars. I really only use it for my classical guitar now when I record as my band mate got his own mic.

The AKG I wasn't impressed with. From the little I messed around with it at the local music shop, it's a good mic, but the EV gives more bang for the buck.

DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dolmen View Post
    I own the EV Cardinal, and I've really enjoyed it. It's done a great job recording screechy/raspy black metal, death metal, and Gregorian chant style vocals, so it's got a nice, wide range. I've heard numerous people say it's a really great mic for female vocals, I've never tried that though. It's also really great for miking amps and acoustic/classical guitars. I really only use it for my classical guitar now when I record as my band mate got his own mic.

The AKG I wasn't impressed with. From the little I messed around with it at the local music shop, it's a good mic, but the EV gives more bang for the buck.
    Thank you, that was exactly the sort of thing I was looking to hear.

Dolmen

What style of vocals and/or music are you trying to record with it? I've heard some people say that there can be too much high end, dealing a brighter sound than desired. Naturally, you can stand further back from the mic when recording vocals, but I don't know what register(s) you sing in.

DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

Mid-alto to soprano, I suppose, though I lose being able to sing from my diaphragm at higher registers.

Was a little concerned with the EV vs. AKG as far as durability, since the Perceptions are solid as hell, but if it's a studio mic I guess that doesn't really matter, does it.

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by isladar View Post
    Mid-alto to soprano, I suppose, though I lose being able to sing from my diaphragm at higher registers.

Was a little concerned with the EV vs. AKG as far as durability, since the Perceptions are solid as hell, but if it's a studio mic I guess that doesn't really matter, does it.
    Depends on how tidy your work area is. I've never gotten around to getting a single cabinet for all my racks and amps, cords all over the place, and while I keep mics stowed away 99% of the time, I used to trip over cords all the goddamn time.

Gunitsoldier

Dammit was hoping this was about DJ equipment

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

unrelated question but is your name G-unit soldier, or gun it soldier?

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

regardless of how he answers you KNOW he is g unit soldier

he will say gun it soldier to

BUT WTF IS A GUN IT SOLDIER?

Gunitsoldier

I had my FFXI account made by my brother who named the char Gunitsoldier - meant as G Unit Soldier - and I named my BG account after my char so it would be clear who I was. I moved to Ramuh for a year and when I came back to Hades I had chance to rename it so I renamed it Bazing but BG name stays ofc.

tl;dr: G Unit Soldier (even though it's not my genre of music)

DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jakson View Post
    Depends on how tidy your work area is. I've never gotten around to getting a single cabinet for all my racks and amps, cords all over the place, and while I keep mics stowed away 99% of the time, I used to trip over cords all the goddamn time.
    Fuck. That. Ugh. I've almost broken my leg I don't know how many times tripping over cables and whatnot. No matter how nicely you set things up, inevitably you'll have to run from something to something else and there is magically a xlr cable stretched out and oh yes you'll fall on your face.

All right. Besides the FASCINATING pm-able diversions, I guess the cardinal is what I'll go with, especially since I think Sam Ash is pushing them for $99 (out of stock at the moment, of course)

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Isladar my friend is currently using an AKG Perception 420 and he loves it alot. He upgrading from the 220 and loves the 420. Says he gets a better/clearer sound.

Dolmen

Jesus, $99? Guitar Center sells them for $200 (I got mine for $160 from a mom-n-pop music store) with a "Guaranteed Lowest Price" on it.

As for wire messes... I used to keep the wires inside of those snake tubes or whatever they're called, but then I started tripping over them. Whenever my band has a rehearsal it's an absolute mess. When I mic the drums, it's an ungodly mess. Eventually I'm going to build my own home studio with all the freaking wiring in the walls.

DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

Cardinal Electro Voice, $99, though marked as "Coming Soon".

And yeah, if I can find a 420 at a decent price I'd go for that, but between the 220 and the EV I'mma go for the EV, just because of familiarity and the fact that I love the sound.