Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 112 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    Konda

lv99 bitch/speculation/etc thread --- Interview on page 27

I feel this deserves a seperate thread to the live feed thread, as a lot of the other things they're announcing sounds very good.

Level Cap Increase
    History is about to be made with the increase of the level cap in the March version update and beyond! The increase will take place in stages until the new maximum, level 99, has been reached.

Up until now, character strength has been limited to level 75, and additions to the game such as monsters, strategic content, and equipment had been designed to correspond to this.

However, with the game having reached a certain level of maturity and the bulk of existing notorious monsters having already fallen prey to tenacious bands of adventurers, the development team has deemed that the time is now ripe for the bar to be raised.
    Level Cap Considerations
    We are aware that players will inevitably feel concern over how in-game elements such as support jobs, experience camps, and merit points will be affected by this change. We would like to take a moment to explain the measures that are in the pipes to preserve game balance.

Support job abilities that are not expected to steal the limelight from main jobs as a result of the level cap increase will be allowed to come into play. Furthermore, there are plans to tweak certain job abilities, job traits, and magic spells on an ongoing basis in order to further accentuate the uniqueness of each job when used in a main role, as well as its versatility when playing a supporting role.

New camping grounds are scheduled to be added to cater to the anticipated rise in demand for experience parties. Furthermore, the redistribution of monsters in existing areas is also under consideration.

An increase in maximum upgrades is being considered for existing merit point skills and attributes. Preparations are also under way for the introduction of a new type of merit point for players who have reached the new level 99 summit.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who views the level cap increase as a potentially very bad thing for game balance. The game has been designed for balance around lv75 for years, and changing this can potentially cause huge game inbalance.

They've explained that xp mobs and other various aspects like support job abilities will be tweaked about balance, but I'm more concerned with the current "endgame" content, expecially (H)NMs.

If the level cap was lv99, every HNM in the game, as it stands, would be less than even match. dynamis would be a zone full of easy preys. limbus would be solo-able by practically any job (including omega/ultima). anyone would be able to kill the lesser 24hr nms without breaking a sweat (cassie/serket/bune/etc). Kings would be laughable, especially NQs, where 2 of them are already soloable.

To get around this, SE will either have to:

-increase the level of all these mobs
    -or inflict a level restriction upon the fight/zone

If they increase the level of the mob, it would be difficult to adjust it accordingly without adjusting the difficulty of the fights.

This brings me to my second point, equipment.

If the level cap is lv99 everywhere, and you're suddently slapped with level restrictions when you claim a (H)NM or enter a zone, it's likely that everyone will need to carry around gears sets for both lv99 and lv75.

I don't know about anyone else, but I have enough problems with level inventory space as it is. I physically can't carry around potentially the same amount of extra equipment for lv 99 situations ontop of what I already have.

It is also difficult to see how they will introduce another 24 levels of equipment without replacing most of what is currently accepted to be the best pieces of equipment. sky equipment, salvage equipment, cursed equipment etc. I'm sure they've said that salvage equipment is supposed to be the best equipment in the game (if only situationally) and is thus justifies the amount of time/effort/gil required to complete a set.

Will they make current "best" equipment obsolete with new additions?

Trial of the Magians
    “Trial of the Magians” is the title given to a new quest series designed especially for level 75 characters.

The quests will be divided into a number of categories, and progression in each will allow players to earn different rewards. The following quest branches and more are being considered:

- Weapon enhancement.
    - Armor enhancement.

Current weapons look to be upgraded, although new, lv75+ additions are most likely

Enhancing a Weapon
    A Trial of the Magians weapon enhancement quest can be initiated by first trading a suitable weapon to a Magian Moogle NPC, at which point a list of corresponding quests will be displayed. Players may choose a quest based on difficulty level and the enhancement they would like added to their weapon, which will be granted upon the fulfillment of the quest objective.

A single weapon can undergo numerous upgrades. By trading an already-enhanced weapon to a Magian Moogle, players can undertake successive quests to have it further improved. Multiple quests can be undertaken simultaneously.

By repeating the quests, up to 80 different features can be added to a single weapon. With figures such as Damage and Delay added to the equation, there exist 500 possible attribute patterns for a single quest branch!
    I can only hope that this works on things like perdu weapons/hagun etc, to keep them at the best/near best weapons available for the jobs that use them.

There are also plans to make it possible to enhance Relic and Mythic weapons through Trial of the Magians. While players can expect quest difficulty to far exceed similar quests released thus far, we are confident the rewards will make it more than worth the while!
    have fun making relic+1s

tl;dr: I see lv 75+ only being available in certain areas, designed for this increased level cap. the amount of reprogramming required otherwise would be immense.

Kinda lost track of what I was originally trying to say besides the lv99 in only some areas.

Was wondering what other people think on the whole lv99 thing.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kael'thas

aegis pld75 looking for exp pt . getting 99 gonna be a pain D:

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Few thoughts in my head with it.

1. 99 COR makes me hot.
    2. Could be effort on SE's part to keep players leveling/playing when XIV comes out.
    3. New addons will be even worse than the previous 3
    4. Holy shit think of all the stuff that will be soloable now or even 10x easier.

Dear Titan server:

Dibs on Korroloka Tunnel.

Love, Blackhatchy

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I always wondered what would make me quit FF, this looks like it might do it.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rubett Inc
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Nice knowing you~

/quit

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Its funny when ppl bitch saying SE would never raise the cap for so long unlike WoW. I have full faith in SE unlike most people. Regardless of a shitty past, they've gotten way better on how they please their fans... well minus slow updates and the messing with their various augmenting systems (now at 4).

I'm pretty sure they won't just drop a cap on everyone and then break the game automatically; obviously lvl 76~99 will be geared towards newer content that would be hereafter added. From there I'm sure they'll adjust a few NMs and events here and there based on the challenge.

I pray on everything that they keep Dynamis the way it is however. Fuck that 3 1/2 hours of killing bullshit, lol.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Why increase the lvl of kings or have lvl restrictions in those zones? Why not just let them become obsolete content and solve all the complaints that surround them. SE could then replace them will better designed content.

Quote Originally Posted by BardonGaruda View Post
    Why increase the lvl of kings or have lvl restrictions in those zones? Why not just let them become obsolete content and solve all the complaints that surround them. SE could then replace them will better designed content.
    I totally agree.

Quit your bitchin' people jeez...

The same people been moaning and groaning about kings for what seems
    like forever. Now they and hopefully the gear will become obsolete...

I dont get it. Isn't this what people want?

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander
    WoW Realm
    Stormscale

OMFG SE NO! don't fuckin raise the level cap this is retarded, instance dynamis and limbus instead or something

this is worse bs then the salvage bannings ughh

Quote Originally Posted by Lovex View Post
    I totally agree.

Its not going to happen. The level 99 will only be accessible in the new content Ares level 99 would break the fucking game.

Yo yesterday when we where lowman on AV we had to send like 12 ppl to hold PW b4 Japs got the pop anyways i was balls deep in my girl at the time....

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Jesus fuck this is going to be insane @_@

Farming will be better...heh..TH2 from /THF45

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Lovex View Post
    I totally agree.

Oh not bitching at all. I find shit funny. Can never please the average FFXI gamer, it's too ingrained that SE will screw things up somehow. Before it was all about SE never jumping the shark and giving us amazing updates. they finally jumped the shark waaaaaaaaaaaaay over and people bitch still. "Omg game is broken now, omg my gear is outdated, omg game will suck."

IMO, I could careless if they leave kings and other things outdated, it's a welcome change to me either way. The only thing I see however, is that there would only be so many things for the average lvl 99 player to do if they release all of this too fast.

Some people you just can't please however.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

I think it sounds like a bitch and a half, both to level the jobs to 99 (and subjobs as well) and to own enough gear for both 'caps'.

But ain't gonna knock it before I try it, because if I was gonna be pessimistic about it I probably would have already quit after hearing this bullshit news.

Konda

Quote Originally Posted by Dramafinderftw View Post
    Its not going to happen. The level 99 will only be accessible in the new content Ares level 99 would break the fucking game.
    This is what is most likely to happen imo.

Every day I'm wafflin'
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

As I've been saying to people since I woke up, despite my scepticism of the FFXI developers I really can't see them having decided to up the level cap by 24 levels on a total whim. This game has had a level cap of 75 for, what, more than six years? Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic, but I really can't imagine the devs making that huge a decision without thinking it through very carefully indeed. Maybe it won't be handled particularly well, but I very much doubt they'd intentionally warp the game they've spent almost a decade developing beyond all recognition in a single patch.

The few people I've spoken to, and evidently a number of people on here, are acting like this is the FFXI apocalypse, and I don't understand why. Sure, maybe the 99 cap will turn the game on its head, but is that necessarily a bad thing? Personally I'd rather see the game shaken up and altered drastically for the last year or so of its life than watch it continue to stagnate and thin out as it has been for the past couple of years. Even if game balance is irreparably fucked up, at least it means we're not just going to be sitting in a collective stupor doing the same shit we've all been doing for the past however many years until XIV finally goes live. This, to me, is exciting.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander
    WoW Realm
    Stormscale

I woulda been ok with an increase to 80, that might be interesting, get back on some subs for 3 levels, nice change of pace. Nothing game breaking really, (incrase convert to 41 imo b/c like, sch/rdm would be an MP machine), give HNM's a buff so they're actually challanging again maybe and it will be fun.

edit: Everything will scale so it wouldn't break the game but it would break our back. Only thing im not sure how it would work is gear that used to be pimp... Augments necessary to not be gimp? Don't really like it

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Meh, just wait and see. SE might adjust HNM levels and shit.

You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by drwaffles View Post
    As I've been saying to people since I woke up, despite my scepticism of the FFXI developers I really can't see them having decided to up the level cap by 24 levels on a total whim. This game has had a level cap of 75 for, what, more than six years? Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic, but I really can't imagine the devs making that huge a decision without thinking it through very carefully indeed. Maybe it won't be handled particularly well, but I very much doubt they'd intentionally warp the game they've spent almost a decade developing beyond all recognition in a single patch.

The few people I've spoken to, and evidently a number of people on here, are acting like this is the FFXI apocalypse, and I don't understand why. Sure, maybe the 99 cap will turn the game on its head, but is that necessarily a bad thing? Personally I'd rather see the game shaken up and altered drastically for the last year or so of its life than watch it continue to stagnate and thin out as it has been for the past couple of years. Even if game balance is irreparably fucked up, at least it means we're not just going to be sitting in a collective stupor doing the same shit we've all been doing for the past however many years until XIV finally goes live. This, to me, is exciting.
    All of that ^ I for one will be quitting regardless this year to finish up in college. I welcome this change over my normal procedure of fishing for a few hours while doing homework bored of all other content I've done to death. (And people that know me on Carbuncle know I've done damn near everything this game has to offer sans AV and PW.)