+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Monster Hunter Tri     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Black Belt
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Franzer View Post
    Monster Hunter is like Disgaea in my opinion as, you either love the game to death and play it into the ground, or its not for you. Most of the people i talk to that hated it for psp, hated it because of the camera, not because of the game itself. The multiplayer can be a blast though, and since its on wii, it will have a much larger audience i think.
    I fucking hate it for the shitty control and the camera, both of the problem that can be easily solved with lock-on, which they don't seem to put in because apparently locking on is for pussies.

Old Merits
    BG Level

I dunno, I never really found the lack of lock on to be a problem. I always saw it as intentional and integral to the gameplay style. Camera was a nuisance at some points though, yeah.

E. Body
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    I fucking hate it for the shitty control and the camera, both of the problem that can be easily solved with lock-on, which they don't seem to put in because apparently locking on is for pussies.
    locking on is for pussies

that being said, claw or gtfo

(looking forward to hunting with you bros!)

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaiseran Gustaberg
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Akama

I've been playin the JP version, warming up. It's me and my cousin that plays mostly. I would love to play with all of you guys as well. I love MH. I've been playing since the first.

If you really have that much trouble with the camera, you can always get Remotejoy and play with a gamepad. Just started doing that last night in preparation for Tri, and it solves any camera issues you may have.

As for Tri, I can't wait, I've put somewhere around 200 hours into MHFU, and just started playing it again with my room mate. Multi player hunts are the shit

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

There's a demo disc that's suppose to come out on March 8th at Gamestop, but a lot of stores are getting it early.
    It has 20-minute quests against the Great Jaggi and the Qurupeco, so not dissimilar from the JP demo that came out last year. Just in glorious roman letters.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Time to jack my Wii back from my friends. This will be epic ;3 Sadly I won't have as much time to play until mid May. Fucking studios.

Just picked up my Demo disc. I was only in there to ask how many they thought they would get... and he flipped the case around on the counter. I think that the guy working there was more psyched about it than anyone else i have talked to lol. Now I just have to finish work...

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Grea we have to co-op, yo.

♥ Neliel ♥
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Suzunomia Hymnos
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Never played any Monster Hunter game before. I guess now would be a good time to start and I'll get to bring out the Wii again. I don't even know the slightest thing about a Monster Hunter game besides the fact that everyone always talk about how fucking awesome it is and online is fun.

Sounds good Kyo, I know one of my best friends has this pre-ordered as well. Can't wait.

Slightly off topic: I am debating whether or not I want to buy a tri-wing screwdriver and try to fix the buzzing/vibrating noise that my Wii makes now. I am reading it is a simple fix once you get the case off (which is not so simple). Just not sure it is worth the time and money right now.

EDIT: Question, is anyone planning on grabbing the WiiSpeak or Endless Ocean 2 (as it comes with it)? I wasn't, since i have a USB keyboard and generally play with my headphones on but now I don't know. My friend picked up EO2 for it (and because he likes the game).

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Well Im picking up a wii when this releases, Ill pick up the wii speak/ animal crossing bundle. I dont plan on picking up endless ocean however.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi View Post
    Never played any Monster Hunter game before. I guess now would be a good time to start and I'll get to bring out the Wii again. I don't even know the slightest thing about a Monster Hunter game besides the fact that everyone always talk about how fucking awesome it is and online is fun.
    They are fun online, that is all.
    Single player... pretty crappy experience overall. I mean, unless you enjoy endlessly grinding monsters for equip that lets you kill stronger monsters so you can grind their equip to kill stronger monsters so that you can grind their equip etc.
    (There is no other content, no story or anything)

The gameplay is also... not that great, the camera on the PSP titles just makes it feel even worse. Don't get me wrong, Monster Hunter games aren't terrible but they are far from awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Domon Kasshu View Post
    [snip]unless you enjoy endlessly grinding monsters for equip that lets you kill stronger monsters so you can grind their equip to kill stronger monsters so that you can...
    That is actually what really kept me going in the first one I (really) played, which was MH Freedom for PSP. I really really enjoyed seeing how high i could go solo only. I had no other option really as XLink Kai wasn't something I was going to setup, and no local adhoc friends to play with at the time.

For the most part it was the same when I started playing Monster Hunter Portable 2nd (and then 2nd G) only at that point it was in 100% Japanese.

It was a blast, so so frustrating at times (here's looking at you Rajang) but once you get the strategy down for a boss, it is fun to see what you are going to walk away with. And once you see that carve come off that you were looking for... well worth it.

Graphics were/are what they were/are. Take it or leave it, and the camera as well. It is all very comparable to Demon's Souls to me. You are going to love it or hate it based largely on difficulty and controls. You either adapt and enjoy the hell out of it or you don't and it gets sold/returned.

I know that it isn't for everyone, my good friend still wets himself and starts crying when i utter the name Tigrex (he is an amateur... what can i say) but Duoing with him once he picked up MHF was a blast.

Can't wait ... and if you haven't seen them, check out the Switch Axe weapon and demo disc gameplay here:

Demo Walkthrough Part I

Demo Walkthrough Part II

One last thing to consider if you have tried a past Monster Hunter title and disliked it. When I first started playing it on PSP Xlink Kai was really the only way to go for online groups. Unless you were lucky enough to have a bunch of friends that you could play locally with. No AdhocParty on PS3...

The lack of a pay to play charge, and the fact that this is on a console have me hopeful that this will be much more well received than the PSP titles have been. Either way, I am damned excited to check out that Switch-Axe in a few hours. =) I think anyone who has had even a bit of fun with a past title would do well to check it out. Disclaimer: I don't work for Gamestop or Capcom =P

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Thulius Deorum
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

So I've been screwing around with the demo for the past 30 minutes or so and I realized I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing. In the first hunt I had no trouble staying alive with sword/shield but I managed to time out before I could actually kill the thing. Then I tried heavy bowgun and well, lol. Never really gave the series a chance before because it just doesn't seem like the kind of thing I'd play alone, but free multiplayer has me interested in Tri.

Any tips for a new player so I don't (completely) embarrass myself come release day?

Stay away from Bow Gun =P No, not really, but the bows and 'guns' are such a huge contrast to the melee weapons as far as control. It takes a lot of getting used to. In the past I have been a Bow user mostly (when i could get away with it) then Hammer or Long Sword.

Getting the aiming mechanics and ammunition switching/coating down is a must for ranged users I would say. Just play around with the Bowguns for a bit without actually going after the boss. Some ammo is insanely powerful against certain mobs... just a matter of being able to aim and use it before you are getting mowed down.

For anyone that doesn't have it bookmarked, great source of info here:

Monster Hunter Wikia

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Bowguns are definitely easy and feel more comfortable than the other weapons.
    I found MHFU more enjoyable when I switched over the HBG... felt like a boss at first blasting all those monsters, I was hoping for a little more variety though.

If there were some types of skills you could learn somehow to mix up the gameplay I definitely could have stuck it out. (I could have switched weapons, sure enough but it was already getting to be boring grinding for good HBGs and armor, didn't want to add another weapon-type or two to the mix) Hell, when I started my second character I just said screw it and didn't even bother to upgrade armor lmao.
    I remember fighting Kushala Daora and Tigrex for the first time in the Hunter's Armor set since I never bothered to upgrade since getting that armor

Basically couldn't allow myself to get hit at all which made the fight a bit more interesting, still wasn't enough to keep me playing much longer though.

Looking at the Wikia, there seem to be far less monsters in this one. Anyone know if that is the case for sure? I am gonna miss Kirin... that GD motherscratchin' Unicorn!

List of Monsters from MHFU

List of Monsters from MH3

Seems so empty...

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Seems smaller than MHFU list but a lot of those are just reskins. I didn't bother to check to see how many are but I know most of the monsters are certainly reskins.

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Yeah its like 1/3 of the amount of creatures, man thats a big letdown. May hafta wait on this one afterall. Would rather wait till they bring it to the PS3.