+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Red dots?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Red dots?

Hey..

So, I just bought a new PC, 3 days ago. Now it's like the video card is faililing. I keep getting red dots all over the screen and the graphics 'disappear' sometimes (turns green or into thin lines instead, you know what I mean <_<).

It worked perfectly for the first two days. No problems at all. It started to happen in Aion, but now I'm getting it from just being on the desktop/firefox.

Is this a common problem? Should I try and get a new card? Could it be a driver or a settings problem?

Windows 7 - 64 bit
    Code:
    Ati Radeon HD5850 1024mb GDDR5
    Intel Core I5 750 2,66Ghz 
    2x2GB PC10600 1333Mhz DDR3 Ram
    FH Power 600w Low Noise 12-18DB Real watt
    Asrock P55M Pro Motherboard
    Intel Box Cooler, Low Noise
    Thanks.

Make sure an install the newest ati drivers. This is a known problem which they have released drivers to fix.

The Wang
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Furt Wangler
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...rruptions.aspx

fix from amd regarding that exact issue with the 5800 series. download install etc should fix it

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Neither of them fixed it, I'm afraid. =/

Edit: I tried uninstalling the drivers completely, and it still does it, without any installed.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

used driver cleaner in safe mode?

The Wang
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Furt Wangler
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

try experimenting with different driver setups, see http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88745
    use driver cleaner in between the uninstall in safe mode to ensure that it wipes the old drivers. then apply the fix i linked earlier. It's always possible your card is dead though

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

It's weird. The dots always make a pattern (different ones for most situations, but always the same for them individually). They're there when I boot the PC up, next to the "Starting/Initiating Windows", always in the same pattern, and they're there when I boot up in Safe Mode.

I'll try and see if Driver Cleaner can fix it, but I somewhat doubt that. I'm also positive that they weren't there 3 days ago, when I first started it up. It started doing it yesterday.

Edit: Oh and to note - I don't know if it's of any relevance - but when I move my mouse over a dot, it's hidden. So the mouse is a 'layer' in front of it, but programs aren't, if that makes any sense.

Ignore that ^. They don't appear on a white background, which is why I thought that about the mouse.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Well, I called them up, and they say it's the graphic card, as I feared, so I'll be sending it back.

Thanks for trying, guys.