+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyHobo View Post
    I was going to play the game one way or another, and I probably wasn't going to buy it one way or another. This way I just don't have to use a Gamefly rental slot for a week or two on it.
    Yeah, but you can justify murder/robbing/rape/etc if you put yourself in the right mindset.

I'm not saying I'm totally anti-piracy, I'm just saying that you should recognize that what you're doing hurts someone else and their livelihood.

I appreciate you playing the game, and seemingly having nice things to say about it, I just really wish you'd consider supporting people's hard work, even if at the VERY least you use your gamefly slot on it so some sort of validity is attached to you playing it.

Unfortunately publishers don't use #of leechers to determine if they want to pay you to make a video game

Quote Originally Posted by Shojin View Post
    Cool, now that is a game I'm really looking forward to.

As you should be

well clearly pirating a game is the same things as KILLING MILLIONS OF JEWS

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Atreides View Post
    THATS WHAT I'M SAYING!

At least somebody gets it.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Quote Originally Posted by Atreides View Post
    well clearly common murder is the same thing as MASS GENOCIDE

EDIT: I think my biggest problem with the game is that I went into it thinking it would be Mass Effect with spies instead of specters. The more I give up on that notion, the more I'm able to enjoy it for what it is.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I'm just saying, piracy leaves no trace from a commercial standpoint so TV shows get canceled, video game publishers don't get future titles, bands get dropped from labels etc. I'm sure I don't have to spell it out for you, everyone realizes what they're doing is wrong when they do it.

We just find ways to justify it.

That's all I'm going to say on the matter. I'm smart enough to realize that I can't change the fact that my games will be pirated, and people here will play pirated copies and aren't the least bit concerned that I know about it

Part of me is just glad you're playing/enjoying it. I just wish you'd support the hard work and late nights we put into it, or at least have the decency to keep the fact that you pirated it to yourself.

Banned.

BG Level

Seems like GT was hating on it for not being a FPS/TPS. Which is retarded. Butttt... to be expected. Ever since the release of games like Fallout 3(probably Mass Effect 2 being a better example) the idea of a stat-heavy shooter probably seems impossible to them. Now stat-based mechanics are "archaic" and what not.

That said, if the challenges are not well balanced around the mechanics than it really doesn't matter how it works. Like the guy was complaining about how slow they were, but he wasn't dying either. And if boss battles suck, then boss battles suck. Plus he made it sound some skills are OP(invisibility mainly).

EDIT: How moddable will this game be on PC?

EDIT: Who exactly do you need to justify pirating a game to? Assuming you are not being sued by some corp.

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

i was going to consider buying this... but after i saw some gameplay videos and the stupidity of the AI(from what i've seen.) i just dont know. i may need to raise the pirate flag and try before i buy.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Quote Originally Posted by BRP View Post
    Seems like GT was hating on it for not being a FPS/TPS. Which is retarded. Butttt... to be expected. Ever since the release of games like Fallout 3(probably Mass Effect 2 being a better example) the idea of a stat-heavy shooter probably seems impossible to them. Now stat-based mechanics are "archaic" and what not.

That said, if the challenges are not well balanced around the mechanics than it really doesn't matter how it works. Like the guy was complaining about how slow they were, but he wasn't dying either. And if boss battles suck, then boss battles suck. Plus he made it sound some skills are OP(invisibility mainly).
    The guns are pretty weak, from both the shooter and the target side. I've had a much better time just bullrushing in and meleeing everyone to death. I've still got some complaints about the AI's detection system, I seem to get randomly spotted for no apparent reason, as well as having the guards constantly know your exact position even if they haven't seen you in the last 45 seconds is a bit... last-gen, I suppose. Can't say too much about the boss battles, only really had one so far, and it was kind of a meh "take cover, find rocket, shoot tank, repeat x4" fight.

The invisibility really isn't as overpowered as it would sound on paper, there's only 2 abilities that I know of, one is an auto-use ability where if you get detected, you go invisible for 2/4/5 (depending on the skill's level) seconds, which isn't too much, on top of having a 5 minute cooldown. It's basically the "oh shit I screwed up" saving grace ability. The other is an on-command invisibility that lasts 10(?) seconds, but also wears off if you run/shoot/attack. Haven't gotten to play around with it too much yet.

EDIT: How moddable will this game be on PC?
    iirc, it's an Unreal Engine game, which aren't really the most mod-friendly, but there's some room for it.

EDIT: Who exactly do you need to justify pirating a game to? Assuming you are not being sued by some corp.
    You don't. If you have to justify it, you're just making up bullshit. It's like doing illegal drugs, you either do it or you don't, there's no real excuse but chances are that won't stop you from doing it.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I had high hopes for this.

Looks like a rental or the other way then.

Banned.

BG Level

From NeoGaf

Quote Originally Posted by Cep
    Tips for enjoying Alpha Protocol:

-Get the game on PC: Even if you play it on the lowest settings possible, you are doing yourself a favor for now and for when tweaks/patches/mods are released

-If you are tear sensitive (or like stable games), ignore the ps3 version like the fucking plague.

-Choose dialogue options other than Professional: It is a bit too safe, even when people prefer you be professional with them

-Play it as a stealth game and not an action game.

-To this end, max Stealth (mandatory 3~4 levels) and Pistols, and invest in melee

-If you insist on playing it like a shooter (Putting levels in stealth is still mandatory), either go Assault Rifle or go home.

-Mix up the hubs. You do not have to do all the hubs one at a time, you can hop from place to place.

-Challenge yourself with the stats. A no-kill run is not only possible, but extremely rewarding.

-Bum the game off of people so you can spend your money on SMG2 and get the best of all worlds

-Have realistic expectations (especially after Kotor 2)
    And from what I've read this game plays poorly on PS3, but seemed to be designed(UI, etc) for console.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

From NeoGaf

And from what I've read this game plays poorly on PS3, but seemed to be designed(UI, etc) for console.
    It plays best on Xbox360, in my opinion. However you'll always get higher resolution textures on PC if that's your thing (see: fallout3 PC vs console)

And I'd like to add that many people have had CRAZY amounts of success with SMG's on their playthrough.

Banned.

BG Level

This game seems to need patches. So what I am most interested in hearing from you is word on patches.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

This game seems to need patches. So what I am most interested in hearing from you is word on patches.
    You'd have to ask SEGA, not me

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Really not surprised that another sega published game plays terribly on the PS3, I swear Obsidian better not fuck up New Vegas.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by nitsuj View Post
    Not ragging on MW2, just ragging on the bandwagon. Everyone always loves the same games, everyone repeats the same shit about every game that comes out that they heard somewhere else (i.e. the whole KotorII "They cut a whole planet" BS. Most people can't tell me any more than that after they start bashing obsidian).

I put a lot of my time into AP for almost a year, after it had been in production for probably 3. I was in charge of figuring out major show stopping bugs and fixing the code that made them crash. I'm proud to say that there are very few (if any) left in the game. Non-pirated versions run great for me.

I don't wanna put my troll face on here man but sers, in the face of criticism it behooves you not to react like you're on deviantart and straw man people with "pff grafficks r 4 casuals" and "go play MW4". Sometimes people are proud of things they should be more critical of.

But I think I'll play this. Going through tragically flawed games like KOTOR2 and Torment are usually fascinating case studies.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Cadsuane View Post
    I don't wanna put my troll face on here man but sers, in the face of criticism it behooves you not to react like you're on deviantart and straw man people with "pff grafficks r 4 casuals" and "go play MW4". Sometimes people are proud of things they should be more critical of.

But I think I'll play this. Going through tragically flawed games like KOTOR2 and Torment are usually fascinating case studies.
    I'm not meaning to get all "Deviant art" on you haha. I'm just ragging on the people who just spew the same lines they read in reviews, or on another forum etc (i.e. the planet was cut from kotor stuff).

If someone plays my game, more than just like the first mission or two, and can have an intelligent conversation with me to why it sucks I'd love it. But more often than not I'll get the kind of person who just repeats what he read on destructoid, or a reviewer who gives it a bad score and everything in his review is from the first 30 minutes of the game (obviously so he could be the first blog to post a "review") and it bugs the shit out of me.

I just want people to make their opinions, if that makes sense. From an internet troll perspective, reading one person say "NWN2 had a buggy game engine from the first" and then repeating it.... they think it sounds witty and smart and "educated on the topic at hand" but from a guy who worked on the project and (against his better judgement) read ALL the reviews and forum posts... that type of person just sounds like an idiot.

(I hope that makes sense).

And if someone reading this has complained about the things but has actually played the games and made their own opinions, you do NOT fall into the subject of this post. In fact, you rock and I'm sorry the game(s) didn't live up to your expectation but thank you for playing them

EDIT: And if you read the negative press and choose not the play it, that's fine too. I recognize the importance of reviews/criticism etc. Just choose to not play it and let it be, don't rehash the stuff you read because we've heard it more times than you

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Fair enough.

I'd tap that turian!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

From NeoGaf

That's what I was hoping to hear. Game looks like it'll be just fine then, people just went in with the completely wrong expectations.

if you want people to make their own opinions on the game maybe you should be honest and tell us what problems you think the game has, rather than pretend it doesn't have any, or worse that players are doing something wrong in encountering/not being able to see past them

I'm probably going to end up playing this on 360 when I do pick it up, but considering I don't spend a full 60 bucks on much anymore these days I'll almost certainly wait... although that probably would have happened regardless of reviews, unless they were across teh board awesome

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Same, If I get it, it'll be later this year.

Spoiler: show
    Better not fuck up New Vegas, dammit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast