+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PS3 & USB Sticks     submit to reddit submit to twitter

PS3 & USB Sticks

HALP!

I've been trying for an hour now to get my PS3 to recognize my USB stick so I can watch DivX movies straight off it...I burned the said file onto a CD-RW and it read it without any problems.

It's not a PS3 Slim and has the latest software update...in case that has any effect on it.

The USB Stick is a 4GB model and I tried the following things:
    -create VIDEO, MUSIC & PICTURE folders: nothing
    -create PS3 folder and put the folders in there: nothing
    -browse through every single menu on my PS: nothing

I can't think of anything that would resolve my problems and Google only gives me 2 year old threads...

Anyone know a solution to my problem?

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Does it recognize the USB stick? If so go to video then high light the usb stick and click triangle and navigate and find your movie. Do you know if the PS3 can read the movie?

It doesn't recognize the stick...no. Could it have to do with the format the stick is formatted in? Like FAT/NTFS...?

The PS3 plays the movie fine off of a CD, yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekonaruto View Post
    It doesn't recognize the stick...no. Could it have to do with the format the stick is formatted in? Like FAT/NTFS...?

The PS3 plays the movie fine off of a CD, yup.
    Stick needs to be in FAT format.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

It could be that it has to be in FAT or something. I know my PS3 can read Ipods/MP3 players via USB your best bet if it can't be read is to get a SD card. When you plug it in does it say "Unrecongized etc" at the top of the screen?

Ok, formatting it to normal FAT worked...it was in FAT32 before. Thanks a lot for your help guys

Edit: before I formatted it didn't say anything at all at the top of the screen...the USB stick's light lit up and that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Veikuri View Post
    It could be that it has to be in FAT or something. I know my PS3 can read Ipods/MP3 players via USB your best bet if it can't be read is to get a SD card. When you plug it in does it say "Unrecongized etc" at the top of the screen?
    It can do that with an iPod? I never knew - do I just plug it in and it'll work then?

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

yeah you just go to Triangle > Display all > Ipod_control > music, but most if not all of my songs were in a ASHGF type of name.